Oh ya, I'm buying one...

SirJAG

Established Member
Was just able to test drive the new mustang. It was a GT trackpack/nav/MT/50th.

The interior is much improved, and I really liked the ride quality. Lightyears ahead of my 12 GT/CS.

The shifter is much much better stock than previously. I made several full throttle starts up through 4th then letting off. I had no gear grind at all, but did feel a slight nibble going into 2nd around 6800rpm. I had zero wheel hop as well which was a plus! I made sure and drive some country roads behind my house that I am limited to around 30mph on my current car because of the shitty quality. The new mustang was able to ride the same road at 50mph with no issue. Completely blew my mind.

My only concerns at this point are the following:

Can AED tune this bad boy yet? (The throttle lag compared to my 12 tuned AED is horrible) AED not doing anything with tuning this car in 2014

Are there lowering springs available yet? (the back is perfect height but the front is silly tall, almost a tad taller than the back even. I am sure thats not really the case but it appears to be.) yes steeda

Needs exhaust, bad. (And I only have gt500 with no resonators now)

Does Ford Applink come on this years MyFordTouch?? (Any pandora listeners know what I am talking about. Without applink you cannot control pandora on the touch screen; thumb up/down.) DOES NOT WORK

The 3.73's are still stupid shifty, I really want 3.55's but can I do that this year from the factory? Or will I have to purchase some gears? Ford website wont let you swap gears when TP is selected. Cannot order TP with 3.55

Can I remove the spring assist on this years clutch like I did on my 12? YES

Overall very impressed, I could not notice the extra 150 ish pounds either. Found a local dealer too who will let me purchase invoice minus 1/2 holdback. So I am looking at 37K for the car I want (TP,Nav).

If anyone can answer some of these questions that would be great. If not as I get answers I will update the thread.

JAG

EDIT: ooooohhhhhhh there is one thing I forgot to add

HAS EXACT SAME TICK MY 12 HAS HAD SINCE 89 MILES!!!!!!!! Damn it! However, I listened to 3 GT's and only the one I drove made the sounds. So looks like it is going to be hit or miss like the 11-14s.

Last edited:

Dcrypter

Established Member
Can AED tune this bad boy yet? (The throttle lag compared to my 12 tuned AED is horrible)

Are there lowering springs available yet? (the back is perfect height but the front is silly tall, almost a tad taller than the back even. I am sure thats not really the case but it appears to be.)

Needs exhaust, bad. (And I only have gt500 with no resonators now)

Does Ford Applink come on this years MyFordTouch?? (Any pandora listeners know what I am talking about. Without applink you cannot control pandora on the touch screen; thumb up/down.)

The 3.73's are still stupid shifty, I really want 3.55's but can I do that this year from the factory? Or will I have to purchase some gears? Ford website wont let you swap gears when TP is selected.

Can I remove the spring assist on this years clutch like I did on my 12?

Overall very impressed, I could not notice the extra 150 ish pounds either. Found a local dealer too who will let me purchase invoice minus 1/2 holdback. So I am looking at 37K for the car I want (TP,Nav).

If anyone can answer some of these questions that would be great. If not as I get answers I will update the thread.

JAG

EDIT: ooooohhhhhhh there is one thing I forgot to add

HAS EXACT SAME TICK MY 12 HAS HAD SINCE 89 MILES!!!!!!!! Damn it! However, I listened to 3 GT's and only the one I drove made the sounds. So looks like it is going to be hit or miss like the 11-14s.

1. You can get some tunes already although i'm not sure about AED specifically. Lund is already selling certain tunes so they are available.
2. Steeda has sport springs available right now that lower overall ride height about 1"
3. There are a couple people out with exhausts already, Stainless Works being one of the more popular options available atm
4. From the description on my vehicle summary page "*SYNC AppLink is not compatible with MyFord Touch."
5. You will not be able to get PP with 3.55 from the factory. You can however have the dealer install the 3.55's when it's delivered to you but at additional cost of course.
6. I have no idea about the spring assist.

*edit because I can't spell

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
I own one and suggest you wait a few months for a tune etc. Right now ford has the car sandbagged but the tuners will figure it out soon but let them perfect it with their own cars :) I say the shifter is total garbage and the exhaust is not far behind.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I own one and suggest you wait a few months for a tune etc. Right now ford has the car sandbagged but the tuners will figure it out soon but let them perfect it with their own cars :) I say the shifter is total garbage and the exhaust is not far behind.

I'd definitely ditch the stock exhaust. As for the shifter, wait until you see the MGW one.

nycarpenter

Established Member
I'd definitely ditch the stock exhaust. As for the shifter, wait until you see the MGW one.

Ford stated they upgraded the shifter but I can tell you first hand its no better then the oem one in my 14. MGW tells me they are a month out and yes that's what will make its way into my car :)...

SirJAG

Established Member
Well the one I drove shifted much better than my stock 12 shifter. Which grinded second and third and had numerous lockouts. Didn't experience anything like that on my test drive. And that was with a dozen full throttle shifts at redline. Could never have done that with my stick 12.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ford stated they upgraded the shifter but I can tell you first hand its no better then the oem one in my 14. MGW tells me they are a month out and yes that's what will make its way into my car :)...

First time I have heard this, seems like everyone thinks it's a solid improvement.

nycarpenter

Established Member
First time I have heard this, seems like everyone thinks it's a solid improvement.

If MGW had one it would already be in my car and I'm from the school of it works don't change it. Solid improvement to the pile of crap that was in my 14 is still not a keeper in my book but everyone has their opinion and this is just my observation after driving my car for the past 5 days. Not grinding gears as SirJag states he did on his 12 but I was not doing this with my 14 either. The shifter feels cheap and rubbery and does not give you that nice positive shift. Again some may love it but I'm not a fan...

SirJAG

Established Member
Here is invoice sheet if anyone is interested....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414179885.926467.jpg

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Tuner's are hard at work on these things at the moment. I know ours is undergoing some awesome changes which I will be posting about soon. We have our second 15 coming in shortly as well that will be going a different route.

Barton is already working on a new shifter and will have a couple different options. I cannot wait to see what they are doing!!! hehe

For exhaust, Stainlessworks, Kooks, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Gibson, and FRPP are all ready and will be if not shipping already

My suggestion on the gear is get the set up because labor will be a lot more with the IRS and everything being attached.

Dcrypter

Established Member
Tuner's are hard at work on these things at the moment. I know ours is undergoing some awesome changes which I will be posting about soon. We have our second 15 coming in shortly as well that will be going a different route.

Barton is already working on a new shifter and will have a couple different options. I cannot wait to see what they are doing!!! hehe

For exhaust, Stainlessworks, Kooks, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Gibson, and FRPP are all ready and will be if not shipping already

My suggestion on the gear is get the set up because labor will be a lot more with the IRS and everything being attached.

Finally someone says the name i've been looking for. Did no one else have the Barton short throw? I absolutely loved it in my '12.

I am waiting on Bartons shifter and Blowfish Racings shifter support bracket/DS loop.

KINGPINracing

Established Member
Good input. You're one of the first 11-14 owners I've seen say unequivocally that they'd swap to the new car. Good luck in locking down one. : )

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

The 14 shifter is better than the 2011-14 cars, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread