On 3 Twin turbo install (turbo seals leaking)

TT_Mach1

Established Member
I finally got around to getting my mach started last weekend and after running for short intervals (not tuned yet) I noticed theres some oil seeping past the turbo seals. the kit is brand new. I've asked around on here and haven't gotten too many answers but I assume its the way I have the drain lines routed in combo with how the scavenge pump is placed...

the scavenge pump I mounted how hellions hell raiser kit says to do so because I didnt like how low it sits with the way on3 says to mount it. if I have to I can put it where on3 recommends but id prefer not to..
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG
IMG_7175.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7177.JPG
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG
IMG_7175.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7177.JPG

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the old HP twin kit on my car. I'm using a TurboWerx scavenge pump. It's mounted, upright, to the front of the passenger side shock tower. The turbo's are fed via -3 lines and have restrictors. Each has an equal length -12 drain line into a "T". There is a -6 coming off the "T" to the pump and a -6 from the pump to the front of the oil pan. I have not had any problems with this set up.

It originally had -4 feed lines without restrictors and this provided too much oil and pressure. It would smoke.

KEVINS

Established Member
I created a better solution but it takes some fabrication.

From the info I gathered the MOD motors produce a lot of oil pressure especially with high volume oil pumps which can cause turbo drainage issues. Most people just install a restrictor in the lines but I don't like the idea of restricting oil to the turbos. Instead I plummed an oil bypass system in the feed lines that limit the oil pressure going to the turbos. This regulator is fed full oil pressure but regulates the oil to the turbos down to 25psi and anything above that gets returned back to the oil pan. It's set up just like a return style fuel system.

ks

TT_Mach1

Established Member
I created a better solution but it takes some fabrication.

From the info I gathered the MOD motors produce a lot of oil pressure especially with high volume oil pumps which can cause turbo drainage issues. Most people just install a restrictor in the lines but I don't like the idea of restricting oil to the turbos. Instead I plummed an oil bypass system in the feed lines that limit the oil pressure going to the turbos. This regulator is fed full oil pressure but regulates the oil to the turbos down to 25psi and anything above that gets returned back to the oil pan. It's set up just like a return style fuel system.

ks
I would be definitely interested in how you've set all of this up. lol I'm down to try about anything at this point

KEVINS

Established Member
I would be definitely interested in how you've set all of this up. lol I'm down to try about anything at this point

Here's the regulator I bought:
IMG_8571.jpg

It's plumbed just like a return type fuel system.

1. Full oil pressure on the inlet side of the regulator.
2.Oil pressure regulated down to the desired oil pressure (I think I have it down to around 25psi) that feeds turbos feeding them with a -4 line.
3. Any excess oil pressure above 25psi is returned to the oil pan where I have a -8AN fitting welded into the pan. If you don't have a fitting in the pan you may be able to plumb it back into a valve cover or timing chain cover or ??. Make sure the return line is large enough to return the excess oil. Mine is plumbed with a -8 return.

I also run a scavenge pump to help pull oil out of the turbos and back into the pan through another -8AN fitting in the pan.
ks

SlipperySnake

Established Member
Add restrictors at the turbo feed line if you don't have any. I've seen guys running as small as .026" restrictors, really depends on the setup. As already stated the oil pressure on these motors is higher than anticipated, especially if you have an aftermarket pump. You should have 4.5 ounces of oil in 30 seconds coming from each turbo return line and you can use this method to determine what size restrictor you need. You can remove a feed line and use a container to catch the oil, then start the motor for 30 seconds. Return the oil into the motor or add new.

TT_Mach1

Established Member
Sorry guys! I haven’t even had time to go mess with the car.. I went to speedway and got all new hose and some other fittings to remount the scavenge pump like on3 says to.. long story short my truck started knocking and I’ve been trying to find another vehicle to drive lol but I also picked up some ambers for her cheap yesterday so I have some motivation to get something done on it! And a start up tune is on its way so I can Tinker with the fuel pressure so it’s not pegging my gauge rich lol..

Attachments

• E724CA8A-3033-46C1-951E-5F7E463DF751.jpeg
    E724CA8A-3033-46C1-951E-5F7E463DF751.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 148

TT_Mach1

Established Member
Dumb question but did you check to see if the pump has suction? and its spinning the correct way? not wired backwards.
I didn’t really “check it” but I’m about 90% sure it’s the right way.. the wiring I mean. It’s just got a black and ground wire and the pump has an inlet and outlet side marked... I should double check this

TT_Mach1

Established Member
View attachment 1519552

2.Oil pressure regulated down to the desired oil pressure (I think I have it down to around 25psi) that feeds turbos feeding them with a -4 line.
3. Any excess oil pressure above 25psi is returned to the oil pan where I have a -8AN fitting welded into the pan. If you don't have a fitting in the pan you may be able to plumb it back into a valve cover or timing chain cover or ??. Make sure the return line is large enough to return the excess oil. Mine is plumbed with a -8 return.

I also run a scavenge pump to help pull oil out of the turbos and back into the pan through another -8AN fitting in the pan.
ks

TT_Mach1

Established Member
View attachment 1519552

ks
Didn’t mean to post that last reply.. but I know my return lines out of the turbos to the pan are all 5/8 hose. So basically -10AN lines.. I’m thinking I have the pump mounted too high so the pump can’t suck enough to get it back into the pan and or the hoses coming off the turbos just don’t have enough of a slope to get to the pump

KEVINS

Established Member
I have my pump mounted in the front bumper area. The pumps will still suck the oil if it's mounted high but it is best to mount it as low as possible. I say mount it the best you can then go with it.

IMG_8623.jpg

01blckcobra

Established Member
I didn’t really “check it” but I’m about 90% sure it’s the right way.. the wiring I mean. It’s just got a black and ground wire and the pump has an inlet and outlet side marked... I should double check this

Doesn't mean its always true: even if its marked inlet and outlet / red , black. lol quality control in todays market is not very good. "cough" Mc Donalds..... as an example..

Users who are viewing this thread