Oil pan capacity test pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Great thread...I've been using 6.25-6.5 quarts!!!

Maybe it's time for 7 quarts???

LOL

Later...Dave

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
they don't typically run high revs for a sustained period of time because the torque comes much lower.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Damn you got alot of time on your hands. Just use good oil. Amsoil signiture series and be done with it.:rockon:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
damn too much time on your hands. just use good oil, amsoil signiture series and be done with it

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The quality of the oil has nothing to do with this. Quantity, however does.

That's unless Amsoil Sig Series has somehow been engineered to not allow the oil pickup to become uncovered, suck air, spin bearings and make the owner post here that his car is making 'weird noises.'

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
For the last time....

This test was done upon request to settle the oil level debate. The guy did us all a favor and spent his time to do the experiment for us, the general community of DOHC owners.

I guess we still have a couple of clowns on this thread that think this exercise was a photochop. Or maybe some guys have a special fairy that they can stick inside the motor to see the oil level at 6qts.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
This thread should be locked. Nothing more of any value can or will be posted. Lock it before it becomes useless pages of BS.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
they don't typically run high revs for a sustained period of time because the torque comes much lower.
:lol::lol::lol:

A lot goes on in that extra 250-500 rpms. Crank is turning faster, timing chains are turning faster, oil pump is turning faster, etc.
:lol::lol::lol:

Heres your proof right here since your so smart...

I had a oil pressure guage line crack, lost some oil (maybe 2 quarts). Checked the oil it was low after the car had cooled for a little while after I fixed the line. Put some oil in and ran the car, checked the dipstick after adding 1 quart and it heating up and it read right in the middle. Drove the car for about an hour it started ticking/knocking. Checked my oil and nothing read on the dipstick at all.

Keep in mind before this happened I had just changed my oil and put in just under 7 quarts.

I thought it was lifters. Changed them and nothing. Tore the motor down and found 5 spun rod bearings and metal shavings everywhere. This was with I'd say at least 6 quarts of oil in the car when it happened.

000_0114.gif

100_0016.gif

100_0018.gif

Boy that sucks!
But Chad
What in your post has to do with anything in this thread?:shrug:
What do YOU think caused your failure?:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
ah, the expert of all experts reappears.

Hey numb nuts, what do you think happens at high rpms. Bingo, the oil pump turns faster, which pumps more oil to the heads, which can't drain fast enough, which results in less oil in the sump.

The fact that the aluminum block also moves around more than an iron block could also be a reason for the spun bearings.

Go back to the Mach forum you troll!

Mach1Marauder

Banned
ah, the expert of all experts reappears.

Hey numb nuts, what do you think happens at high rpms. Bingo, the oil pump turns faster, which pumps more oil to the heads, which can't drain fast enough, which results in less oil in the sump.

The fact that the aluminum block also moves around more than an iron block could also be a reason for the spun bearings.

Go back to the Mach forum you troll!

Ahhhhhhhhh! The illustrious quadcammer spews more dribble!
Oh great self-imposed Mr. Know-it all..........Please bless us with your GREAT knowledge and bestow upon us ignorant peasants of how many ounces per minute the difference would be with 250-500 higher RPMS?

Quadcammer

Established Member
Im not saying the max revs are higher, Im saying that the average revs are higher. Considering that most NA cobra owners have gears, they not only spend more time at 3000 rpms on the highway, they also are typically at higher revs in spirited driving because that is where the power is.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Also...Mach 1 drivers don't do turns...you know with the SRA and all. Us New Edge Cobra drivers just loves them twisties...add G's into the equation, higher sustained rev's and proper oil levels are even more critical. Expose those bearings too long and they're toast. Yes,...back to Mach-land with you.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Like I said lock this thread, NOW! A great post is just getting loaded up with BS.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Hey dude...sounds like you need to be protected from yourself. You can stop posting here anytime you want to...if you can. We all know the best information in this thread is in the first few pages...worth a stickie.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If the threads locked then no more useless BS like this will muck up a very informative thread. Thanks for posting your two cents, I'll pass on telling you where to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread