Oil Consumption and best oil weight

Longtubes

Established Member
Consuming a bit of oil every couple weeks, car runs great or at least seems to, no blue smoke that I notice, no visible leaks. Figure it's burning off somewhere, or from me pushing it harder. Anyways my question is, I've read about guys switching older SN95's at higher mileage (100-120K) to 10w40 up from 5w30. Would this be ok? Spring is here, summer coming. I'm using standard 5w30 right now, apparantly, most of these guys got oil consumption to go down considerably or go away for good by switching. A new oil change with 6 quarts of 10W40 and a Motorcraft Fuel Filter good?

- 5w30?

- 5w20?

- 10w30?

- 10w40?

5.0Flareside

Established Member
which engine? how many miles? what oil do you currently use and experience consumption with?

all this plays a part in oil choices

Longtubes

Established Member
Sorry for lack of details.

97 GT 4.6, 125k miles, currently and always have added 5w30.

Longtubes

Established Member
Have no clue what the other guy put in, gonna change the oil any day now. Seems pretty damn clear on the stick. When I need to top it off, just grab some A Plus brand from the local A Plus store....

Is that the problem?

1hot281

Established Member
Have no clue what the other guy put in, gonna change the oil any day now. Seems pretty damn clear on the stick. When I need to top it off, just grab some A Plus brand from the local A Plus store....

Is that the problem?

Lower quality oils burn off easier. Try a higher quality oil next oil change and see if the consumption changes. Perhaps Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a genuine Ford Motorcraft oil filter.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Change the Pcv valve if that hasn't ever been done before.Second,I'd try some Valvoline Maxlife either 5w30 or 10w30.Run this for a couple oil changes,report back.

Longtubes

Established Member
Changed PCV Valve back at the end of summer, pulled it and it still rattles around so I take it that its ok?

Willens

Never finishes anythi
Established Member
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 and OEM filters. I was a Mobil 1 guy for over a decade but after seeing numberous Blackstone reports among other evidence I switched about a year ago. I've been extremely happy with it in the ZTT, and would highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread