Oil separator discussion

ViciousJay

Established Member
I love Tuckers design and man does he make some great products( cough cough intake :rockon:) but i think its a little hard to cough up 100 bucks for an oil separator... any ideas on a home made one?

kevinp

Established Member
You can do the old air compressor water separator, couple 1/2" barb fitting and some 1/2" or 7/16" rubber hose and some clamps. Probably looking at 50.00 hardware store prices. Wont look pretty but it works. There are some other ones on ebay that are really nothing but empty boxes with a couple fittings that look better then the compressor thing. Plus the plastic bowl on the water separator will crack if you arent careful when you take it off to drain it.

Depends if the 60.00 difference is worth an hour or two of gathering parts and doing it as opposed to waiting for it to arrive and snapping it on in 30 seconds.

ViciousJay

Established Member
You can do the old air compressor water separator, couple 1/2" barb fitting and some 1/2" or 7/16" rubber hose and some clamps. Probably looking at 50.00 hardware store prices. Wont look pretty but it works. There are some other ones on ebay that are really nothing but empty boxes with a couple fittings that look better then the compressor thing. Plus the plastic bowl on the water separator will crack if you arent careful when you take it off to drain it.

Depends if the 60.00 difference is worth an hour or two of gathering parts and doing it as opposed to waiting for it to arrive and snapping it on in 30 seconds.

oh i thought they were like $100? if its 60.00 i can deal with that

but heres what menards has http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h.../oil-and-water-separator/p-1465520-c-9060.htm

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
I mean the 60.00 difference between buying the parts (50.00) and getting the JLT.

Thats the in-line one, not what you want.

acrbill

Established Member
You are going to want it in plain sight when you open the hood so you can view the level.
The problem with that is the oil will stain the plastic and the whole thing will look like ass.

I would rather my engine ingest some oil than have extra parts hanging out under my hood.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I made my own setup in my V6. It wasn't going to win any shows, but it got the job done.

You can see it at the top of this picture. I used the air compressor water separator and some barbs. I was having a problem finding hose that would work right, so it's not hooked up here. I hung the separator from the shock tower with a piece of aluminum that I cut and drilled to match existing bolt holes.
100_2936.jpg

Another view. I didn't end up using the hoses in this picture, but it shows my routing.
100_2939.jpg

Definitely ghetto, but it worked. I haven't decided yet what route I want to take with my GT. I knew I was never going to turn the V6 into a show car, so all I cared about was performance. I would like if my 5.0 could be put in shows though, so I need to figure something out. In some ways, I like my setup more than the JLT separator because I like that the catch can is hard mounted, it's not just dangling on top of the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread