Oil pan gasket replacement

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'm running a 13/14 GT500 oil pan gasket and modified pan in my 03 cobra. I believe I have a leak with the gasket. I was planning on removing the pan to inspect everything. Its a rubber O-ring but do you guys typically replace this gasket when the pan is removed or reuse it? Whether I replace it or not i'm planning on adding some RTV on the corners hoping this will stop my leak if it is indeed leaking from the gasket.

Thanks guys,

Troy

raustin0017

Established Member
According to the Service Manual...

Remove and discard the oil pan baffle and gasket.
 Clean the mating surfaces with silicone gasket remover and metal surface prep. Follow the
directions on the packaging.
 Inspect the mating surfaces.
Apply a bead of Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone to the cylinder head-to-cylinder
block joints and the oil pan-to-cylinder block joints as illustrated.
NOTICE: Failure to use Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone may cause the
engine oil to foam excessively and result in serious engine damage.
NOTE: If the oil pan is not installed and the fasteners tightened within 5 minutes, the sealant must be
removed and the sealing area cleaned. To clean the sealing area, use silicone gasket remover and
metal surface prep. Failure to follow this procedure can cause future oil leakage. If this timing cannot
be met, tighten fasteners 7, 8, 9 and 10 to 8 Nm (71 lb-in) within 5 minutes of applying the sealer and
final torque all of the fasteners within 1 hour of applying the sealer.

Hope this helps? Good luck

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, i did not put any RTV on it so im betting thats why its slightly seeping. I am going to remove it and see how it looks. If its not brittle and the rubber seal looks intact, I'll reuse it.

Users who are viewing this thread