Oil leak

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Hey gang . I got an issue that I’m kinda lost at . I just had my engine completely rebuilt top to bottom , after getting everything back together and driving it with absolutely no issues i started to notice an unidentified oil leak . I’m not sure if it’s tranny fluid or engine oil but getting a small puddle on my garage floor that’s dripping down from where the trans meets the block . I did notice the oil also dripping from that small vent on the bottom of the bellhousing before it meets the block actually. Any ideas what it could be ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Hard to say OP. A valve cover leak can run down there. It’s very difficult to see everything back there.

Is your PCV system intact?

Get a mechanics telescoping mirror and flashlight and look at the back of the VC area and across the back of the block.

Run your finger along the seams to check for oil as well.

Make sure VC bolts are snug.

Lastly you can do a dye test.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BJCobra99

Established Member
Is the leak on the drivers side? I had an engine rebuild and the leak was there after putting car back together. Stupid oil filter adapter gasket went bad. 20 some dollar part, and 2 hours later it's fixed. Hope this helps.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is the leak on the drivers side? I had an engine rebuild and the leak was there after putting car back together. Stupid oil filter adapter gasket went bad. 20 some dollar part, and 2 hours later it's fixed. Hope this helps.

The oil wouldn't travel back to the bellhousing though.

Hopefully it's not the rear main seal. But if it is you want to get it fixed soon. Oil in the clutch area is a bad thing. I'd just go for the dye personally. I've dealt with enough oil leaks that I hate chasing them down.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I dunno I’ve seen oil do weird crap. Could drip from the oil filter into the oil pan/block seam and run back

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I have too. But that's a long distance. And if it was the oil cooler it would still drop under the cooler once he's parked. And the motor mount and that area would be covered in oil.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
The oil wouldn't travel back to the bellhousing though.

Hopefully it's not the rear main seal. But if it is you want to get it fixed soon. Oil in the clutch area is a bad thing. I'd just go for the dye personally. I've dealt with enough oil leaks that I hate chasing them down.

Could it be trans fluid leaking from around the input shaft ?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Even after a full rebuild ?

It's possible depending on the brand they used and how careful they were during install.

Could it be trans fluid leaking from around the input shaft ?

Have you felt it or smelled it? Even synchromesh is noticeably different than oil. If they used ATF it'll be even easier to tell where it's coming from between the engine and trans.

Nervouswreck

Established Member
It's possible depending on the brand they used and how careful they were during install.

Have you felt it or smelled it? Even synchromesh is noticeably different than oil. If they used ATF it'll be even easier to tell where it's coming from between the engine and trans.

Yes but it’s hard to tell for me on the smell part . I forget what color the synchromesh was when i put it in too

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Not a built motor.....but my factory 11k mile '04 mystichrome vert had a leak in 2008. There was oil all over the place! I had taken it to a local shop, their first diagnosis was "rear main seal". I was like, "ok.....but I want dye test to be sure...". They said no problem, stuck the dye in, got out the light and it ended up being the oil cooler gasket that is against the block. Super easy and cheap fix. Those fools were all ready to replace the rear main seal and charge a fortune.

I hope yours turns out this lucky

Users who are viewing this thread