EditorTurner

Established Member
White_Raptor_185.jpg

Lighter and Faster
The 2017 F-150 Raptor is more powerful and more efficient than its predecessor
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

Ford Performance has long been promising that the new version of the F-150 Raptor would outperform its predecessor thanks to reduced weight and an efficient EcoBoost engine. Well, the official ratings are in and it looks like the engineers have delivered on that promise.

“Raptor was designed to be a no-compromise, off-road performance machine,” said Matt Tranter, Ford Performance engineering supervisor. “That is why we made the switch from the cast-iron V8 to the aluminum block, high-output GTDI V6 EcoBoost engine that our team tuned to add 39 horsepower and 76 lb.-ft. of torque for today’s Raptor.”

The forthcoming Raptor ’s EcoBoost 3.5-liter engine produces 450 horsepower and an earth-moving 510 lb-ft of torque across its broad powerband. It does so thanks to a dual fuel system employing direct-port and port fuel injection to fuel the boost created by an improved twin-turbo system with an electronic wastegate and a variable-displacement oil pump. The turbos are mated to cast stainless steel manifolds and a full dual exhaust.

You can see that performance in action right here…

[video=youtube;QEFlQSCLEIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFlQSCLEIo[/video]

“Looking at the torque curve of the Raptor’s EcoBoost engine, you see the twin turbos spool quicker for faster time to torque—it hammers quick and keeps delivering torque for a more brawny feel than its V8 predecessor,” Al Cockerill, Raptor’s powertrain development engineer, said.

Besides the improved EcoBoost engine, the new Raptor is 500 pounds lighter thanks to its aluminum alloy body and a high-strength steel frame. Moreover, its new 10-speed transmission helps efficiency with closer ratios between gears. It also shaves weight as it is the first to used advance alloys in lieu of cast iron.

All told this makes for a truck that performs better with a 21 percent improvement in average torque-to-weight ratio. It is also a lot more efficient, as EPA-rated combined fuel economy is 23 percent better than the last-gen Raptor.

Of course, there is plenty of tech on board to help efficiency and performance. The new truck uses Auto Stop-Start to help the mileage, while its adaptive shift algorithms and six Terrain Management System modes—normal, sport, weather, mud/sand, rock/crawl and Baja—driving modes help put the power down.

“The torque-on-demand transfer case and six-mode Terrain Management System is unique to Raptor in the Ford family of vehicles,” Matt said. “It gives you the benefit of a clutched all-wheel-drive system for easy around-town maneuverability in bad weather. Then, there’s Baja Mode, which automatically engages a mechanically locked 4X4 high, and optimizes throttle response, shifting and boost control to provide improved off-road capability. That’s definitely drawing a line in the sand.”

The new truck will be available late this year and the manufacturer’s suggested retail will clock in at under $50,000.

White-Raptor.jpg

The new 2017 F-150 Raptor is officially rated at 450 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque. Better yet, its 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine and 10-speed transmission combine to deliver 15 mpg city, 18 mpg highway and 16 mpg combined.

bpmurr

Established Member
Makes you forget it's a V6 with that kind of power.

Bad Company

Established Member
That much power out of a boosted engine makes me wonder if it will be strictly limited to using premium fuel. Yes it will get 23% better fuel mileage, but the fuel will cost 35% more to purchase.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That much power out of a boosted engine makes me wonder if it will be strictly limited to using premium fuel. Yes it will get 23% better fuel mileage, but the fuel will cost 35% more to purchase.
It will require premium.

Zemedici

Established Member

afaik any FI motor requires premium fuel....

Bad Company

Established Member
It will require premium.
I was certain it would with that much power and torque out of the 3.5L

afaik any FI motor requires premium fuel....
The current Raptor doesn't require premium fuel. I've owned a 2010 and currently a 2014 both run on regular without any signs of spark knock or fuel mileage differences. Ford doesn't require 91 or higher octane and says in the owners manual that 87 octane is fine, but you give up 10Hp. The 2010 I installed Stainless Works complete LTH and dual exhaust with an X-pipe to try to increase fuel mileage. The power went up with this mod, but the fuel mileage didn't change one bit. I drive a lot of miles, my 2014 has 70K miles on it in 31 months of ownership. To increase the fuel mileage is nice, but when the fuel costs go up 35% versus the fuel mileage increase by 23%, the new truck is going to cost me more per year to drive the same miles per year.

The OEMs have been asking the feds to raise the octane level requirements on gasoline to meet the new Obama CAFE mandates in the near future. Otherwise they are saying that with a premium 91 octane fuel that they'll never be able to meet CAFE mandates in a few years. From what I've read the OEMs want a 95-98 octane fuel in the not too distant future. Yes the cars will get better mileage, but the costs of driving those miles will go up. Again government regulation striving for one thing, only creates another headache that costs the populace in the long run.

If you haven't noticed most new cars whether they're a cheap Honda or a MB luxury car are now requiring premium fuel. The reason is the same for this Raptor. Try to down size the engine for fuel mileage, yet keep the same performance or increase it. In the area I live premium fuel costs an additional $0.70 a gallon over regular. That is an expensive up charge on the grade of fuel, when regular is floating around $2 a gallon at the moment.

Bad Company

Established Member
The 14 isn't FI...
Yes all 2010-2014 Raptors are fuel injected. They don't require premium fuel to drive them without fear of engine damage from detonation.

If you are worried about fuel costs and mileage, you should probably not get a Raptor......
I have owned a 2010 6.2L Raptor and currently own a 2014 Raptor, in city driving they both averaged roughly 8-9 mpg. On the highway I couldn't get them to average more than 14.5 mpg, but I have a tendency to drive faster than the average Joe. I've accumulated over 150,000 miles between the 2 of them in the last 5.5 years. My lifetime average for both of them is around 13.4 mpg. Fuel mileage really isn't a concern to me or I wouldn't have bought the 2014. But I get aggravated when Ford clearly states the truck is going to get 23% better fuel mileage, while the costs of the the higher grade fuel requirements aren't factored in to the life costs of owning the vehicle. To me that is a misleading statement of the ownership costs accumulated over time to any new potential owners thinking they're going to get much better fuel mileage, when compared to the old Raptor. They read the articles and advertisements stating it gets 23% better fuel mileage compared to the old Raptor. But aren't told the fuel costs 35% more per gallon to drive it without fear of detonating the engine to death under full boost. I will buy a new Raptor in 2019 to replace the 2014 I currently own. I've had many different pick-up trucks in my life time, these are by far the best handling and riding you can buy in my opinion.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe Josh meant FI= forced induction.

I know they don't have carburetors.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wonder if the computer auto adjusts for higher octane and gives you a little more power....
They usually rate on the highest octane and the computers will back off a bit with lower octane fuels.

Users who are viewing this thread