oil consumption

71stang99

Established Member
what the "normal" consuption for oil? my 99 cobra used just over a quart of mobil 1 synthetic in just over 600 miles, the car is right at 25K and out of the last 600 miles about 250 was highway. I just want the consensus before I decide if to take it in to the dealership while its under warrenty.

SC Cobra

Established Member
usually oil consumption is in the break in period, but this has 25k miles on it, do you see any blue smoke coming out of the tail pipes or any black substance on the tail pipe?

71stang99

Established Member
I havn't noticed any smoke on start up or any oily substance around the tailpipe, thats why I am concerned since the warrenty is running out in a few months.

kwiksnake

Established Member
My 99 has just over 11,000 on it and it never uses any oil. I think I run it kind of hard too. You may want to get that checked out now before that warranty is up.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
My Cobra hasn't ever consumed any oil. You need to get it checked.

SC Cobra

Established Member
i agree, take it back to the dealership and have them look at it as soon as possible

FYI: i work at a chevy dealership, and we had alot of corvette owners come back and complain about there vettes consuming alot of oil, like 4-5 quarts a month.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SC Cobra
i agree, take it back to the dealership and have them look at it as soon as possible

FYI: i work at a chevy dealership, and we had alot of corvette owners come back and complain about there vettes consuming alot of oil, like 4-5 quarts a month.

Actually from the LS1 owners I have spoken to they all say that they get blow through on their break-in periods and the engine eats oil. But after that they said it went away; but then again they also claim 12's out of a stock LS1 also. :-D ****Runs to get his flame suit****

96blownsvt

Established Member
Make sure you put full six quarts!!!!!:-? No flame here, just happened once at a lube center. Also synthetics sometimes do get consumed! change to 20w50 multiblend or regular for summer, And a 5w 30 for the cold days, I have heard of this before!

JR
96svtblown

:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread