Oil Change at 800 miles

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
Question to all.

So I bought my car in October 2012. I have put a little over 800 miles and I have change oil soon every time I start my car. What did everyone else experience for mileage when they needed to conduct there first oil change?

mullens

Established Member
5000. That's 2500 sooner than what the manual says. I used to do the 1k thing but after years of wasting $$ it's really not necessary. Don't forget you have 8.5 qts swirling around in there. I just changed mine after the initial 5k and there were zero metal shavings. Others may have another opinion but that's what I do.

Last edited:

Cam

n/a
Established Member
You'll find more agreement on religion and politics than oil change intervals and break-in techniques.

I always do a 500 mile initial change for peace of mind.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
It also times out at 6 months.

Sometimes I would be changing with less then 100 miles on if that were the case. These engines are clean and efficient, its not like the carb days were your oil is carboned and black in 1000 miles. I usually change every 3-4000 miles even though it says to go 7k, just a habit. Anything less and you are waisting money on oil IMO.

Last edited:

Shhhh

Established Member
Sometimes I would be changing with less then 100 miles on if that were the case. These engines are clean and efficient, its not like the carb days were your oil is carboned and black in 1000 miles. I usually change every 3-4000 miles even though it says to go 7k, just a habit. Anything less and you are waisting money on oil IMO.

He's saying the computer will tell you to change your oil after 6 months even if you haven't driven that many miles. Not that the oil will "time out".

Kapy

Established Member
He's saying the computer will tell you to change your oil after 6 months even if you haven't driven that many miles. Not that the oil will "time out".

I have had my GT500 since 3rd week of November 12. I just clicked over about 450 miles the other day.

My oil percentage says 85% still, but I am nearly at the 5.5 month mark of owning the vehicle.

Technically the car was built in October, so the oil is already 6 months old, so your oil life indicator does not take in account the 6 month time rule. If that was the case my percentage would be near or at 0% already.

Shhhh

Established Member
I have had my GT500 since 3rd week of November 12. I just clicked over about 450 miles the other day.

My oil percentage says 85% still, but I am nearly at the 5.5 month mark of owning the vehicle.

Technically the car was built in October, so the oil is already 6 months old, so your oil life indicator does not take in account the 6 month time rule. If that was the case my percentage would be near or at 0% already.

I was just clearing up what the other guy posted. I have no idea when it decides to tell you to change your oil. I know mine told me too right around 900 miles and that was roughly 7-8 months after my build date.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
The oil life measurement is calculated based on a complex algorithm based on average oil temp, peak oil temp, miles, engine hours, average rpm, mean rpm, and engine cycles (number of times engine is started, warmed to operating temp, and then shut off and cooled), set to error on the side of caution. It is not meant to be taken as gospel, just a guideline/tool.

mullens

Established Member
Good info. Like everything else just a guideline. Mine went to 10% at 4800 miles and coincidentally about 6 months. Mine is a DD about 9k a year.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I changed mine at ~2K miles, following a 1500 mile drive home from taking delivery in the Seattle area. IIRC, the computer estimated ~60% oil life remaining. (I changed the oil simply because I wanted to get switchover to Amsoil or Mobil 1 lubricants ASAP.)

USV8PWR

Established Member
I changed the factory fill at 200 miles, then did another oil change at 2,000 miles. Next I plan to change the oil at 5,000 miles and then once a year (every 5,000 miles after that). I plan to keep the car for a very long time and oil changes are cheap and easy to do.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
You'll find more agreement on religion and politics than oil change intervals and break-in techniques.

I always do a 500 mile initial change for peace of mind.

True .. :lol::lol:

Crowley

440sprint

Established Member
My oil started to turn dark so I had my first change at 750 miles. My second change was at the recommended 6 mo. (2800mi). Unless the oil color becomes darker than I like, I will change as recommended EVERY 6 mo.! I'll never drive over 500 mi/mo.

huggytree

Established Member
I always change mine on a new car at 1,000 miles (to get all the metal flakes out) then I proceed to beat on the car

I change it again at 2500 and at 5,000....then I go to 5,000 intervals

with my performance cars I only drive them 2,000-2500 a year, so I just change them before I put them in storage

Myfast70

Established Member
My first (and only change so far) was at 1000 miles and about 1.5 months after purchase. I plan to do it in six month intervals. I forgot to reset at the first change and it came up to change at the 1400 mile mark. I will never meet the mileage requirement (2000-2500/yr max).

Users who are viewing this thread