OK which car is actually faster The 03/04 Mach or the 05 GT?

Romans8:28

Established Member
I have been halfway enjoying the major pissing contests going on right now between the Mach owners and 05GT owners and wanabes..........

anyway which car is really faster in the 1/4?

my guess is the Mach at 13.8 and say 103 vs 13.9-14.1 and say 100-98?

Ok let the experts speak....................

Formula51

Established Member
You've done it now, hehe.....It appears to be the Mach at this point, but in fairness we should wait until the spring to let the new GT's break in and more importantly the drivers to get some much needed seat time with the new engine characteristics.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Mach at 13.8????? WTF? See sig for STOCK times. Many, many Machs running similar times or faster stock.

Romans8:28

Established Member
Sapperstang said:
Mach at 13.8????? WTF? See sig for STOCK times. Many, many Machs running similar times or faster stock.

Most Machs in my area run high 13's stock, low to mid 13's but with basic mods........

I have two firends that used to run neck and neck with my previous mildly modded SRT4 I owned. That car was good for 13.5 @ 106, but my friends Machs had exhaust, intakes, shifters, tires, etc.

Just my personal observation (but also repeated in numerous publications)

BTW.... I am not bashing the Mach or the GT just wondered which was faster.......... based upon the responses of low 13's being the norm it must be the Mach.

Suppose the GT guys know this.... or perhaps they are running 13 flat by now.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I have heard of a nearly stock (short throw shifter) mach running in the 12's, but thats kinda impossible it seems.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I own a 05 GT and I owed a 97 Cobra which I'd say is comparable to the Mach absent the shaker setup that is on the Mach. There is no way in hell that a stock 05 GT can be faster than a Mach 1. They are worlds apart in stock engine configuration. The Mach power is on demand SOTP whereas the GT power builds up to a sweet spot where you then feel it in the SOTP.
And that to me is where the difference lies to the point where the stock GT will always be in the rear view mirror of the Mach on a 1/4 miler.

Last edited:

Sapperstang

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
I own a 05 GT and I owed a 97 Cobra which I'd say is comparable to the Mach absent the shaker setup that is on the Mach. There is no way in hell that a stock 05 GT can be faster than a Mach 1. They are worlds apart in stock engine configuration. The Mach power is on demand SOTP whereas the GT power builds up to a sweet spot where you then feel it in the SOTP.
And that to me is where the difference lies to the point where the stock GT will always be in the rear view mirror of the Mach on a 1/4 miler.

There are several differences between a Mach and a 97 Cobra and not just the shaker hood :cuss: I have seen several Machs with NOTHING but drag radials running high 12's.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Sapperstang said:
There are several differences between a Mach and a 97 Cobra and not just the shaker hood :cuss: I have seen several Machs with NOTHING but drag radials running high 12's.

OK....educate me...what are the differences that matter to performance between the 1997 Cobra and the Mach 1? Once I have that info we can go from there as to whether my argument still stands or not. I still say in any case about the differences that the 05 GT will NOT match up to a Mach 1's power in the 1/4 mile.....and that anyone who thinks an 05 GT can match up (stock vs. stock) better take a reality check.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
There is a lot of difference between a 97 cobra and a mach1.
To list a few.....different heads(port), intake, block, cams(i do believe), fuel pumps....blah blah blah.
As far as what they run stock.....97 cobra is good for high 13's 1/4(stock) vs mach1's seem to be mid to low 13 sec car(depending on driver/location).
So yes there is a lot of difference to a point.
Btw, the 97 cobra has a stronger block then the mach1(not that means anything).

Last edited:

jwfisher

Banned
Who cares about a couple of tenths, if even that?

The SN95 will start squeking at 10,000 miles, and sound like it's got 50,000 miles at only 20,000 miles. The rear lower control arm bushings will also be worn out then, and the axle will move 2" side-to-side on a road course.

By 20k miles, your lower back will be worn out by the cheap seats, your neck will be permanently chafed by the terrible (and non-adjustable) seat belt, your battery will have dropped dead, and driveline lash will make regular driving a reminder how out-dated the poor old thing is.

