Oil Cooler Options

CCS86

Established Member
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with these Derale oil cooler kits? http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15451/10002/-1?parentProductId=1335937

I'm having a hard time finding hands on experience about the quality.

With the heat we get in TX, and the possibility of a Kenne Bell in the near future, I'd really like to add some cooling (without dumping heat into the coolant like the Boss style cooler). Any feedback or options would be appreciated!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

CCS86

Established Member
The Mishimoto kit definitely looks like it is high quality, but the cost is a bit out of hand. I work in manufacturing and just don't see the cost justification.

Comparing Mishimoto to the Derale kit, the improvements I see are:

-Better quality heat exchanger (definite value there)

-AN fittings + braided hose vs hose barb + standard hose (really just cosmetic)

-CNC adapter plate w /thermostat vs cast adapter w/ thermostat? (This is just based on photos and I'm still not sure if Derale includes a thermostat)

-Mounting bracket vs none. (I'm not too concerned about mounting it on my own)

I'm hoping that we can find some hands on experience with Derale's kit. I'm certainly not interested in plumbing something sketchy into my oil system. No drop in oil temp is worth a potential sudden loss in pressure! But I think there is middle ground in finding something durable and reasonably priced. An oil cooler is a pretty simple assembly.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Be sure to check out the MMR kit also, they are $399 and are all 100% USA made and use AN Fittings throughout!

Coyote%20cooler.jpg

2011-2014 GT and Boss Oil Cooler Kit / Oil filter relocation
The MMR oil cooler kit replaces the entire factory cooler with a lightweight, high efficiency air/oil cooler. This drastically reduces oil and coolant temperatures increasing detonation resistance allowing for more boost, more power and ultimately lower oil temps for better reliability and engine life. Great For those Turbo applications where removal of the factory bracket/cooler gives more clearance for custom headers etc. Highly recommended for ALL modified 5.0 and Mandatory for Road Racing and Texas Mile type events. Includes all parts needed along with high quality braided stainless steel lines and AN fittings along with MMR Billet block adapter (PN#444832).

Last edited:

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Be sure to check out the MMR kit also, they are $399 and are all 100% USA made and use AN Fittings throughout!

Coyote%20cooler.jpg

2011-2014 GT and Boss Oil Cooler Kit / Oil filter relocation
The MMR oil cooler kit replaces the entire factory cooler with a lightweight, high efficiency air/oil cooler. This drastically reduces oil and coolant temperatures increasing detonation resistance allowing for more boost, more power and ultimately lower oil temps for better reliability and engine life. Great For those Turbo applications where removal of the factory bracket/cooler gives more clearance for custom headers etc. Highly recommended for ALL modified 5.0 and Mandatory for Road Racing and Texas Mile type events. Includes all parts needed along with high quality braided stainless steel lines and AN fittings along with MMR Billet block adapter (PN#444832).

Thermostat?

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
The Mishimoto kit definitely looks like it is high quality, but the cost is a bit out of hand. I work in manufacturing and just don't see the cost justification.

Comparing Mishimoto to the Derale kit, the improvements I see are:

-Better quality heat exchanger (definite value there)

-AN fittings + braided hose vs hose barb + standard hose (really just cosmetic)

-CNC adapter plate w /thermostat vs cast adapter w/ thermostat? (This is just based on photos and I'm still not sure if Derale includes a thermostat)

-Mounting bracket vs none. (I'm not too concerned about mounting it on my own)

I'm hoping that we can find some hands on experience with Derale's kit. I'm certainly not interested in plumbing something sketchy into my oil system. No drop in oil temp is worth a potential sudden loss in pressure! But I think there is middle ground in finding something durable and reasonably priced. An oil cooler is a pretty simple assembly.

The non mustang specific kit seems to be $398.

http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMO...7853&sr=1-2&keywords=Mishimoto+oil+cooler+kit

Also, Derale kit says "180°F In-Line thermostat(where applicable)"

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
No thanks ....

Setrab 9 series cooler, -10 AN hoses & fittings, Improved racing high flow thermostat

This thread has a lot of really good info on oil coolers.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7462.0

A lot of good info in that thread, but no real consensus. And all Boss models w/out oil squirters shifting really high.

Nevertheless, it seems everyone was needing to go bigger and bigger. No one really able to keep temps below 265-270.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I seems like a lot of the issues are with trying to capitalize on airfow. I would think a 6-7" wide core that's 22-26" long mounted directly in the lower facia opening would do well, like an intercooler does.

Like the Setrab Slimline racing series:

SLM-oilcooler.jpg

5.5" high 26" long

At a cheap $460, haha

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
After doing some research. Setrab seems like the expensive route to go, and moshimoto (made in China) has had some mixed reviews as far as quality goes on their sandwich/thermo plate.

So i looked for a all or mostly USA made option that wont brake the bank. This by my measure is the most thermal and cost efficient oil cooler route.

Using a Morale plate and thermo with the proper BSP fittings: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/13462/Sandwich_Plates Around $129

Then I'm thinking a dual 16-row cooler set up for about 64,000 BTU theoretical cooling.

UEhJkNX.jpg

This fits in the opening of the lower facia of the GT, if someone withe a GT/CS can measure their opening that would confirm for that as well. The mounting tabs of one cooler would be cut off one end or they could be modified to be sandwiched together and bolted.

With these fittings and the 90's and straights you need for the in/out it's around $398-420 plus hose.

So not only USA made and higher max BTU, also more direct high pressure air flow for around the same or less than the Moshimoto kit and a lot less than the setrab.

CCS86

Established Member
After doing some research. Setrab seems like the expensive route to go, and moshimoto (made in China) has had some mixed reviews as far as quality goes on their sandwich/thermo plate.

So i looked for a all or mostly USA made option that wont brake the bank. This by my measure is the most thermal and cost efficient oil cooler route.

Using a Morale plate and thermo with the proper BSP fittings: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/13462/Sandwich_Plates Around $129

Then I'm thinking a dual 16-row cooler set up for about 64,000 BTU theoretical cooling.

UEhJkNX.jpg

This fits in the opening of the lower facia of the GT, if someone withe a GT/CS can measure their opening that would confirm for that as well. The mounting tabs of one cooler would be cut off one end or they could be modified to be sandwiched together and bolted.

With these fittings and the 90's and straights you need for the in/out it's around $398-420 plus hose.

So not only USA made and higher max BTU, also more direct high pressure air flow for around the same or less than the Moshimoto kit and a lot less than the setrab.
Good post, thanks man!

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I decided to look for a one piece extra wide short style cooler to place in a Boss/CS lower facia opening.
Going with the Earl's Performance/Holley extra wide 81900 series

361-81900.jpg

about 14" x 5 7/8" x 2" and American made
55,900 BTU's at 55mph which should get the job done, but there's a 7" tall option as well at 73,500BTU's if it fits in the CS facia.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I'm considering mounting the Mishimoto unit in the driver side fender well and cutting a hole in said fender well right behind where the cooler would mount. Maybe a push through fan too? It'd be hidden away but would also allow for heat to be pushed and drawn out. There's nothing in that area would be perfect for a small oil cooler

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I'm considering mounting the Mishimoto unit in the driver side fender well and cutting a hole in said fender well right behind where the cooler would mount. Maybe a push through fan too? It'd be hidden away but would also allow for heat to be pushed and drawn out. There's nothing in that area would be perfect for a small oil cooler
With a fan that would be fine for drag racing, but really won't do too much cooling at speed. The fender well is a low pressure area and the moshi cooler is already pretty small for our engine and oil capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread