Oil filter housing leak

edswhite99

Established Member
Over the past couple of weeks I noticed that my car was leaving a few drops of oil on the ground. *I took a look and didn't see anything obvious. This morning when I backed out of my garage I noticed a small puddle of oil and took another look. It turns out that I have a pinhole in my oil filter housing.*
How difficult is this to replace? *I'm a basic wrencher with common tools. If this is over my skill level, how long should it take a shop to replace the housing? *I'm curious about the time cause this is my dd and can't really leave it at a shop for days without making plans beforehand.*

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Just involves draining the coolant, oil, and removing/installing the filter/cooler adapter. You need a 1/2" hex key ratchet to remove the adapter. You'll know where it goes when you get to it. Old one comes off, new filter adapter back on. 7 qts of oil, then refill and burp your coolant system properly. There's a how to on here with the proper-ish technique on filling the coolant. Maybe a 1 1/2 hour job tops for your first time.

Here comes the bad part....
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ng-46L-4V-Oil-Cooler-Will-Not-Fit-03-04-Cobra

Last edited:

edswhite99

Established Member
Let me get this right. I need to buy the oil filter housing, a new gasket, and a new filter adapter?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Don't think an o-ring is going to fix a hole in the actual housing.

The pin hole on the bottom of the oil cooler is actually a "weep hole".

The purpose of a weep hole is to let you know that the sealed system inside has been compromised. This means that an o-ring has gone bad. There is no need to buy a brand new complete assembly.

PM me if you need more info, or do a seach for leaking oil cooler.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
^ The hole is supposed to be there !! Don't try and plug it up like others have done.

Usually if you try to tighten the aforementioned 1/2" hex/allen, it will solve the problem or the o-ring has to be replaced.

Cobra of 1999

Established Member
its much cheaper at ford believe it or not.. i purchased mine for like 150-200 a while back so dont remember the exact number.. but wasnt 340

edswhite99

Established Member
The pin hole on the bottom of the oil cooler is actually a "weep hole".

PM me if you need more info, or do a seach for leaking oil cooler.

so it's actually called an oil cooler? Man, I swear I learn something new each time I log on here. Thanks

Mandoh91

Established Member
Just involves draining the coolant, oil, and removing/installing the filter/cooler adapter. You need a 1/2" hex key ratchet to remove the adapter. You'll know where it goes when you get to it. Old one comes off, new filter adapter back on. 7 qts of oil, then refill and burp your coolant system properly. There's a how to on here with the proper-ish technique on filling the coolant. Maybe a 1 1/2 hour job tops for your first time.

Here comes the bad part....
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ng-46L-4V-Oil-Cooler-Will-Not-Fit-03-04-Cobra
I have a question if your available please??

shurur

Established Member
I have a question if your available please??
Snakeraper11b has not been around for a bit.

They make complete rebuild kits for the oil cooler on ebay. I rebuild mine.

Imo they introduce a chance to mix oil and coolant with no real cooling benefit.

Todd Warren aka na svt, essentially says they are worthless.
The GT oil filter fixture is a direct replacement without the cooler.
Even after rebuilding mine, I am getting rid of it.

Vids are on youtube.
The bitchy part is when the ground bolt is siezed with the lug ...then the ground line needs to be cut so entire bolt and lug can be spun off...
Those bolts are hard to find..so soak it all in vinegar and then get nuts, lugs and bolts apart...then grease the crap out of it.
Then you can resplice the cut ground wire with an electrical coupling kit or solder crimp kit, with shrink tubing. That can be found at lowes or HD.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread