Oi leak...help!

bigbadfox

Established Member
Hey Fellas,

I have a 2007 GT500 that I have an oil leak on. I cleaned up the whole bottom of the car with brake cleaner and I have have it narrowned down to a leak at the back of the oil pan / bellhousing. I can see a clean path down the bellhousing plate on oil pan side. There also seems to be a path on the lowest most front part of the bellhousing (looks to be the same leak) but I seperated the bellhousing plate just enough to peek in there and it looks dry.

Here's the million dollar question, how can I tell if it's the oil pan gasket or the rear main? My intuition tells me the oil pan gasket but it's really going to suck to do that if it turns out to be the rear main. I don't want to do even one of these jobs in cold weather, let alone

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you give the bolts on the oil pan gasket a good torquing?
I'd start there. Check the torque specs and tighten up the bolts.

Harry08

Established Member
From below were you able to see the upper part of the bell housing below the intake/valve covers incase the leak is starting there and creeping down the edge of the flex plate? I seen a GT500 with replaced valve covers and the covers were not torqued to spec and leaked at the rear of the covers.

bigbadfox

Established Member
All my oil pan bolts were tight. I did however have one slightly loose bolt at the back of the passenger valve cover. I let it run for 15 minutes and I'll check again in a day or so.

Harry08

Established Member
The torque values on the valve covers are rather low. I don't remember off the top of my head what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread