oil changes after blown head gasket?

dark-knight

Established Member
I blew the driverside headgasket somehow and finally finished it, drives good. But the oil is still mixed with water/coolant. Ive changed the oil and filter twice and it still isnt clear yet. Any ideas? The coolant tank stays full and the hottest it gets is 182.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
is it still milky? Is the coolant clean as in you know its not still mixing? How long have you let it run? Have you let the oil get up to temp so it can burn off condensation?

dark-knight

Established Member
I drained the radiator twice and filled it up and everytime it was clean as can me. Just when i drain the oil is when it looks slightly whiteish. I drive about 20 miles, let it get to regular temps, even get into boost a tiny tiny bit and then change it out.

dark-knight

Established Member
I need to pull the plugs and check. Its gotta be slightly leaking into the cylinders :/ which sucks extremely.

Mystic03

Established Member
Interesting im having the same problem but saw my oil cooler core rings were pinched I have not put fresh oil in it yet to confirm the fix.what were your symptoms prior to replacing head gaskets

dark-knight

Established Member
High engine temps, milky oil, coolant tank wouldnt stay full to save its life, and wet plug. Im really dreading going through all this again.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you had leaked a lot of coolant into the engine before you changed the gasket you may have a coating of emulsified goo on the inside of the engine. It might take several oil changes before it is entirely gone. And after each oil change go on at least a one hour drive on the freeway with the AC on. You want to get your inside the block temps over 212 degrees to boil out all the water trapped in the old coating inside the block.

If you still have milky oil in your drain pan after all that then you must still have a small water leak into the block area.

And if you had oil in the cooling system it's even harder to get all of it out. It could take three or four complete flushes using a radiator flush to break down all the oil.

Blueline

Established Member
Another thing can be if the car over heated initially, you needed to have the heads and blocked possibly decked and cleaned up to make sure they were perfect. GL man, it does suck.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
High engine temps, milky oil, coolant tank wouldnt stay full to save its life, and wet plug. Im really dreading going through all this again.

Did you do any compression and leak down tests prior to tearing it apart to verify you didn't also have a blown gasket on the passenger's side? Another thing to consider is your oil cooler could have a minor leak too causing the oil discoloration.
Also how many oil changes have you done since repairing the head gasket? I've had engines take as much as 3 to 4 oil changes after the repair before the oil stopped turning white.

dark-knight

Established Member
I have a mach 1 oil filter adapter (turbo car). I have an inline 170* t-stat, so temps done get to hot :/. Also i do have some kind of white substance that comes out of my pcv fitting, i guess thats that goo modman was talking about.

So is it safe to drive it? Maybe another compression check?

dark-knight

Established Member
Changed it twice since the repair. And i run two extra qrts through the motor and just let it drain out.

dark-knight

Established Member
Just drove it back home, about 45 mins of driving, and the temps stayed around 172-176* with the highest being 182* cause i had to speed up. But when i got home i checked the oil and it looked like melted vanilla ice cream on the dip stick.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Just drove it back home, about 45 mins of driving, and the temps stayed around 172-176* with the highest being 182* cause i had to speed up. But when i got home i checked the oil and it looked like melted vanilla ice cream on the dip stick.

Stop driving your car!!! What Tq and how did you torque the heads? Did you reuse your old TTY bolts?

If you torqued everything correctly the first time it's time to Pull the motor, inspect everything correctly, fix the problem and reinstall.

dark-knight

Established Member
About the 4th time pulling/ installing a 4v motor aswell as putting it together. I used oem head bolts and gaskets, torqued them down in the correct sequence and torque rating.

dark-knight

Established Member
I appreciate the advice, but im not gonna pull the motor in my daily driver until i know i absolutly need to.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
i hear you man. Your engine running/driving with milky oil is just a recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread