Oil capacity?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
What he said :lol:. 6 is what it takes. Don't overfill, and don't fill to the top of the dipstick. If you dont want to get a new dispstick, just fill it with six and mark the dipstick. ALL mod motors take six quarts, the 4.6, 5.4 and V10. All you're gonna do by adding the extra 3/4 quart is get it sucked back into your throttle body and onto your intercooler :eek:

Last edited:

a94cobra

Established Member
I added seven and have been 1500 miles now. No problems so far.

Cobra'03

Established Member
And you won't at 150k either....this thread is a bit of overkill...the Owner's Manual gives a spec, and clearly says that as long as the oil stays within the dipstick lines, all is well. What more can there need to be discussed? 7 quarts will not cause a problem, and gives a bit more cooling capacity. Next, next, next!

a94cobra

Established Member
I don't think that it is a dumb thread. I just can't believe that we all got the wrong dipstick. And I can't believe that one extra quart would hurt the engine. But, I never took into account that extra oil would add more cooling. I could see that as being valid. That is probably why they make bigger oil pans. Gee, learn sumpin new every day.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Blackcobra
I changed my oil (and oil filter) yesterday. The SVT supplemental manual that came with the car (in addition to the base manual) says 6.0 quarts with a new filter. However, my car took about 6.75... which made me nervous because I know too much oil is bad.... First I added five and half and checked... it was way too low, so then I went to six and checked... and it was still way too low, so then I went to six and a quarter... and it was low, so I went to six and half... and it was still not up on both sides of the dipstick, so I went to 6.75 and saw that it was more or less fine so I stopped there (a little freaked out). So the SVT Cobra supplement says 6.0 with a new filter, but I was cautious and got to 6.75 before feeling it was right.

Note this was regular 5W-20, not Mobil 1 or another synthetic if that would ever somehow matter in an alternative universe.
:lol: Got to 6.75 on mine too.:burnout:

f4sfed

Established Member
I remember seeing a full "range" on the dipstick. I changed mine, and it took 6 qts, to put it right in the middle of the full range.

4D THNDR

Established Member
If the book says 6 qts then put in 6 qts. The book is gospel. Are you going to tell the tech that they misprinted and you put in 6.5-7 qts to fix their mistake? Not likely. You will be trying to push the blame on the wrong party. The "L"s also take 6 and they also end up between the "low" and "full" marks. 6 is the correct amount, more doesn't cool the engine if it's foaming, quite the opposite.

Cobra'03

Established Member
At the top of the line, it isn't foaming at all. This is getting tedious - do you think Ford would put a top fill at a point where it would cause engine damage? Makes zero sense to me.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
6.5 with filter....

1) How much oil was drained?
2) What size and brand of oil filter?
3) How much oil sitting up in the heads?
4) How long did you let the new oil drain out of the bottles into the engine?
24 quarts will gravity drain a full quart if left for 24 hours.
5) How long you waited to check the "stick" after shutting off the engine?

MANY, MANY things will take up .75 of a quart of oil. Book said 6, I put in 6.5. I let it sit for 15 minutes and sticked it. I added until I was just below the max.

And I think I read someone said too much is not a bad thing?
Don't try it, please...

Mac...

Jfgarcia1

Banned
Well, it depends if you are also changing the oil filter:lol:
6 qts without changing the filter and very close to 7 with the
oil filter change. When I changed the oil on my 03 Cobra, I also
changed the oil filter and it took all 7 quarts. It was to the brim
but right up to the Max line. Not past it but just before it:beer:

I hope this answers your question:thumbsup:

Supercharged ;-)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
At the top of the line, it isn't foaming at all. This is getting tedious - do you think Ford would put a top fill at a point where it would cause engine damage? Makes zero sense to me.
On a slightly different note...Do you have an opinion on octane booster? Like 104+? Is it worth a crap?

4D THNDR

Established Member

On the other side of the coin, do you think they would advise underfilling it? They advise dead on where they want it, 6 qts. Like I said if a problem arises are you gonna tell them you put more in than they advised, what they advised, or less than they advised? Just live up to what you choose.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I never recommended overfilling. And the manual says anywhere between the lines is OK - I would not, and have not, recommended underfilling. They do say if it is in the middle of the lines, not to add, but this is very likely to ensure that a "dummy" does not just throw in a quart and end up way over the line which (god i hope) we at least can all agree is not a good thing.

A variation of half a quart is not going to make any big deal, so why does this thread go on and on?

34 posts and still going strong....:??: :bored: :sleeping:

Last edited:

4D THNDR

Established Member

34 posts and still going strong....:??: :bored: :sleeping:

Was 33 'til you felt it had to be dragged further.

Thanks Mac03Cobra. The second is my favorite, 6-8' away @ 145.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 4D THNDR
Was 33 'til you felt it had to be dragged further.
:lol:

Thanks Mac03Cobra. The second is my favorite, 6-8' away @ 145.
:thumbsup: I was wondering how fast that was! Those are some cool vids!

Users who are viewing this thread