Ok..so I dont know this and probably should,but, where did "Cammer" & " Coyote" actu

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
"cammer" was the nickname of ford's infamous SOHC 427 big block designed in the late 60's, given so because of its(unheard of in the muscle car world) single overhead cam design. it was originally designed for NASCAR, but the chrysler corporation threatened to pull all of their hemi cars(superbirds and charger daytonas) from the series, and thus the 427 "cammer" was banned from competition before its first season ever started.
left with a surplus of absolutely incredible racing engines, ford started handing them out to drag racers, where they began taking down all of the famous hemi drag cars.
fast forward to 2005 and ford had just designed a new road racing engine, the dual overhead cam 5.0l. ford took a 4.6l aluminum block, bored the shit out of it, filled it with forged components, 2000 cobra R heads(which are the basis of and all but identical to the ford GT and shelby GT500 heads), and a ridiculously expensive magnesium variable geometry intake manifold(i want to say that it cost at least $2k...!!!).
so, you have a new overhead cam racing engine that you plan to dominate the competition with(and that they've done in the continental tire challenge GS class and the rolex grand-am daytona prototype class, when the rules haven't strangled these engines), and you have an infamous overhead cam engine in your history with an infamous name to go with it - so why wouldn't they call their brand new 5.0l racing engine "cammer"?

and that's the short:)lol1:) on the "cammer" nickname. not sure about coyote though.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
"cammer" was the nickname of ford's infamous SOHC 427 big block designed in the late 60's, given so because of its(unheard of in the muscle car world) single overhead cam design. it was originally designed for NASCAR, but the chrysler corporation threatened to pull all of their hemi cars(superbirds and charger daytonas) from the series, and thus the 427 "cammer" was banned from competition before its first season ever started.
left with a surplus of absolutely incredible racing engines, ford started handing them out to drag racers, where they began taking down all of the famous hemi drag cars.
fast forward to 2005 and ford had just designed a new road racing engine, the dual overhead cam 5.0l. ford took a 4.6l aluminum block, bored the shit out of it, filled it with forged components, 2000 cobra R heads(which are the basis of and all but identical to the ford GT and shelby GT500 heads), and a ridiculously expensive magnesium variable geometry intake manifold(i want to say that it cost at least $2k...!!!).
so, you have a new overhead cam racing engine that you plan to dominate the competition with(and that they've done in the continental tire challenge GS class and the rolex grand-am daytona prototype class, when the rules haven't strangled these engines), and you have an infamous overhead cam engine in your history with an infamous name to go with it - so why wouldn't they call their brand new 5.0l racing engine "cammer"?

and that's the short:)lol1:) on the "cammer" nickname. not sure about coyote though.

i remember that manifold...i think it was well north of 2k but i did see a n/a 4.6 with that IM pull a 03/04 pullied cobra HARD...wish i knew the name of that video

Mrplow

Established Member
I thought that the name Coyote came from Ford's in-house "code" or "secret" name during development and production of the said engine prior to it's release to public

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i remember that manifold...i think it was well north of 2k but i did see a n/a 4.6 with that IM pull a 03/04 pullied cobra HARD...wish i knew the name of that video
yea, sick piece!
m5lp_0604_fr500c_03_z.jpg

m5lp_0604_fr500c_02_z.jpg

m5lp_0604_27z+Ford_Mustang_FR500_Racecar+Engine.jpg

and i would LOVE to see that video!

I thought that the name Coyote came from Ford's in-house "code" or "secret" name during development and production of the said engine prior to it's release to public
it did, but you don't think they just pulled that name out of thin air did you? make no mistake, the foyt coyote was the inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread