OK do yo use the Motorcraft FL820S or the 500S oil filter?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
So many different answers and opinions on this, gonna do an oil change on the 2011 5.0 coupe I just bought.

Specs on both:
FL 500S:

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM

FL 820S:

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM

evanjp

Established Member
I think the gt500 uses the 820s. I bought one and researched it because it looked huge and found out that it isn't a good idea to use. Don't remember why, but I would stick with the 500s.

vortecd

Established Member
either will work but it calls for the 500. Only gain will be the quality of the filter. I use Amsoil along with their oil

JDos1

Established Member
If you have an oil cooler, the fatter can of the 820 will fit "better". The 500 fits the non-cooler equipped models well but the 820 will also work. The 820 has more surface area and the larger flow cap. Personally I'd go with the 820...especially the FRPP 820 as there is a difference between the two (m/c 820 and FRPP 820).

5w20 is sufficient for a daily driver and occasional strip car. If it sees heavy race usage step up to 5 or 10w30. I've been running 10w30 for at least 70k of the 135k on my 2011.

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I currently use the 500S but I will be making a change to the 820S on my next oil change for the increased surface area and flow. There is a discussion about this on another forum with talks about oil viscosity and load capabilities as well. I also currently use Motorcraft 5w20 full syn but will be making a switch to Quakerstate ultimate durability 5w30. I ran across a link on the order site where a mechanical engineer has been testing oils over the years (very thorough testing and an extremely long read) and the Quakerstate ultimate durability stuff literally blows every oil away when it comes to load, sheer, extreme heat durability, etc. I'll see if I can find it again to share.

**EDIT**

Here it is

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I currently use the 500S but I will be making a change to the 820S on my next oil change for the increased surface area and flow. There is a discussion about this on another forum with talks about oil viscosity and load capabilities as well. I also currently use Motorcraft 5w20 full syn but will be making a switch to Quakerstate ultimate durability 5w30. I ran across a link on the order site where a mechanical engineer has been testing oils over the years (very thorough testing and an extremely long read) and the Quakerstate ultimate durability stuff literally blows every oil away when it comes to load, sheer, extreme heat durability, etc. I'll see if I can find it again to share.

**EDIT**

Here it is

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I have read that blog before, great info and I would highly recommend reading it to any enthusiast on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread