Ok guys I sold the L

qball

Established Member
Well I sold the L and wanted to get some opinions from yall. How do yall like the car over all, and then for specific is throttle respose quick or does it lag like other lower compression motors. If you happend to come from a lightning to an 03 cobra how do they compare?

I know that is a lot questions and I know all of you love your cars, I am just curious. I did sell my L for the 03 but wanted to get some opinions before i sign on the dotted line :)

Thanks yall

q

i8u

Established Member
Throttle response is awsome! Gotta love positive displacement blowers. Good luck!:beer:

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Qball,
As you know i am a former L owner and i am very happy with what i see in the 03 Cobra.If you want to know how it stacks up against a very modded L like mine was,at the strip the Cobra will not keep up from a dead stop unless you put a pulley on it but from a roll a stock cobra will beat a modded L maybe 1-2 lengths and if you put a pulley on it will take it easily 10 lengths or more from a roll.Just remember a modded L is a beast off the line and with the cobra being a stick how you launch is everything!

qball

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
Qball,
As you know i am a former L owner and i am very happy with what i see in the 03 Cobra.If you want to know how it stacks up against a very modded L like mine was,at the strip the Cobra will not keep up from a dead stop unless you put a pulley on it but from a roll a stock cobra will beat a modded L maybe 1-2 lengths and if you put a pulley on it will take it easily 10 lengths or more from a roll.Just remember a modded L is a beast off the line and with the cobra being a stick how you launch is everything!

One of the things that I am most excited about it the fully built bottom end on these things. I was always worried about running a pulley on the L with that long stroke those L's have and the rods being weak(and wrist pin failures). But I think the 03 is gonna prove to handle mods really well(as it already has)

Q

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Qball,
That is probably the main reason i bought a new 03 Cobra because of the built bottom end and improved stronger IRS rearend not to mention just about any mod you put on this car will give you 20HP! I just picked up around 40HP with just a air-kit and magnaflow exhaust!As you know on a lightning those mods gave my 0HP or ET at the track.This car is a blast to drive on the street and when you throw the boost to it the car pulls harder than you will ever imagine, i know from driving Haveight's car what a adrenaline rush:lol:

qball

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
Qball,
That is probably the main reason i bought a new 03 Cobra because of the built bottom end and improved stronger IRS rearend not to mention just about any mod you put on this car will give you 20HP! I just picked up around 40HP with just a air-kit and magnaflow exhaust!As you know on a lightning those mods gave my 0HP or ET at the track.This car is a blast to drive on the street and when you throw the boost to it the car pulls harder than you will ever imagine, i know from driving Haveight's car what a adrenaline rush:lol:

haha SWEEEET. now I have to decide on a color. I have sonic blue, min gray or black to choose from :)

BBriBro

Established Member
Isn't the L supposed to have forged rods too? But someone said the part # is the same for a base 5.4 L con rod? So whats diff in the L motor? Just low compression pistons?

Last edited:

qball

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Isn't the L supposed to have forged rods too? But someone said the part # is the same for a base 5.4 L con rod? So whats diff in the L motor? Just low compresson pistons?

nope on the forged rods. I don't know specific differences between the 5.4 motors (other than the lower compression forged pistons)

BBriBro

Established Member
Wow, fast replies here, So in the L you have a forged crank, forged pistons, but they left a weak link in between? That doesn't make sence, But they seem to hold up to quite a bit of abuse, no? So the Cobra with an aftermarket blower should just be insane, (reliably insane :) )

qball

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Wow, fast replies here, So in the L you have a forged crank, forged pistons, but they left a weak link in between? That doesn't make sence, But they seem to hold up to quite a bit of abuse, no? So the Cobra with an aftermarket blower should just be insane, (reliably insane :) )

I am not sure about the crank, but yeah L's handle abuse "fairly" well. I mean use your head about it. you also have to remember that L's have a red line of 5200rpm a lot of people that broke were running in excess of that or had signs of detonation that was ignored.(I am no expert so take what i say with a grain of salt) Some people just broke.

Q

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Blades
Where will all these poor Ls find a home? I'll take one soon enough! :D

my 2000 is going away verrry soon, but I just may have to replace it with a new one in a couple years....sounds like they're going to get more interesting down the road a bit

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Smiles for miles after driving a '98 Cobra :-D This thing is simply amazing.

P.S. Unless you can find one still sitting around, Mineral Grey is no longer available for order. Dark Shadow Grey is, and it is sweet. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread