Oil Filter Relocation

tnuce10

Established Member
Those of you that have relocated your oil filter, what kit did you use or did you piece together your own kit?

I am looking at the MM kit:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/O...Kit-for-2003-2004-Cobra-Severe-Duty-P936.aspx
MM has quality parts and I like braided lines with AN fittings, but it is on the pricey side.

On3 also makes one, but it is rubber hose and just doesn't look as nice. Price it $129.

If you have pieced yours together, what parts did you use and what did you end up having into it?

Any advice is appreciated. Basically I'm looking for you guys to nudge me towards my best option on this.

Thanks

MTBSully

Established Member
I have the on3 kit. I made my own stainless braided lines and fittings. Works awesome, and I probably have under $200 into it. (Well actually it came with my turbo kit, but if you buy it for $129, the braided line and fittings cost me around $60.

IMAG0048_zps3e8vewra.jpg

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
If you buy the on3 kit it comes with this nifty feature that lets you change your oil on the side of the highway. Only works if you use their line and fitting. Ask me how I know.

Bigggy

Established Member
Bought the car with the MM kit installed, its a pain to remove the filter without dropping oil all over the fogs lights, but it's the same as the other kit. Had to dripping problem last summer ended up being the adapter plate that was loose (on the motor). Had to buy a 1-1/2" socket and it was fix. MM = great quality as always.

tnuce10

Established Member
MTBSully - I've been following your build. How many miles have you put on your car with the On3 kit?

tnuce10

Established Member
If you buy the on3 kit it comes with this nifty feature that lets you change your oil on the side of the highway. Only works if you use their line and fitting. Ask me how I know.

Haha if I were to go with the On3 kit, I will upgrade the lines before I even start the car

Bought the car with the MM kit installed, its a pain to remove the filter without dropping oil all over the fogs lights, but it's the same as the other kit. Had to dripping problem last summer ended up being the adapter plate that was loose (on the motor). Had to buy a 1-1/2" socket and it was fix. MM = great quality as always.

I don't want to skimp on something so simple, but it sounds like both kits will do the job. Hmmm..

tnuce10

Established Member
Correction - I emailed On3 and their relocation kits are $69.

This is be cheap even after I do lines and fittings

MTBSully

Established Member
MTBSully - I've been following your build. How many miles have you put on your car with the On3 kit?

Just under 5000. No major issues. I bought just the piping and pieced together the rest (turbo, wastegates, boost controller etc) and made a bunch more. Anything that was rubber hose (turbo drain, that shitty turbo feed, and the oil relocation lines) I replaced with braided stainless line. Once you make your own lines, I really dont see anything that justifies the cost of the MM kit over the on3.

Hell I just received my on3 coolant crossover delete kit after reading about how many people were upset with the quality of the MMR kit.

tnuce10

Established Member
Good advice on changing out all the lines.

I've been following your crossover delete thread and that is on my to-do list for sure.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
The only thing I worry about with the On3 kit is the pieces are made from cast aluminum vs billet with the MM stuff. There is probably a very minute chance it ever cracks but I didn't want to take any chances with the oiling system.

I pieced mine together for less than the MM kit. I bought the MM filter adapter for around $50 and then bought a block adapter from Moroso for around $80 (looks exactly the same as the MM piece). 6ish ft of line and fittings ran me about $100 IIRC. So around $230 for the same stuff MM is selling for $329.

I still have my On3 stuff sitting in a box somewhere if you want it. You pay shipping and it's all yours.

Last edited:

tnuce10

Established Member
That's an awesome offer, I appreciate it man.

I'm happy to take it off your hands, I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks A LOT

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Had a couple people PM me about the pieces I used for my oil filter relocation so thought I would expand and include some pics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MM oil filter adapter - Mounted this to the front bumper where MM suggests but beware if you buy it on its own, it doesn't come with the bracket like is included in the kit. However, it easily mounts to the bumper. I drilled through the bumper on both sides and used stainless cap screws. Easy enough to get an allen wrench through to the bolts.

zdBv1eo.jpg

Moroso Universal Remote Oil Filter Adapter - Part# 23686

59g1K8w.jpg

Line and fittings are whatever you prefer. I used Jeg's Pro-flo 350 hose as it's easy to work with and won't tear a bunch of stuff up if it rubs on something (it has a nylon braid on it). For fittings, I wound up needing 45 degree fittings on each end to get it routed how I needed it.

Jeg's Pro-Flo 350 Series Nylon Braided Hose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I mounted the oil filter adapter to the bumper and how I routed the lines

0ElS9Pc.png

M2qnCMA.jpg

And if anyone is curious, here is the On3Performance oil relocation kit sans rubber hose. My kit is a little older but looking at MTBSully's pics, it appears to be the same hardware, just black now instead of raw aluminum. With proper AN fittings and lines, it should serve its purpose just fine.

xOXxYe1.png

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
Had a couple people PM me about the pieces I used for my oil filter relocation so thought I would expand and include some pics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MM oil filter adapter - Mounted this to the front bumper where MM suggests but beware if you buy it on its own, it doesn't come with the bracket like is included in the kit. However, it easily mounts to the bumper. I drilled through the bumper on both sides and used stainless cap screws. Easy enough to get an allen wrench through to the bolts.

zdBv1eo.jpg

Moroso Universal Remote Oil Filter Adapter - Part# 23686

59g1K8w.jpg

Line and fittings are whatever you prefer. I used Jeg's Pro-flo 350 hose as it's easy to work with and won't tear a bunch of stuff up if it rubs on something (it has a nylon braid on it). For fittings, I wound up needing 45 degree fittings on each end to get it routed how I needed it.

Jeg's Pro-Flo 350 Series Nylon Braided Hose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I mounted the oil filter adapter to the bumper and how I routed the lines

0ElS9Pc.png

M2qnCMA.jpg

And if anyone is curious, here is the On3Performance oil relocation kit sans rubber hose. My kit is a little older but looking at MTBSully's pics, it appears to be the same hardware, just black now instead of raw aluminum. With proper AN fittings and lines, it should serve its purpose just fine.

xOXxYe1.png

Thats exactly how mine looked. I painted it flat black for a cleaner look.:coolman:

stickytack

Established Member
Sorry to bring this back up from almost a year ago, but what fittings are you guys using on the Maximum Motorsports oil filter adapter? Their website says it has straight threads: 7/8"-14, but what fittings can I buy to adapt this to a -10 line? Forgive me if this is a stupid question lol.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member

bearster18

Established Member
Anyone know what size fittings screw into the filter side of the oil filter mount side of the on3 relocation kit? I'm trying to be proactive while I wait for my kit to arrive correct fittings and braided hose. Going wit -8an lines and fittings .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread