Official Terminator Diecast Thread

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Question if I have no painting experience how hard would this be to do if you are mechanically inclined? Let's say I find a coupe on eBay and want to attempt this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Question if I have no painting experience how hard would this be to do if you are mechanically inclined? Let's say I find a coupe on eBay and want to attempt this.

I don't think it's hard at all, but I have been painting for many years.

Doing it this way (taking it apart) just takes patience as there are obviously a lot of tiny parts. Other than that it will depend on the materials you use and the tools at your disposal.

Meaning; are you going to use rattle can or automotive paint? Once you choose your materials do you have the knowledge of the materials and the tools to use them?

Rattle can is easy, just shake and shoot. Automotive paint is more difficult, but the finished product is even better than the original finish. With automotive paint the materials are expensive. Then you have to "MIX" your materials (normally base coat needs a reducer and clear coat might need an activator and a reducer). Once you mix your materials you have to spray it and then let it "flash" before your next coat. The same holds true for your clear coat.

Also, with rattle can you already have a source of compressed air. With automotive paint you either need an airbrush and mini compressor or you can use a paint gun and air compressor.

I have both an air brush and paint guns. With this project I used my small paint gun and air compressor to apply the automotive base coat and then clear coat.

Lastly, the decals. I have purchased decal paper from eBay. Then I use PowerPoint (PP) to make my decals. I either go online and download images to use or I create them in PP. Then I use a laser jet printer to print my images onto the decal paper.

So, my process goes like this:
  1. Take car apart and bag parts
  2. Chemically strip metal parts
  3. Sand plastic parts
  4. Tape up areas to protect (i.e. plastic window, third brake light, chin spoiler, etc.)
  5. Shoot rattle can primer
  6. Shoot automotive base coat (I normally use Nasson or NAPA because of lower pricing)
  7. Create decals
  8. Apply decals
  9. Shoot automotive clear coat (I normally use House of Kolor because it is durable and shines like crazy)
  10. Fix any imperfections (i.e. minor runs get sanded out and then paint is polished)
  11. Reassemble car
There are a lot of steps involved and depending on the paint and materials you use will determine the expense and outcome of the final product. However, if you're mechanically inclined and you have the right tools it is very doable.

I enjoy doing this as a hobby. It is stress relief and when it's done you have something unique and knowing you created it can be rewarding. Then if someone is willing to buy it that makes it just that much more rewarding.

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
If you are looking for a real OEM look poorly paint the rocker panels and under the hood. Try to make it look like orange peel too!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
If you are looking for a real OEM look poorly paint the rocker panels and under the hood. Try to make it look like orange peel too!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
This. I know a guy that sent a brand new '13 GT500 to the body shop due to OEM robot paint. Orange peel city.. It was stripped to the bone & received a real paint job, from a real person/painter.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
LOL, sorry, rocker panels and under hood have been done "MY" way. So, paint is good coverage and under hood is clear coated. Oh and I clear coat the crap out of it, so no orange peel. It's pretty smooth.....

Pictures really do not capture how good the clear came out (if I do say so myself LOL)...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay did a little more reassembly.

CO Clear j.JPG

CO Clear i.JPG
CO Clear L.JPG
CO Clear M.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm especially happy about the way the heat exchanger came out. I could not stop looking at it last night. looks even better in person.

I think Cool Cobra will be very happy with this creation.

cj428mach

Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bodys on the coupes are completely strippable, the windows, hood vents, grille, lights, etc will call come out down to just a shell so masking really isn't an issue.

If you want to do the rear bumper letters in black just get a razor tip black sharpie and color in the COBRA letters. It works great.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If you want to do the rear bumper letters in black just get a razor tip black sharpie and color in the COBRA letters. It works great.

I have another idea that I seen them do on the brake calipers in an episode of Overhaulin. I'll try it first on a test car and then let you guys know how it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread