OK. Now Lets Discuss Bearing Grease.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Been on SVTP for years but never on this forum. Great info. I was going through frt wheel bearings in just one or two open track events. nothing I tried was any better, Then i bought new Ford hubs and repacked the bearings with Amsoil synthetic racing grease and the bearings have lasted twice as long and still smooth and quiet.

cobraboss

Established Member
For the last ten years I have been using Amsoil Pure Synthetic Racing Grease, and Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease.

Both come in a tube and have kept all sorts of front wheel bearings properly lubricated.

But is there a high quality synthetic grease that you can get in a tub or can?

I have always re-lubed bearings by putting a blob of grease in the palm of my hand and slapping the bearing into it until the bearing is full of grease. And it's difficult to get the grease out of a tube.

You could take a old margarine tub, clean it out good, load your gun and leave the top off and slowly let the plunger push it out.

oldmodman

Established Member
You could take a old margarine tub, clean it out good, load your gun and leave the top off and slowly let the plunger push it out.

That's such a simple solution that I am slapping my forehead while saying "DOH"

I was looking at the problem from the wrong end. Kind of like a proctologist.:-D

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I'm really liking the new Amsoil multi-purpose grease now that they've switched to a calcium sulfonate thickener. Red Line CV-2 is another excellent calcium sulfonate grease with an insane dropping point.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I picked up a tube of NGLI #2 and need a good grease gun. Iv'e used grease guns over the years and most have been cheap. What a decent grease gun for the money?

Jroc

Established Member
When I did my brakes I used Red Line CV-2 for my wheel bearings. It seems to be excellent grease but just like with Amsoil I would expect no less with Red Line products.

The thing I like better about Red Line produces than Amsoil products is with Red Line I can go on Amazon.com and get them for a great price with free 2 day shipping where there aren't a lot of Amsoil products on Amazon.
Red Line 80402 Synthetic Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive

BTW call me crazy but I actually have always kind of enjoyed hand packing my bearings. The time it take to hand pack them bothers me more than the getting messy part as unless your very good and/or wear gloves you're going to get messy anyway. IDK I guess it's gratifying to me to see that I did a good job manually hand packing a bearing as opposed to using a tool to do it for me. I think a bearing packer is smart if you're re-using old bearing and want a clean, effective, efficient, and easy way to clean/push out the old grease of a used bearing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I bought a tube of Amsoil grease at the preferred customer wholesale price two weeks ago. It was only $5.86 for the standard 14 ounce tube. Talk about a bargain.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Since I work for Timken I have enjoyed this thread.. lol

Do Timken employees use...

32926270_30972049_trimmed.jpg

? :-D

omj

Established Member
What is the best grease for adding to the grease already in a set of ball bearings that are used in an atv? The bearings go bad prematurely due to water and mud intrusion and I need something that won't displace and allow the rust to set in.

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
what amsoil grease product would be best for the high speed bearings inside the blower case of an eaton? I had bought some of the heavy duty green lucas stuff, but i think ill chock it up to a misinformed decision and get the amsoil grease

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
what amsoil grease product would be best for the high speed bearings inside the blower case of an eaton? I had bought some of the heavy duty green lucas stuff, but i think ill chock it up to a misinformed decision and get the amsoil grease

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

Which also happens to be their best wheel bearing grease. A far better grease than Series 2000, IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread