Oil cooler delete help.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Thanks, but i just was wondering if it helps keep the oil cooler after engine is heated up and running in hot weather. What year GT adapters fit the 01 Cobras?, maybe available from a wrecking yard?

Badaz01

Established Member
Thanks, but i just was wondering if it helps keep the oil cooler after engine is heated up and running in hot weather. What year GT adapters fit the 01 Cobras?, maybe available from a wrecking yard?
99-04 gt will work. And not sure on the cooling of the stock cooler. Theoretically the coolant is gonna be pretty close to engine temps to not make that much of a difference in my opinion. If you are wanting your oil cooled then I would recommend an external oil cooler with a filter relocation kit which unless you are road coursing your car is complete over kill. For a daily driver the gt unit seems to be the way to go. It’s the way I have and several others have gone with no issue do date. Also the majority of cars today don’t run with them. Cobra engineering has a write up on the stock oil cooler and how it was an emissions marketing thing. You just have to look up their oil cooler delete plate which requires the oil filter relocation kit.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Dont need an external cooler for mostly daily drives or trips but if the stock cooler is actually not cooling the oil but heating it after warm up then I want to delete it. And to confirm that any Gt 99--04 will work to delete it.

Badaz01

Established Member
Dont need an external cooler for mostly daily drives or trips but if the stock cooler is actually not cooling the oil but heating it after warm up then I want to delete it. And to confirm that any Gt 99--04 will work to delete it.
The 99-04 adapter worked on my 01 cobra.

shurur

Established Member
Yup..I think it is more like a temperature regulator, Like the automatic transmission fluid coils inside the radiators and the coolant lines that go to throttle bodies.

Badaz01

Established Member
07F568A6-6E03-42B9-947F-080B65B7FA5F.jpeg

Just a little back side shot of the cobra while in surgery lol.

wildturkey

Established Member
This is how I attacked my oil cooler delete. The adapter came from a 96 Thunderbird, I cut off the elbow and had a friend weld the two pieces together. I had to come up with a hose in the shape of a small question mark to make the bend around the alternator, but it's in the car.

Read ya later, Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_183325.jpg
    IMG_20220330_183325.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20221122_152324.jpg
    IMG_20221122_152324.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 76

wildturkey

Established Member
I forgot to mention, I had a WAP block from a 2003 Aviator so be mindful of the oil filter adapter gasket there are differences between blocks.

Read ya later, Nick

Users who are viewing this thread