Oil Pressure sender.

hungary00

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra I"ve been heaving oil pressure problem at my gauge , it fluctuates up and down, so
I have got a new one form AutoZone a Duralast PN-PS103 I installed it , and no oil pressure at all
on the gauge. So I got a Motorcraft-SW-1311, I installed it same thing no pressure on the gauge at all.
But when I put the old one in it works kind of, but it show's pressure. Why I can't get any reading from the other ones?
Thanks for the help.

LDC2335

Established Member
Maybe faulty gauge? Do you have a tuner, can you data log and see what it says?

hungary00

Established Member
What would be a chance to have two gauges faulty? It is possible , and I do have a tuner I will check it. Thanks.

LDC2335

Established Member
So you installed a new gauge? I thought you just swapped senders or sensors. I'll look in my manual and see what it says for parts and troubleshooting.

hungary00

Established Member
The gauge is the original , I did not change it . Only the sensors twice same result. No pressure showing at all on the gauge.
With the old sensor it works but it fluctuates.

LDC2335

Established Member
Cool, well try the tuner and see what readings you get. If they are good, its a bad gauge.

Chilton says it could be:

Worn oil pump, clogged filter, clogged oil strainer, faulty gauge.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
out of curiosity, how's your oil cooler? i had the same problem right before my oil cooler exploded.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
With the key on, unhook the OP sender wire and leave it disconnected. Your OP gauge should go to low oil pressure. Ground the sensor wire and the gauge should read in the high-normal range. That tests the gauge.

To test the sender, with the sender wire unhooked and the engine off, use an ohmmeter from the sender post to ground to check for a very high (infinite) resistance. With the engine running, do the same test and you should see very low resistance, close to 0 ohms, since it is a pressure switch.

hungary00

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. My gauge is working with this sender, but the needle only go to the second letter O. It never goes higher. On my friends car who has the same car as me, his needle is up mid way. Why mine only shows so low? That is why I tried to change the sender , thinking that is the problem.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
These are idiot lights in gauge form. The sender is a 6 PSI pressure switch that closes to ground when the oil pressure goes over 6PSI. The needles on all of the gauges go to somewhere in the high-normal range, but exactly where it points varies from gauge to gauge.

If you want to make it a real functioning gauge, read this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...r-79-98-oil-pressure-amp-temp-gauges-accurate

Users who are viewing this thread