Oil pressure on the highway

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Hello all and I apologize if this issue I am having has been answered before. I can’t find my particular issue discussed on google :( Oil is full and is Motorcraft 5w-20 with a Motorcraft oil filter. Wiring to the autometer gauge is

I have a 97 GT and hooked up a autometer oil pressure gauge to know where I am at. The motor is a 4.6 2v and has PI heads, blower cams and was rebuilt 2k miles ago. Oil pressure is 70-80psi on cold start and I never lose it or see it drastically change. When nice and hot, I am idling with 20-25 psi. Once i bump the throttle it shoots to 50 psi. When I accelerate hard from a stop I see a nice gradual climb with pressure all the way to 60-70 psi. When I am driving on the highway is when I notice a slight fluctuation. When I am going 70-75mph in 5th gear at about 2200 rpm I noticed the meter was at 50 psi. I give it throttle and the needle will drop slightly down to about 45 psi and once I let off the throttle it will jump back to 50 psi. When I am at the same speeds and drop it into 3rd and accelerate the pressure goes to 55 and doesn’t climb as quick as it does when I am messing around in town. This is my first time having a aftermarket oil pressure gauge so I may be just a little paranoid. Just wanted to hear yalls opinions and/or experiences. Am I crazy or what? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Oil pressure at idle dropped to 12.5 psi this morning after my commute to work. I changed the oil and filter on my lunch break fired it up, checked level and all is well. 30 min before work ended I fired the car up to let it get warm. Started to hear a subtle tap. Put it on the lift and was able to locate the area of the tap with my stethoscope. The tap is coming from around cylinders 7 and 8 down low. I can’t win with this motor right now. This is the 2nd rebuild within 2 years. Ive always used motorcraft oil and filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread