Oil Consumption Issues 2019+

ml504

Established Member
I have read comments that the 2019 and up GT350s do not have the oil consumption issues that the earlier models had and thus not at risk of having to receive a replacement engine. Can anyone verify this is true or is the issue still randomly a problem? Starting to shop for a used model and am trying to narrow down which years to focus on. Thanks.

5.2Leader

Established Member
Mine is a 2017, built in August of 2016. I may burn a quart every 5000-6000 miles or between oil changes if you will. Just turned 15,000 miles last oil change at 11,000ish miles nothing burned yet. Personally I think it is a hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Rjay

Established Member
I have read comments that the 2019 and up GT350s do not have the oil consumption issues that the earlier models had and thus not at risk of having to receive a replacement engine. Can anyone verify this is true or is the issue still randomly a problem? Starting to shop for a used model and am trying to narrow down which years to focus on. Thanks.
First, the 2019 MY was totally wonky when it came to deliveries. You had a few 2019's hit the dealerships in Feb/Mar, where most of them sat with high ADM's. Then there was a LONG production delay that involved a steering wheel strike in their Mexico factory and defective shift mechanisms from their supplier. After all was said and done, deliveries seemed to pick up again in May and continued strong until the end of the MY. I say all that to say this - there aren't a whole lot of 2019's with a lot of miles on them. I took delivery on 07/26 and have 3000 miles on mine. First oil change at 1600 miles and no oil consumption noted before or after.

I'm sure if a 2019 K block starts to burn oil it will hit the internet immediately. For now, I'm still enjoying the new car smell. I take some comfort in the fact that the 2019 GT350R motor shares its block with the 2020 GT500 - hopefully FP beefed things up to the point it could be supercharged and not blow.

Not being nosy, but what are you looking to spend? You can find new GT350's below invoice right now. The 2020 GT350's are already being delivered and the GT500's are right around the corner. The deals on 2019's are absolutely killer at the moment.

If you're definitely in the used market, I have to say it seems the 2017's have been hit hard with motor issues. But I've also seen 16's and 18's talking about their new motors under warranty. I would pop the driver's side coil cover off of any GT350 I was considering and check to see if it doesn't already have a replacement engine under the hood. Matching numbers don't matter to me, reliability does. That might be another factor for you to consider.

Rjay

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I currently own a 2006 Gallardo and am considering selling as we need something with 4 seats with kids wanting to go everywhere I go now.
Well, like most Mustang's, it's two adult seats and two kid seats. I wouldn't put anyone I liked in the back seat of mine for very long! ;)

mavisky

Established Member
I put my 6 year old in the back of mine happily, but on the passenger side where I have to move the passenger seat forward a bit to give her more legroom as her feet seem to hang right at the same level as the seat base keeping her from using the footwell for her feet. Perhaps your 8 year old would fit well behind the driver's seat and the 5 year old behind the passenger seat.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Now that we know the back seat leg room........any insight on 19+ gt350 oil consumption?

mavisky

Established Member
Due to the production issues around the steering wheel and shifter mechanism many 2019 orders were delayed so owners weren't driving them as much as they would have like to have been driving them. I don't think I've heard of any issues with excessive oil consumption, but I don't know how many 19's out there have even made it too far past their first oil change either. Hell my early production 2018 is only a hair over 8,000 miles at this point.

Kobra Kai

Established Member
Hi, all.

I've been meaning to copy my word document onto a new thread to share my experience so far with my 2019 GT350. As I write this, I have 8503.2 miles on the ODO.

I won't go into details here, but in terms of oil consumption it's minimal. I installed Ford Performance catch cans as soon as I got it and have been monitoring the oil ever since. I use a syringe to extract the oil in the catch can and measure 10-30mL (0.34-1.0 fl.oz) of oil every 1,000 miles.

Planning to do a short road trip to LA from the Bay. I want to include the experience of that in my thread before posting it. So keep an eye out if you're interested.

03reptile

Established Member
I have 3K plus miles on my 2019 GT350. Other than the long delay for steering wheel acquisition and the shifter needing to be replaced due to the vendors screw up, it's been a great car! It has not used a drop of oil since I got it. Changed oil at 1K miles and since then I've been driving it relentlessly! I think Ford cured the issues previously experienced by a few owners.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I have a 2019 Convertible with 15K miles and it doesn't appear to be using much oil........will know more in a few weeks as I drive it more and continue to be amazed at how nice this thing is!!:)

03reptile

Established Member
I have a 2019 Convertible with 15K miles and it doesn't appear to be using much oil........will know more in a few weeks as I drive it more and continue to be amazed at how nice this thing is!!:)
You do realize that this discussion concerns the Shelby GT350's Voodoo engine? However, glad your 2019 Mustang convertible uses no oil and you're pleased with it! LOL!

Coosawjack

Established Member
Sorry to intrude....but I read the title and didn't realize I was in a "sacred forum"...my apologies!!:(

However, I am concerned about oil consumption in any of these engines...especially since FORD is keeping the cause a secret!!:cool:

rick shea

Now that we know the back seat leg room........any insight on 19+ gt350 oil consumption?
I have a 2019 GT350R KR039. It has about 2500 miles on it with no oil consumption problems....actually no problems at all. About 2000 of those miles were put on the first two week I owned the car as we drove it back from a dealer in Indiana to Seattle.

xeongt

Thanks for the info. I currently own a 2006 Gallardo and am considering selling as we need something with 4 seats with kids wanting to go everywhere I go now.

I had a 06 Gallardo as well and sold it due to my son being born. Now on I’m on my 2nd GT350 and the kiddo loves riding in the back. With a rear-facing car seat don’t expect anyone to be able to sit in the passenger seat unless they are about 4’ tall lol. Oh and strangely my ‘16 GT350 never burned oil and luckily my ‘19 hasn’t yet either.

ml504

Established Member
I had a 06 Gallardo as well and sold it due to my son being born. Now on I’m on my 2nd GT350 and the kiddo loves riding in the back. With a rear-facing car seat don’t expect anyone to be able to sit in the passenger seat unless they are about 4’ tall lol. Oh and strangely my ‘16 GT350 never burned oil and luckily my ‘19 hasn’t yet either.

What are your thoughts on the gt350 compared to the gallardo? I’m sure I’ll miss the car, but it’s time for a different setup.

Users who are viewing this thread