Officially an Unemployment Rat

starnsey

Established Member
Got laid off today after surviving two rounds last year. Was brutal watching coworkers and friends drop like flies wondering if I was going to be next. Then, towards the end my manager took me to the gallows! Pretty sure 50% of my building (all engineering) has been laid off between today and the beginning of December.

Luckily my wife is an engineer as well in a different industry and we got our emergency fund built up after being here in Houston for a year so we'll be fine. I just hate job searching/interviewing, especially under duress. But I'm probably much better off than other people in a similar situation so I can't complain too much. Probably gonna do some drinking today, house work this weekend, then hit the ground running Monday on the job search.

So to everyone else in the oil & gas industry: good luck and stay on your toes because its mutha****in' brutal right now.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Sorry to hear it. I got laid off back in '08 when the recession was starting to crush everything. I went to my favorite restaurant, had a steak and several drinks. Life goes on. I decided to take a few months off to just get my head clear and it definitely turned out to be a good idea. I was able to do this without tapping any savings because I had been there a long time and got a big severance.

selbyvince

Established Member
Im still in as of now, but waiting for my turn as well. Good luck with the search, im keeping my eyes peeled as well in case i get put in the same situation. Im an offshore i&e on the production/maintenance side. I feel like we will be here unless they just quit flowing, but with oil touching in the $20s a barrel, im sure we cant be too far off.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
At my job we had a bunch of layoffs yesterday. Sucks for all these guys.

starnsey

Established Member
Sorry to hear, good luck finding a new job.

Thanks. My connections are much more vast now than they were a year and a half ago when I started here so hopefully it won't take too long.

Sorry to hear it. I got laid off back in '08 when the recession was starting to crush everything. I went to my favorite restaurant, had a steak and several drinks. Life goes on. I decided to take a few months off to just get my head clear and it definitely turned out to be a good idea. I was able to do this without tapping any savings because I had been there a long time and got a big severance.

Man, yeah I couldn't handle taking a few months off. Plus my severance is only like two weeks of pay taxed like a bonus. I just need a brief moment to let it all sink in then I'll be ready to go. Got plenty to do around the house without spending too much money. Just going to have to cut back on the eating/drinking out. We should be fine with my wife's job, just won't be able to save anything.

Im still in as of now, but waiting for my turn as well. Good luck with the search, im keeping my eyes peeled as well in case i get put in the same situation. Im an offshore i&e on the production/maintenance side. I feel like we will be here unless they just quit flowing, but with oil touching in the $20s a barrel, im sure we cant be too far off.

I gotcha. Yeah and the outlook is not getting better for anywhere near the foreseeable future. I was designing land-based top drives which is a pretty low volume product anyway. But I think this time around, it didn't matter who you were or what your product was - they were wiping out everyone indiscriminately. I guess once you've trimmed all of the fat you have no choice but to take out good people. It looked like they were just looking at who had been there the longest in each group and I was the most junior person.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder how the rest of the SVTP Oil and Gas members are doing.

Best of luck in finding the next job asap!

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm in O&G too. Money is super tight. I don't think there have been many layoffs so far, but they will be coming if the $$ per barrel stays where it is.

I am considering moving to financial services or the aviation industries. How long will oil prices stay low?

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Layoffs are always hard since you aren't leaving a company on your terms. I'll check with a friend of mine, her brother is an engineer in Houston and just started with a new company after getting back from Saudi. Maybe they are in need of others.

Use the weekend to reset and relax.

2001sleeper

Established Member
We had a layoff at the end of November and a few more people were not around after the Christmas holidays.
Not sure how the future looks, but I am in petrochemicals and a little more insulated.

starnsey

Established Member
Wow, that's kind of crappy. Good to see you'll be able to stay afloat.
Yeah. I should probably also say I'm on the side of O&G that doesn't make the big bucks - design and manufacturing. Just so some people don't think I'm out in the field making six figures like some of the people that have been let go.

big dad

Established Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, however remember, if you apply for and receive UC you will be a taker.

tangermean

Established Member
I'm on the exploration side of O&G. I have made it through 2 layoff's and we are down to a skeleton crew. (small satellite office to begin with) We had 27 this time last year and are down to I think 10 without counting.

Really sucks to come into an office wondering if it your last day. However if they let me go that is it in my area and probably it for the company. Our UK (Main Office) is supposed to be doing huge layoffs as we speak.

starnsey

Established Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, however remember, if you apply for and receive UC you will be a taker.

LOL whatever dude. I'm 27 and this is the first time I've been without a job in thirteen years. If you're in my position and don't accept what you're qualified for you're a moron. Its not abuse its a hold over. I'm not missing a mortgage payment just so I can boost my pride.

Last edited:

big dad

Established Member
LOL whatever dude. I'm 27 and this is the first time I've been without a job in thirteen years. If you're in my position and don't accept what you're qualified for you're a moron. Its not abuse its a hold over. I'm not missing a mortgage payment just so I can boost my pride.

I was just going to edit my post to read..... by some on SVTP you'll be a taker. Good luck getting back on your feet.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Sorry to hear that and for anyone going thru with this. Im out of the loop but whats the reason for the oil drums dropping this low?

Users who are viewing this thread