Old School Manual Mustang Friend Experiences DCT Equipped 2020 GT500 CFTP for 1st time! (video)

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
An old school good friend has owned a long list of manual transmission Mustangs to include a Terminator, a 2013 GT500 and now a 2019 GT350. I take him for a spirited run in the new GT500 CFTP and let him get behind the wheel to see what he thinks. I do a Drag Mode launch and a full braking 100-0 to show him the CFTP in action! A funny side note adventure: I got the car stuck trying to get into a gas station!

MFE

Established Member
Literally the worst thing about modern automatics is the paddles that allow people to **** up how well the transmissions operate when they're left alone. Leave them alone, and they are faster than any manual ever could be, no matter how much the diehards huff and puff.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Literally the worst thing about modern automatics is the paddles that allow people to **** up how well the transmissions operate when they're left alone. Leave them alone, and they are faster than any manual ever could be, no matter how much the diehards huff and puff.
That’s been true since day one with autos. Whenever I’ve raced an auto car I’ve over revved them and run slower times than just leaving it in “D”

MFE

Established Member
That’s been true since day one with autos. Whenever I’ve raced an auto car I’ve over revved them and run slower times than just leaving it in “D”

The term "slushbox" came about for a reason. Back in the day, automatics were awful. You couldn't touch the speed of a manual trans with an auto trans. You could make an automatic consistent, which was important to drag racers, but other than that, manuals won out in practically every other circumstance. But that was back when auto trans meant 3, maybe 4 speeds without a lockup converter. Now, with 8 or even 10 speed autos, especially the ones like PDK's that have the next gear ready to go as soon as commanded, and which can be shifted in 0.10 of a second, you can't keep an engine on power and in its powerband with a manual anywhere near as well as can be done with an automatic.

Goose17

Established Member
The paddles are an option, or a tool, to use when needed or wanted. I often use the paddles just out cruising around town. When it’s time for max performance driving however, and especially when on the track, leaving the tranny to do what it does best will result in the highest level of performance. The exception would be for drag racers who have raised their rev limiters. They have to manually shift to keep the tranny from auto-shifting at 7500.

There are essentially 3 modes of shifting… there is full auto “D,” there is manual “M” and then there is the in between… when you are in “D” but grab a paddle and temporarily override the auto-selection.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never seen the need for using the paddles for regular cruising. I have paddles in my G-70 and only use them if I need to force a downshift, which is rare in and of itself. If people like to use them, great. I just don't see the need.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Agree that the auto will be faster then a manual. But then again what's the fun in that? Now I go back to the days of slushbox autos so my experience has always been with manuals and I enjoy the hell out of shifting and being able to do it right. Back then we ran slick shift manuals and a good person with it you could not tell if he was using a auto or a manual. So if you want to be the fastest guy out there get a auto and have at it. If you like the enjoyment and challenge the manual is the way to go. My opinion only.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I had an Audi RS5 with the 4.2L + DSG. It was neat, with incredibly fast shifts. Ultimately it wasn't engaging, because the computers did all the fun stuff. I could turn off the traction control, but no changing the automated dual clutch manual. The flappy paddles were/are a gimmick.

It would have been a near perfect daily car with a 6M.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Goose17

Established Member
Until the autos overheat like in the S550 Mustang GTs.
This isn’t really an “auto.” It is an automated manual. I have driven the absolute PISS out of it at the track… no signs of overheating or any other issues thus far.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had an Audi RS5 with the 4.2L + DSG. It was neat, with incredibly fast shifts. Ultimately it wasn't engaging, because the computers did all the fun stuff. I could turn off the traction control, but no changing the automated dual clutch manual. The flappy paddles were/are a gimmick.

It would have been a near perfect daily car with a 6M.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app
THAT is the bottom line truth. Automatics, DCTs, EVs while fun to drive to a degree, all take away much of the connection/engagement. JMO.

Goose17

Established Member
Lol on automated manual.
No need to “LOL” at the truth. I guess you require a further explanation.

An automatic tranny has a torque converter. The DCT does not. The DCT is a dual clutch transmission that has 2 separate shafts spinning. One shaft has gears 1/3/5/7 and the other has 2/4/6. It is a manual transmission that is electronically controlled and lightning fast since the two shafts are spinning simultaneously.

Goose17

Established Member
Lol on automated manual.
A good explanation article is linked below. In this article:

“First and foremost, mechanically, this is a manual transmission. There is no torque converter, nor does the trans have bands or planetary gears. It has a clutch, and internally the box looks similar to any synchronized manual trans you've seen.”

“In fact, those who are uneducated are even calling it an automatic.”

Hopefully you are now educated.

What’s Inside Tremec’s all-new Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission in the New Shelby GT500 Mustang

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Call it whatever you want. It shifts automatically so I’ll keep calling it what it is - an automatic transmission.

Now I’m headed to Home Depot so I’ll go jump in my automated manual F350.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
What is automatic?
Cambridge Dictionary
automatic adjective (INDEPENDENT)

B2
An automatic machine or device is able to operate independently of human control:

So by that definition it is a automatic. Do not really care if it has a clutch or a torque converter. If it work without human interaction it is automatic. Other then that it is a matter of semantics.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I can help with the manual and automatic debate: Every time my wife seems to be in a good mood, I try to take advantage and get a little bit, but it is always an automatic no. I don’t have to touch her for her to switch gears.
Instead of the automatic, I just go manual. I have to do the work, but it gets me where I want to go.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I can help with the manual and automatic debate: Every time my wife seems to be in a good mood, I try to take advantage and get a little bit, but it is always an automatic no. I don’t have to touch her for her to switch gears.
Instead of the automatic, I just go manual. I have to do the work, but it gets me where I want to go.

So, your wife is a tranny?

This might have made my day.

Users who are viewing this thread