Oil in plug well

Roland281

Established Member
So I've had this happen before but there was always oil residue around the top seal that shows it's been leaking. However here it's just pooled at the bottom around the plug and the top seal is completely clean and dry. This is on the 3.7. Is it possible that its leaking from where the well fits into the head? Or maybe just and extremely slow weep from the top seal that's cooking off. Car did smell like oil burning after long drives at 80mph or prolonged aggressive driving, so I did get cam cover gaskets. Just want to make sure there isn't a know issue with maybe the well leaking at the base.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I assume it’s like the other mod motors and there’s a little donut seal where the valve cover meets the head

Roland281

Established Member
I assume it’s like the other mod motors and there’s a little donut seal where the valve cover meets the head
Yeah, it just confuses me that there was no oil residue around that seal but yet quite a large pool of oil around the plug.

Roland281

Established Member
What do you mean by top seal
The donut seal around the top of the well.

So most of the oil pool went into the cylinder when i pulled the plug, and the oil down the side of the well dripped off the plug when i pulled it out. Everything is clean and dry except for the are the bottom.
plugwell.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread