Oil pan capacity test pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with 99Cobra2881. The thread should be locked because there are a couple of assholes that keep coming in here just to stir the pot. The visual experiment spoke for itself.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Machfag is pretty much the laughing stock of this whole forum.

He is a idiot with a car that dosnt even run.

OMG you got a Mach1 that can pull some tires your a badass. Let me know when your around NC. Or any FF event on the east coast.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
Lock it up for sure... This thread is done and should be a sticky and locked

Mach1Marauder

Banned
There are 3 13mm drainback holes per head. Thats not what I would call "huge" or "many".

On top of that, any 4v owner who has checked the oil 5 minutes after driving, and then 30 minutes after driving, knows that the level the second time will be higher.

further, not to quote a "so-so" source, but in SHM's book, he stated that with clear plastic valve covers, he noticed a ton of oil in the heads, especially on the passenger side. I don't think SHM would really lie about this, since its not gonna help him sell more products.

As far as the windage situation, obviously there will be oil splashing, and oil coming down from the return holes. however, I have not seen conclusive proof of windage trays increasing power output substantially. Even if you pour in 7 quarts, the crank will not be sloshing through the oil, nor will it aerate anything.

I have to 100% disagree with your post.

In fact, people have been drilling out the return holes even larger to help with oil drainage.
It's been know for longer that you've been living that windage trays and scrapers increase HP. That's a fact that you cannot deny.

To Quote the SHM Book, page 82:

I made up some valve covers, a timing cover, and an oil pan with plexiglas windows, so I could see the oiling of the 4.6 at high RPM. Using a strobe light to stop the action, I was able to observe the oil in the cylinder heads, timing cover, and oil pan at engine speeds up to 7000rpm. The results were eye-opening to say the least. The amount of oil in the cylinder heads at speed is staggering. The passenger side head in particular, has 2 inches of oil, being whipped up by the camshafts, rockers, and valves into a frothing mass. The timing chain acts as a high speed escalator, pumping oil up to the passenger side head from the pan. This does not occur on the driver's side head, due to the rotation of the crankshaft.

Getting the oil to return more quickly to the pan is another strategy worth looking at. Reaming the oil return holes in the cylinder heads from the as cast (.427 inch) diameter to .562 inch will improve the oil drain back, but you must exercise care

emphasis added...

However sketchy SHM is, you have to acknowledge that he did do a lot of research on the mod motor with John Mihovetz from accufab.

Ya see. You had VERY important info in front of you, yet you refrained to expand on it. Keeping oil from the front cover is paramount in keeping an inordinate amount of oil in the PASSENGER side head. Windage trays, proper oil level and aftermarket oilpans with proper baffles are way of controlling oil

There is no proof that 6.5 quarts of oil results in more bearing failures than 7 quarts of oil; both quantities work fine. However, an engine that is going to see extended high rpm operation should have a larger than stock oil pan. If you want to run 7 qts do so, but not just because it fits in the pan.

Damn good advice.

I just finished a 130 mile training ride today.:rolling:

As for this thread, The only time I would put 7 quarts in my Cobra motor would be if the car Had a Canton 7 quart oil pan. Of course in addition to the Canton oil pan, an accusump charge oil accumulator and a oil cooler such as one from flyuidyne would also be a good idea.
Best advice in this thread. Only downside to the accumulator is finding a place to mount it.

Also...Mach 1 drivers don't do turns...you know with the SRA and all. Us New Edge Cobra drivers just loves them twisties...add G's into the equation, higher sustained rev's and proper oil levels are even more critical. Expose those bearings too long and they're toast. Yes,...back to Mach-land with you.
Mach guys don't do twisties? LOL! I stuck right next to one of your buddies when we were coming back from the drag strip(where I beat his modded 01 Cobra 2 outta 3 times). We were in a long sweeper in 3rd at 115 or so, with a shift at redline and exit at about 135. I didn't crap the engine with all the G-forces AND rpms, but he did! Stupid oil pump with UD pullies.
Btw.....was when my Mach was STOCK.

Machfag is pretty much the laughing stock of this whole forum.

He is a idiot with a car that dosnt even run.

OMG you got a Mach1 that can pull some tires your a badass. Let me know when your around NC. Or any FF event on the east coast.

Ok little boy.
I'm a laughing stock??:lol:
I'm not the one that doesn't even know how to burp his cooling system! LOL!

I'm not the one that BRAGS about beating friggin NEON!!! That's sooooo weak!

I'm not the one that doesn't understands thermodynamics of heat exchangers!:bash:

I'm not the one that doesn't know the difference between noisy LASH ADJUSTERS (not lifters you tard) and piston slap.:bash:

Do I need to go on..........there's LOTS more!:lol:

If I run the east coast this year. I'll run your piddly little Cobra at the track. I'll even give ya a few chances to beat me so you won't have an excuse.

edit.............also little boy. You need to make sure you have your NHRA/IHRA license and everything else so we can get more than just one run.

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Moroso road race pan test

Here ya'll go...

took 11qts to submerge the drainback. 12 to fill the pan. I'd say 9 should be no problem considering there will be a lot of oil in the filter and engine when running. I'll be relocating the oil filter so I might even be able to go 10qts easily. As mentioned, the crank is way above the pan line so windage is not a concern really.

Here's the empty pan
SNV30931.gif

4qts
SNV30933.gif

8qts
SNV30934.gif

8qts
SNV30935.gif

9qts
SNV30936.gif

9qts
SNV30937.gif