By 30k miles, you'll have spent a lot of money on better gears, better shifter, springs, shocks, re-aligning the pinion angle, real wheels and tires, a better exhaust. And you'll still owe probably 20k on a car that is then worth less.

But, we love 'em.

-Jeff
(R.I.P. '79 Cobra, '79 Pace Car, '83 GT, '94 SVO, '86 GT, '89 LX 5.0, '91 GT, '94 SVT Cobra, '96 SVT Cobra, '99 SVT Cobra).

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
yeasure said:
There is a lot of difference between a 97 cobra and a mach1.
To list a few.....different heads(port), intake, block, cams(i do believe), fuel pumps....blah blah blah.
As far as what they run stock.....97 cobra is good for high 13's 1/4(stock) vs mach1's seem to be mid to low 13 sec car(depending on driver/location).
So yes there is a lot of difference to a point.
Btw, the 97 cobra has a stronger block then the mach1(not that means anything).

OK but in regards to my argument I still believe even given what you say about the Mach 1 that a stock Mach 1 will always outrun a stock 05 GT. I keep saying here and in other messages throughout the various forums that the 05 GT builds up its power as it is accelerating and that it actually hits a sweet spot during acceleration in 3rd gear where you feel a SOTP push...whereas in the Mach 1 the SOTP is instantly on demand and not something that feels it has to build up to. In short the Mach is tuned to accelerate straight-line aggressively and the 05 GT feels like it is tuned more for motor-cross type of driving. These are two entirely different tunes.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
SOTP is totally different between the two cars. The SN95 series feels fast with all the drivetrain, unitbody, and rear suspension flex and the shift of weight bias under acceleration. The S197 is much more balanced, stronger, and efficient and translates to a much less dramatic event.

Sapperstang

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
OK but in regards to my argument I still believe even given what you say about the Mach 1 that a stock Mach 1 will always outrun a stock 05 GT. I keep saying here and in other messages throughout the various forums that the 05 GT builds up its power as it is accelerating and that it actually hits a sweet spot during acceleration in 3rd gear where you feel a SOTP push...whereas in the Mach 1 the SOTP is instantly on demand and not something that feels it has to build up to. In short the Mach is tuned to accelerate straight-line aggressively and the 05 GT feels like it is tuned more for motor-cross type of driving. These are two entirely different tunes.

Have you ever driven a Mach? My car feels like a dog until at least 4K RPM. THEN I get a huge surge in acceleration. So the power is not always on demand that easily. But I still believe it is faster stock for stock than the new car. But once I get the gears then that low end lag will be taken care of. :D

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
The 03-04 Mach 1 Are with a avg Joe driving a mid 13 sec car with a good driver there low 13 sec car.

The 05 GT's are in the same boat they run mid 13's with a avg joe driving and low 13's with a good driver .

I do think that the 05 Autos are quicker then the 03-04 Mach 1 autos the Mach 1 autos ran high 13's while the 05 GT auto's are running mid 13's all day
i saw on in the track run stock nothing at all a 13.6 and Motor Trend in this months Issue got one as well to run 13.6 1/4 which is impressive beats any Stock 99-04 GT AODE or 03-04 MACH 1 Stock that "I" have ever seen..

If it where me and i had to choose between the 05 GT and a 03-04 Mach 1
i would go with the 05 GT i know te power levels are almost the same a performance wise there both even, but just because the 05 is new i would go with the newer car!

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Machinator said:
Who cares with my mods a 2005 will get raped.

Ok Lets say your right with your mods a stock 05 GT will get raped..But if the 05 GT had your mods as well then :nono: I don't think so!

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Get a Life, this is high school crap :nono: :cuss: :lol: :lol: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :fm: :fm: :fm: :cuss: :fm: :fm: :whine: :dw: :dw: :D :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :beer: :burn: :burn: :burn: :sleeping: :bowdown: :banana: :bored: :coolman: :poke: :poke: :lol1: :fart: :fart: :nonono: :) :rockon: :rockon: :nono: :nono: :loser: :cryying: :cuss: :lol: :thumbsup: :shrug: :burn: :burn: :burn: :xpl: :xpl: :dw: :dw: :dw: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :wf: :wf: :D :D :D :beer: :beer: :bash: :bash: :rolleyes: :D :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: :wf: Next subject :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread