OK. Now Lets Discuss Bearing Grease.

oldmodman

Established Member
For the last ten years I have been using Amsoil Pure Synthetic Racing Grease, and Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease.

Both come in a tube and have kept all sorts of front wheel bearings properly lubricated.

But is there a high quality synthetic grease that you can get in a tub or can?

I have always re-lubed bearings by putting a blob of grease in the palm of my hand and slapping the bearing into it until the bearing is full of grease. And it's difficult to get the grease out of a tube.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The only thing larger than a 14 oz. grease gun cartridge Amsoil offers its grease in is a 35 lb. lug. (5 gallon bucket)

It would be a lot easier to pack your bearing with fresh grease using a bearing packing tool that connects to your grease gun. Then the 14 oz. cartridge would be perfect.

Bearing%20Packer%20Composite.jpg

Far as grease goes, I had an interesting experience with Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2. Normally, when I would install a pulley on an Eaton supercharger, I'd use a cheap spot of grease to prevent binding allowing an easy install. However, one day I was out of cheap grease. I decided to try the new grease from Amsoil. They advertised the grease as being "pound out proof", meaning you can't displace it. It has a bonding characteristic that makes it adhere to metal surfaces. I honestly thought it was marketing bologna, but man was I wrong.

The pulley installed with this grease would NOT stay where I left it. The belt was able to walk the pulley out towards the front of the car. I had to remove the pulley, de-grease it, and reinstall. Now it stays put. See the picture below.

The purplish/rust colored goo you see is Amsoil grease. It formed a protective layer that did not displace when the pulley was pressed on.

1238977_605463256167185_335683992_n.jpg

Want the ultimate grease in your wheel bearings, use it. My rear poly suspension parts on the GT500 are dead silent using it.

This is the video I watched about "no pound out". At first I was a skeptic, but my real world experience proved me wrong.

[youtube_browser]bqvq5IHjHTg[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Let's just say I will never make that mistake again. It's not often I get to tell someone that a certain Amsoil product is a terrible choice for a particular application. However, for other grease applications, it's the "bees knees".

oldmodman

Established Member
That sure does sound like a great product for anytime you want a lubricant to actually lubricate.

It's strange that you never hear anything about greases on any of the various car sites.

But grease is not a very sexy subject.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Amsoil makes a damn good grease i have also used it with great success.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have used Mobil 1 grease a lot over there years but I don't like how it melts.

You would expect it to hang in there with a name like Mobil 1, but this is what happens when you heat up cheaper greases versus good stuff.

[youtube_browser]CchPQspF65A[/youtube_browser]

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I wonder why it does that?

Some cheaper formulations allow thinner oily compounds to separate from the grease (carrier soap) faster than others. Gravity takes it toll and pulls is out of the bottom of the gun. The grease isn't immediately bad, just messy, and would be best to stir the mixture again if the grease has been sitting unused for a long duration. The pressure on the grease in a gun adds to the issue of squeezing out the base oil from the suspension soap. Higher quality grease will slow this process. However, if it does this in the gun, what does it do when in a wheel bearing or other critical lubrication area? This is why I began using better grease, my OCD.

The same way a better formulated liquid metal polish doesn't settle/separate like a cheaper mixture, not having to shake them well before use to remix the ingredients.

When you see a manufacturer advertise a grease that lasts up to X times longer, they probably have a more stable formulation to prevent separation. You'd assume this also means better base ingredients.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread