Offroad pipe exhaust leak or just engine noise?

merkyworks

Established Member
Got my Lethal offroad X-pipe (stainless steel 3 piece version) installed over the weekend and I'm not sure if I have an exhaust leak or if I'm just hearing engine noise echoing in the X-pipe. I fired the car up right after installing and couldn't feel any leaks with my hand but maybe I was wrong, read about using baby powder to help find exhaust leaks so maybe I'll try that when I get home from work today.
Car has stock manifold and stock axle back/mufflers, when idling in garage I can hear a ticking and when I start to accelerate in 1st gear I hear a ticking till about 1800-2000 rpms but then the ticking goes away. The ticking seems to be more noticeable when the car is cold Vs when it is fully warmed up and doesn't seems to increase in speed as I rev the engine which makes me think its not an exhaust leak. Am I just being paranoid about this noise?

In no way is this meant to bash Lethal X-pipe at all so pleas do not take it this way. I want to say the fit and finish of the product is great and if this is anything I'm sure it was user install error related.

SirShaun

Established Member
I wouldn't be too concerned. New exhaust has to burn in. It will probably change sounds on you slightly as you put on some miles.

It's probably a slight leak, and your just waiting for the carbon to fill it in. I'd drive it for a bit, see if it clears itself up and in 2-3 weeks time, try to tighten everything again. Or just whenever your under the car again.

Users who are viewing this thread