MassCobra

All set
Established Member
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081016/oil_prices.html

AP
Oil plummets on big jumps in US crude, gas stocks
Thursday October 16, 1:49 pm ET
By Stevenson Jacobs, AP Business Writer
Oil prices tumble below $69 on bigger-than-expect jumps in US crude, gasoline supplies

NEW YORK (AP) -- Oil briefly plunged below $69 a barrel Thursday, bringing its price to less than half its July record high after the government reported massive increases in U.S. crude and gasoline supplies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Investors took the news as more evidence that a global credit crisis and a shaky economy are curbing demand for oil, which at one point Thursday fell to its lowest level in nearly 16 months.

At the pump, a gallon of regular gasoline shed another 4 cents overnight to a new national average of $3.084, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express. At this rate, the national average could fall below $3 by the weekend.

The selloff in crude came despite an announcement by OPEC on Thursday that it was moving up by almost a month an emergency meeting to discuss oil's rapid drop in value, including whether or not a production cut is needed. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries will now meet Oct. 24 at its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, instead of Nov. 18.

Oil market traders ignored the statement, convinced that prices are headed lower.

Light, sweet crude for November delivery dropped as low as $68.57 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange before paring some of its losses to trade down $3.14 at $71.40. It was crude's lowest trading level since June 27, 2007.

Crude has now fallen 52 percent since surging to a record $147.27 on July 11. Some energy analysts have predicted oil could fall as low as $50.

Thursday's declines accelerated after the U.S. Energy Information Administration said in its weekly report that crude stocks rose by 5.6 million barrels last week, well above the 3.1 million barrel increase expected by analysts surveyed by energy research firm Platts.

The EIA also says gasoline stock rose by 7 million barrels last week, more than double the build analysts had expected.

Demand for gasoline over the four weeks ended Oct. 10 was 5.2 percent lower than a year earlier, averaging nearly 8.8 million barrels a day, the EIA said.

"This report is playing right into the market's deepest fears, that the economy is slowing down and that demand is going to be nonexistent," said Phil Flynn, energy analyst at Alaron Trading Corp. in Chicago.

While U.S. energy supplies have been swelling because of falling demand, they've also grown as U.S. Gulf Coast energy installations continue to increase production after shutdowns caused by Hurricanes Ike and Gustav. That has helped to further drive down prices, especially for gasoline.

But analysts doubt a production cut by OPEC, which investors view as increasingly likely, would do much to suspend oil's free fall. OPEC's decision last month to cut production by 520,000 barrels a day hardly made a dent in oil prices.

"I think the market has already priced in another 500,000 barrel production cut and it doesn't care," Flynn said.

He said OPEC's decision to move up their extraordinary meeting underscores the cartel's anxiety about oil's stunning drop in value. Analysts believe several OPEC members, particularly Venezuela and Iran, budgeted their national spending based on oil at much higher levels, meaning they'll face substantial revenue shortfalls as prices come down."They're panicking," Flynn said. "If they come in and cut production and oil falls to $60, they're going to look like they've lost control, which they have."

Also weighing on prices Thursday was the expiration of November oil contract options at the end of the day, a trading cycle that often increases volatility.

In other Nymex trading, heating oil futures fell 7.7 cent to $2.14 a gallon, while gasoline prices sank by 14.5 cents to $1.6372 a gallon. Natural gas for November delivery rose by 14.1 cents to $7.277 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, November Brent crude fell $4.21 to $66.59 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

Haha, looks like their Departments of Terrorism are going to face some budget cuts.
Seriously though, don't ya feel bad for OPEC? :bash:

Screw them. They were the only ones getting rich as the world economy crumbles.

Last edited:

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
Hmmm,last year around this time oil was $102 a barrel.gas was $2.75 a gallon.Gas is $69 a barrel now and still paying over $3.00...

Thats what they should have been discussing at the debate last night..

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
:banana: Words cannot describe the awesomeness. I saw $2.98 for regular yesterday for the first time...though I still paid $3.43 for 93.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/10/news/economy/oil_prices/index.htm?postversion=2008101013

What I would like to know though, is that if oil is at 69$ a barrel, why the **** isn't this reflecting at the pump?

If I remember correctly, last time oil was 60$ a barrel, it was roughly $2.40 a gallon at the pump for 87. 140$ a barrel = 4.50 a gallon, 40$ a barrel = 1.30 a gallon, but 70$ a barrel = 3.30 a gallon? Something doesn't add up. I think we're still getting ****ed at the pumps somewhere in there.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
We are still getting screwed at the pump. I wonder what kind of profits the oil companies will be posting soon!

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
We are still getting screwed at the pump. I wonder what kind of profits the oil companies will be posting soon!

Yeah I agree. Prices are rapidly decreasing, yet I have this bad feeling I'll never see below $3.00 for 93 octane fuel again here. :??:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
weren't they saying it went so high cuz china and india needed it more?

so i guess that whole supply and demand argument was bs, it was greedy speculators all the time

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/10/news/economy/oil_prices/index.htm?postversion=2008101013

What I would like to know though, is that if oil is at 69$ a barrel, why the **** isn't this reflecting at the pump?

If I remember correctly, last time oil was 60$ a barrel, it was roughly $2.40 a gallon at the pump for 87. 140$ a barrel = 4.50 a gallon, 40$ a barrel = 1.30 a gallon, but 70$ a barrel = 3.30 a gallon? Something doesn't add up. I think we're still getting ****ed at the pumps somewhere in there.

someone will come in and post about taxes and other reasons why the price of gas hasnt dropped. they did in the other thread, that the price of oil doesnt directly affect the price of gasoline :??::dw:

all i want to know is, when crude oil hits $10 a barrel, THEN will it be back to $2 a gallon?! :cuss::nonono:

nothing like spending $50 in my f150 just to make a round trip across town to transport some products :kaboom:

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
Guys you have to remember that alot of the gas stations bought the gas at a higher price. You buy contracts for gas months in advance. I paid 2.69 for gas last night. I will be sub 2.25 pretty soon

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
I personally want gas to go back up :shrug: more jackass drivers off the road imo.

Ive seen 2.65 for regular gas here and its dropping at a very fast rate over the last few weeks..

You people that are complaining that gas prices are not going down fast enough; gas stations don't change the price UNTIL they pay that amount. They have to sell the gas they paid $3.15 for before selling the gas they paid $2.95 for...basic economics...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Guys you have to remember that alot of the gas stations bought the gas at a higher price. You buy contracts for gas months in advance. I paid 2.69 for gas last night. I will be sub 2.25 pretty soon

i can buy that, but shouldnt it have take awhile to go up too then? they were immediately skyrocketing as soon as crude prices were rising.

Ralph

Established Member

To add to your theory:

When the gas stations pay for their fuel before a hurricane and it jumps +$2.00 overnight... what is the explanation for that?

Users who are viewing this thread