Oil Leak filter housing

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I have an oil leak around the filter area. Replaced filter, still leaks and car smells like crap. It is not the filter, it is the housing it screws into or somewhere there. I searched and it sounds like I need a 1/2" allen wrench to torque down the center screw the filter screws onto. What should I torque it too? And I also noticed 2 allen headed plugs that go into the housing. Do I need to torque those down as well? Thanks in advance.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I think it's a 12mm or 14mm, I recently did this and read that exact same line from a Shelbyguy post, and now I myself can't remember. Those are notorious for coming loose though. Can't say for the other allen plugs.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have an oil leak around the filter area. Replaced filter, still leaks and car smells like crap. It is not the filter, it is the housing it screws into or somewhere there. I searched and it sounds like I need a 1/2" allen wrench to torque down the center screw the filter screws onto. What should I torque it too? And I also noticed 2 allen headed plugs that go into the housing. Do I need to torque those down as well? Thanks in advance.
The center tube needs to be snug. It has O-rings inside, so it does not need to be real tight. I just check mine every time my filter comes off right after I wipe down the flat part of the housing and check that the filter's sealing ring didn't get stuck.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i think mine just let go, 90k

haven't gotten under there yet but noticed a heavy leak from that area after parking it on sunday

damn - last oil change i was going to check that threaded tube too, but didn't have an allen wrench big enough

edit: whoops sorry mods, just noticed this thread is over a year old and prolly shouldn't have bumped, but it was the most recent one for what i searched for

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Here's a similar thead I posted in June.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/703561-oil-cooler-adapter-loose.html
It has a diagram from the manual. The manual has the torque value at 43 lb-ft for the 1/2" fitting. I bought a set of allen socket extensions that includes 1/2" but I haven't had a chance to change the oil again and tighten it...

thanks for the link

can anyone confirm that it is a 1/2" hex head? that would be surprising since just about everything on these engines is metric

i am thinking a 12 or 13 metric hex head socket? i buy all my shit piecemeal as needed lol!

plus its funny but the factory diagram does not show o-rings on that assembly, just the gasket between the block and adapter

Last edited:

Scottyk

Established Member
I used a head of a bolt to act as a allen wrench to tighten mine, double nutted it, tack welded the nuts so they dont come loose and it worked great. You dont really HAVE to buy a allen wrench. there is also some O-rings in there that can leak

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
thanks for the link

can anyone confirm that it is a 1/2" hex head? that would be surprising since just about everything on these engines is metric

i am thinking a 12 or 13 metric hex head socket? i buy all my shit piecemeal as needed lol!

plus its funny but the factory diagram does not show o-rings on that assembly, just the gasket between the block and adapter
Mine is definitly 1/2". Everytime I change the filter I check that it's still tight.

My old 86 GT was an odd combination of SAE and Metric. When changing the water pump, I had to loosen and move the alternator and AC units. One was metric and the other was SAE (I forget which one was metric). PITA really.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Mine is definitly 1/2". Everytime I change the filter I check that it's still tight.

My old 86 GT was an odd combination of SAE and Metric. When changing the water pump, I had to loosen and move the alternator and AC units. One was metric and the other was SAE (I forget which one was metric). PITA really.

cool man i appreciate it :beer: i saw that you posted in many threads about this issue.

yeah def real weird for that to be sae since the oil filter threads are 22mm...

Users who are viewing this thread