On the fence about ordering a '14 GT500

Cobra 2997

Established Member
I'm on the fence about ordering a '14 GT500....part of me thinks that it's the best and baddest Mustang ever built & it's also the last of it's kind before the '15 restyle with less HP, etc, etc...

I bought a new '12 GT500 a little over a year ago at a great price, but think I would take too much of a loss on trading it in or selling outright. Or, maybe just do a blower swap on the '12 and have the same HP as a 13/14 ??

Anybody go from a 11/12 GT500 to a 13/14 ?? How much of a difference between them ?? Was it worth the extra money or not ?

I think today may have been the first day that dealers could place "stock" orders for their inventory ?? A salesman mentioned something about it to me and I'm seriously thinking about ordering.....

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
I don't know... If you're in the position to take the financial hit, I would say do it.

However, IMO, you're just as well off putting a few grand into your '12 and achieve the power levels of the '13/'14. You'll have to look into suspension mods as well to tame the extra HP. I think you can still come out ahead.

I know there's a lot of other features that the '13+ offers over our '12, but financially, it just doesn't make sense to me since you're already sitting in a Shelby.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is a huge difference between the 11/12 and the 13/14.

I've drive every model year thus far, and the 13 put the others to shame. Sure, if you want you can add power to your 12 and get it to be at the level of a 13/14 or higher..but a 13/14 can always do the same mods and still have a 100+hp advantage.

nickf2005

Established Member
There is a huge difference between the 11/12 and the 13/14.

I've drive every model year thus far, and the 13 put the others to shame. Sure, if you want you can add power to your 12 and get it to be at the level of a 13/14 or higher..but a 13/14 can always do the same mods and still have a 100+hp advantage.

It's truly a never ending cycle and a matter of how much money is involved. If a guy wants a 800 HP car, probably better of starting with a 13. If 600 is good enough, why spend the cash? I'd love to have a '13, but I couldn't justify spending an extra $10k to get into the same optioned car as mine (higher MSRP and no X-Plan option).

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's truly a never ending cycle and a matter of how much money is involved. If a guy wants a 800 HP car, probably better of starting with a 13. If 600 is good enough, why spend the cash? I'd love to have a '13, but I couldn't justify spending an extra $10k to get into the same optioned car as mine (higher MSRP and no X-Plan option).

Yeah I understand. Honestly, if a guy wants a 800hp car, he'd be better buying a Fox and building it haha

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I would suggest you assess your motives before making the choice. If you are moved by the power difference, then I would say stick with your current car. There's always going to be someone faster, so don't base a swap just on that. If you are considering this change for reasons OTHER than power then I think it's more worthy of consideration. Good luck :beer:

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Bluntly--If you cant afford a 13/14 mod the older car If you can afford it get this car it is sick way sick.

nickf2005

Established Member
Yeah I understand. Honestly, if a guy wants a 800hp car, he'd be better buying a Fox and building it haha
Yeah, definitely just through out numbers. :)

I would suggest you assess your motives before making the choice. If you are moved by the power difference, then I would say stick with your current car. There's always going to be someone faster, so don't base a swap just on that. If you are considering this change for reasons OTHER than power then I think it's more worthy of consideration. Good luck :beer:

My thoughts exactly.

Mxfrench

Established Member
There is no uhaul behind a hearse, get it. Kids should have to work for themselves spend your money bro

IM3CPO

Established Member
I would do it

I bought a brand new loaded 2012 GT500, had it for less than 1 year (I only put 4500 miles on it) and got rid of it for a loaded 2013. I have NO regrets whatsoever! From what I recall, the net out of pocket expense for me was ~10K (could be a couple thousand more). Yes, you can mod your current car and get similar power, but there really are a ton of improvements in the 2013/2014 that are simply not feasible to add to the prior gen car for the cost difference. You can also make really cheap mods to the 2013/2014 and really make some insane power!

Having said this, if the move creates a financial strain I would not do it. I know some will bank on this car being a collector, but I would advise to treat it like a depreciating asset and have fun!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I bought a brand new loaded 2012 GT500, had it for less than 1 year (I only put 4500 miles on it) and got rid of it for a loaded 2013. I have NO regrets whatsoever! From what I recall, the net out of pocket expense for me was ~10K (could be a couple thousand more). Yes, you can mod your current car and get similar power, but there really are a ton of improvements in the 2013/2014 that are simply not feasible to add to the prior gen car for the cost difference. You can also make really cheap mods to the 2013/2014 and really make some insane power!

Having said this, if the move creates a financial strain I would not do it. I know some will bank on this car being a collector, but I would advise to treat it like a depreciating asset and have fun!

Best post in this thread.

If you can stomach the price difference, then do it.
If you are not happy with the colour on your 2012, the 2014 has its advantage because its built to your spec.

The choice is yours.

You can also wait a year from now and pick up a 2014 when they are discounted. And they will be once the 2015s are around and these are rotting on dealers lots

RockStarKick

Established Member
If you have the money, do it.. Don't look back at 65 and say "I wish I would of purchased that car back then". Enjoy it while you can.. Life is too short to not enjoy what you want..

Lawrenzo

Established Member
You can also wait a year from now and pick up a 2014 when they are discounted. And they will be once the 2015s are around and these are rotting on dealers lots

I seriously doubt they will be rotting on dealers lots. Without question the demand is there. Once dealers stop putting ADMs on their cars they will get sucked up pretty quickly. Only the oddball color combo/optioned cars will be sitting for any length of time.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

Words of wisdom from these gentlemen.

I have been toying with selling my Whippled 03 and 07 GT500 for a 2014, but I know I will still be modding it and sinking money into it one way or the other, as well as taking a huge hit on time and money. I will probably stick a TVS on the 07 and call it a day. The only thing I'm really jealous of from the later models is the aluminum block, that's the most expensive mod to make :burnout:

nickf2005

Established Member
Question #1
How much debt are you in?

Question #2
What kind of cash you got sitting in the bank?

Question #3
What are you pulling a month?

I do not mean for these to be seriously answered, but just making it clear that it's a financial decision... as is most things in life. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread