Oil Analysis on my '12 GT

CCS86

Established Member
Here's the analysis report from my 2012 GT. The dealer gave my a free oil change, so I had them do it at 1000mi, then I put about 3800mi on the oil before dumping it and running the analysis. It is now filled with Amsoil Signature 5w-20.

OilAnalysis1.jpg

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
Well it's too early to see any trends. Are you planning on going with extended drains with the Amsoil. If not it's a waste of your hard earned cash. If you plan on going with the oem specified interval I suggest pennzoil ultra or pennzoil platinum. Both are top quality and a bit cheaper than Amsoil unless of course your a preferred customer.
I've read that Amsoil is prepared to back any Amsoil user that gets denied warantee using their maintenance plan. So if you are planning extended drains maybe contact Amsoil and see if they will cover you.
Of course you have to use their filters but they are pretty much the best out there. Wix makes them,as well as napa's house brand filters believe it or not.

CCS86

Established Member
I'm a preferred customer; run it in all my toys. I'm definitely never going past 10k, but I'd feel better about pushing the interval out with an oil I trust. I just wanted to make sure she's breaking in okay.

grnenvy

Established Member
Thats pretty cool but do u really think u will keep the car when it has 200,000 miles on it?
I'm not sold on special oils there all good today. Oil is so much better then in the 60s and those cars lasted 100k. IMOP if your using convential oil change it every 5k and synthetics every 8-10k. Nothing more nothing less. Keep it simple.

bmitchell373

Established Member
It all depends on use, With the Amsoil send in a sample at 5k and they will tell you how much the oil has degraded and if its still usable or not. That's what I intend to do, Only about 2k on my first Amsoil Oil Change.

CCS86

Established Member
Thats pretty cool but do u really think u will keep the car when it has 200,000 miles on it?
I'm not sold on special oils there all good today. Oil is so much better then in the 60s and those cars lasted 100k. IMOP if your using convential oil change it every 5k and synthetics every 8-10k. Nothing more nothing less. Keep it simple.

That's fine, I'm not trying to sell you on anything, and you're welcome to your own opinion. It doesn't sound like it's based on a solid understanding of oils and machine demands though. You may be content to "keep it simple" by listening to marketing claims, what your buddy said, and the fact that your engine hasn't grenaded after running the oil you chose; but the reality is that it's much more complicated than that.

Oil is much improved since the 60's. Likewise, engines place FAR higher demands on an oil. For one, the standard drain interval used to be 3000mi vs 10,000mi. Back then you did not have engines turning 7000 rpm, running 11:1 compression, making over 80 HP / L, very tight tolerances, overhead valvetrains etc.

I have run Amsoil for years in my race bikes and have observed far better component longevity than fellow racers on the same equipment. I was tossing that Amsoil out after less than 1000 mi of hard use, so running a top-tier oil in my car for up to 10K+mi and sees road course runs every so often is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread