Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

cobraboss

Established Member
In post #105 I believe it says if you are on E85 then you need RD30. Now my next question is VI Improvers. I was told back in the 90's when I became a dealer that big of a spread was more VI Improvers than lubricate, is that still the norm.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In post #105 I believe it says if you are on E85 then you need RD30. Now my next question is VI Improvers. I was told back in the 90's when I became a dealer that big of a spread was more VI Improvers than lubricate, is that still the norm.

E85 doesn't force the use of Dominator 10W-30. Your car being used for HPDE events, you need more viscosity.

Better group IV and V base oils have superior cold flow characteristics. Therefore, less VI and why Amsoil lubricants shear less than the competition. However, a cheap 5W-50 will have a lot of VI, where as Amsoil 5W-50 will have less.

jsip

So horsepower Many torque
Established Member
I use Amsoil SS 5w30 in my Track Pack '14 since its first oil change with zero issues. She's a fair weather only car that sees maybe 3.5k per year with minimal beating on it. I pretty much never exceed 5k unless I absolutely need to or unless someone wants to play, which is rare. CAI, Catback, tune, MGW, suspension are pretty much it for now. I make a few test pulls to see any differences with each modification but that's about it. Once I understand how the changes have affected its drivability, shifting, etc - no need for me to keep beating on her. I've been in cars and bikes for 20 years so I don't feel the need to constantly beat on a car if I already know what it will do. If I track the car I will be switching to 5w50 for the day but all else I am happy with how the oil performs for spirited driving and the occasional WOT.

For the record, my mower and snow blower also use Amsoil SS ;)

EDIT:
Beast, I noticed you mentioned 5w50 for the Track Packs - I'm not sure I need that much if I'm not tracking the car - would you recommend the switch or keep with 5w30?

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
Troy, Got a new UOA coming before long. Changed oil out today.

14,085 miles on this sample of Sig Series 10w30.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast, I noticed you mentioned 5w50 for the Track Packs - I'm not sure I need that much if I'm not tracking the car - would you recommend the switch or keep with 5w30?

If you are closed course tracking this car in extreme heat, driving at near redline like a pro.....yes, absolutely. However, for street use, compromise for Amsoil's new AZF 0W-40. It was formulated for the new Hellcat and Nissan GTR.

Troy, Got a new UOA coming before long. Changed oil out today.

14,085 miles on this sample of Sig Series 10w30.

Anxious to see this one. Get it right over to me please.

The excel spreadsheet needs updated. It's outdated

I agree, and 100% my fault sir. PM me please, I will give you my personal contact info. I want you to message me this weekend and say UPDATE IT!!!! :)

Last edited:

Homer Martinez

Established Member
Unleashedbeast, I have a question. So my car is currently getting some work done to it. I am doing the cobra jet manifold and stage 3 comp cams. Ill mostly be using this car street/strip. Now that this is going to have the redline raised, do you still recommend 10w-30 if not could you let me know what you recommend for my application?

JDos1

Established Member
Troy,
New UOA in. Everything looks fine as always. Will continue with 14k mile change intervals. 1.75 qt of make up oil used during this UOA.

Car is at 95k miles now.

UOA%20SVTP_zpszj8mdxpx.jpg

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thank you sir! Your engine is doing great on this formulation, despite the 10K+ oil change intervals. Props to you sir.

Received more UOA's, will be updating the chart soon. Added the current recommendation list to post #1 for easy reference.

Last edited:

rhite95

Established Member
UnleashedBeast,

I have a 14 Roush stage 3 (stock for now) the car has 1,300 mile on and is still on factory fill. What oil should I go with? The car is about 1 year old.

In about 6 months I am going to do a tune, smaller pulley, 170 t-stat, LT headers and a catted x-pipe. I am hoping for 600 rwhp. What oil should I go with at this stage? The car is not a daily driver and I take to the 1/4 mile 3 times a year.

Thanks !!

Last edited:

jp1seattle

Established Member
I used 0W-40 for my street driven Vortech car and have had good results. I think that's UB's recommendation for street driven turbo/SC cars.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UnleashedBeast,

I have a 14 Roush stage 3 (stock for now) the car has 1,300 mile on and is still on factory fill. What oil should I go with? The car is about 1 year old.

In about 6 months I am going to do a tune, smaller pulley, 170 t-stat, LT headers and a catted x-pipe. I am hoping for 600 rwhp. What oil should I go with at this stage? The car is not a daily driver and I take to the 1/4 mile 3 times a year.

Thanks !!

Amsoil AZF 0W-40 is your starting point.

I used 0W-40 for my street driven Vortech car and have had good results. I think that's UB's recommendation for street driven turbo/SC cars.

Bingo!

Landmonster

Established Member
Beast,

I am new to the Coyote world. I just bought a 2014 Mustang GT, manual-6, with no mods, and 10,700 miles!

Per the Carfax report, the oil was changed once at the Ford dealer at 10,200 miles. I assume they used Motorcraft oil, but I have no idea. Now, the oil may have been changed somewhere between 0 and 10,200 miles, but I have no evidence of that. The only record I have is that it was chanced once at 10,200 a few months ago, and I know that it hasn't been changed since.

I live in Central Texas, where it's very hot most of the year. The car has no mods, but I will do bolt on mods over time, such as intake, exhaust, tune, suspension, etc.
I daily drive about 30 minutes to work, and 20 minutes of that commute is freeway. I drive like a grandma most of the time, with occasional blasts.

Questions:
1) Do you truly believe that Amsoil is a superior oil vs. other name brands? Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc?
2) Do stand by your Amsoil 5W-20 recommendation for a car like mine? Is this the "best" recommendation for a stock GT, or just the simplest? I ask because I'd prefer to buy oil in bulk to save money, especially if I get Amsoil. Also, I do live in a hot climate, and eventually plan to add bolt ons.
3) What kind of oil change methodology would you recommend to my car at 10,700 miles? I had considered changing it now, and then again at 15,000, considering I had no idea what was in it before.
4) Are there any other maintenance items I should take care of besides an oil change before I start driving the car harder? Fuel filters, other fluids or filters, or stuff I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

Last edited:

Beernuts

Established Member
Here's my latest with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and Motorcraft oil filter.

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
Years of back and forth and all kinds of hating on Ford from everyone on multiple forums for recommending 5w20 and what do ya know? Eventually the recommendation from the community comes back to 5w20! You can't go wrong with what Ford puts in the owners manual! Stop thinking so much everyone!

Do appreciate the thread though, UnleashedBeast. Much good info in here, been following on and off but haven't read the entire thread.

Landmonster

Established Member
Beast,

I am new to the Coyote world. I just bought a 2014 Mustang GT, manual-6, with no mods, and 10,700 miles!

Per the Carfax report, the oil was changed once at the Ford dealer at 10,200 miles. I assume they used Motorcraft oil, but I have no idea. Now, the oil may have been changed somewhere between 0 and 10,200 miles, but I have no evidence of that. The only record I have is that it was chanced once at 10,200 a few months ago, and I know that it hasn't been changed since.

I live in Central Texas, where it's very hot most of the year. The car has no mods, but I will do bolt on mods over time, such as intake, exhaust, tune, suspension, etc.
I daily drive about 30 minutes to work, and 20 minutes of that commute is freeway. I drive like a grandma most of the time, with occasional blasts.

Questions:
1) Do you truly believe that Amsoil is a superior oil vs. other name brands? Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc?
2) Do stand by your Amsoil 5W-20 recommendation for a car like mine? Is this the "best" recommendation for a stock GT, or just the simplest? I ask because I'd prefer to buy oil in bulk to save money, especially if I get Amsoil. Also, I do live in a hot climate, and eventually plan to add bolt ons.
3) What kind of oil change methodology would you recommend to my car at 10,700 miles? I had considered changing it now, and then again at 15,000, considering I had no idea what was in it before.
4) Are there any other maintenance items I should take care of besides an oil change before I start driving the car harder? Fuel filters, other fluids or filters, or stuff I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

Bump?

Users who are viewing this thread