Oil Separator and Heat Exchanger…Thoughts?

Davey1313

Established Member
Looking for advice for my 2008 KR. Only modifications to the car is a pulley and tune (both VMP). Car has 9,000 miles.

I get heat soak (Toronto can get upwards of 100F+ in the summer). I try not to drive on those days, but typically 80-90 I will.

I want to keep the car majority stock, but am looking at add an oil separator and VMP triple pass heat exchanger. Suggestions? Thoughts? Would like to hear more about the oil separator if it’s worth it. As well as anything else you think would be worthy of adding to the car.

As always, thanks in advance! This site is truly an amazing resource.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
JLT 2.0 catch can or UPR. VMP dual-pass twin-fan. But Any twin fan will be a big upgrade from what you have. Do it meow ;)

Davey1313

Established Member
JLT 2.0 catch can or UPR. VMP dual-pass twin-fan. But Any twin fan will be a big upgrade from what you have. Do it meow ;)
Thanks! Is there any possibility of cleaning residual oil off the inter cooler in an easy way? Or just leave it?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I use UPR oil catch can and I couldn't say enough good things about it. It works excellent. Imo.....Shelby competition H/E is the best on the market. My IAT2 temps in that climate never exceed 124F

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Thanks! Is there any possibility of cleaning residual oil off the inter cooler in an easy way? Or just leave it?
Q-Tips
se UPR oil catch can and I couldn't say enough good things about it. It works excellent. Imo.....Shelby completion H/E is the best on the market. My IAT2 temps in that climate never exceed 124F
Good setup that’s what I am using myself

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
So you’d go with the Shelby Competition vs. VMP triple pass dual fan?

Also, is the UPR plug and play like the JLT 3.0?
No. Never said that. Mentioned VMP since you’re using it already and it’s a name brand. It’s someone that’s commonly used amongst the enthusiasts. The SC H/E because I like uniformed parts and cmon let’s face it…. He whom has most Shelby’s logo :p wins ;) :)

Yes plug n play. The catch itself of the UPR is larger so you can go longer without changing. Not saying it’s better or worse. Personally preference as to why for myself. At days ends it’s like what do you prefer coke or Pepsi. Both are good, don’t get hung up on the name.

@1Kona_Venom made a valid point as to a thermostat although i myself don’t have one on my street setup. There’s no downside to it. No particular reason as to why I haven’t. Thanks, I actually keep meaning to getting around to adding this.

Davey1313

Established Member
No. Never said that. Mentioned VMP since you’re using it already and it’s a name brand. It’s someone that’s commonly used amongst the enthusiasts. The SC H/E because I like uniformed parts and cmon let’s face it…. He whom has most Shelby’s logo :p wins ;) :)

Yes plug n play. The catch itself of the UPR is larger so you can go longer without changing. Not saying it’s better or worse. Personally preference as to why for myself. At days ends it’s like what do you prefer coke or Pepsi. Both are good, don’t get hung up on the name.

@1Kona_Venom made a valid point as to a thermostat although i myself don’t have one on my street setup. There’s no downside to it. No particular reason as to why I haven’t. Thanks, I actually keep meaning to getting around to adding this.
Awesome feedback. One more stupid question. Do I need a re-tune if I do the HE and thermostat? Or will the car just not pull timing as much anymore?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Awesome feedback. One more stupid question. Do I need a re-tune if I do the HE and thermostat? Or will the car just not pull timing as much anymore?
The heat exchanger is a plug in play no tuna‘s needed.

I am gonna leave the second part to some more knowledgeable than I to answer ….

But what I do know, thermostat is the gatekeeper that controls engine coolant temperature. Don’t take my word for it but I think I think it could be feasibly to install a lower temp stat without a tuner, you won’t be reaping all the benefits . Guess too it depends…got a unlocked tune and sct handheld? I know of a few friends that have it unlocked. Otherwise the answer is yes.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Read post #16 in this thread: Dual pass he vs triple pass

I have since upgraded to C&R Competition HE (w/ fans) because I also increased boost. It is more efficient than their standard offering, but not a drastic difference. I run a 180* t-stat and JLT 3.0 oil separator on the passenger side and am happy with both for my application.

With the stock Intercooler pump, brick, and plumbing, you will still heatsoak eventually, but you will initially retain more power for a longer period of time.

Davey1313

Established Member
Read post #16 in this thread: Dual pass he vs triple pass

I have since upgraded to C&R Competition HE (w/ fans) because I also increased boost. It is more efficient than their standard offering, but not a drastic difference. I run a 180* t-stat and JLT 3.0 oil separator on the passenger side and am happy with both for my application.

With the stock Intercooler pump, brick, and plumbing, you will still heatsoak eventually, but you will initially retain more power for a longer period of time.
Good to hear. I reallllyyy want that Shelby Competition (or even the C&R or Titanic DoB haha) but they’re $1,200US. Plus shipping and all and I’m at $2,000+ installed.

I guess you have to pay to play, but I can get the VMP for $900US. Might just have to go that route since there’s no cutting (and I don’t want to cut my KR).

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I have an SCT x4 and would get my tuner to change the setting. What should I tell him?

Tell him you’ve added (type of themo) and let him handle it. If they cannot, time to find a new tuner. That’s what you’re paying for.

I’ve made a few suggestions above along with others. Don’t over think this. It’s you’re money. If you’re looking for advice or someone to give you receipt I’d call up Venomous tuning whom specializes in tuning and creating magic for guys looking for direction. I have no affiliation nor gain for mentioning this but he’s been good for us Shelby guys.

Do you have a wideband monitor system? There something else I’d add if not. I’d be pulling data off that and giving it to a qualified tuner to see how best to address you’re specific “heat soak” needs vs throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I would ask, how many on here have done the Texas Mile with the C&R fan H/E?? Van (Revan Racing) seems to have no problem running 230+ mph with the C&R fanned H/E on the Texas Mile........

Ask for their data on similar tests from these owner replies......

If they can not provide data for the same tests, ignore their forum replies.....

On the Street, quick recovery is King. Fans provide Quick Recovery when you are sitting (no air flow) at the next Red light...........Fans are spinning, air is moving......Cooling is happening. It is all about air flow......and there ain't no flowing, when the car is stopped..........except with fans.......

............................and then the question, as I have asked may, may times with no replies......Why does it require a Triple Pass on some H/E's when the same temp. results on other H/E's can be achieved with a double pass????..............Just asking???

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread