Off-Road Testing a 2020 Ford F-250 Tremor | Coastal Carolina Sand-Pit | Full Review

Off-Road Testing a 2020 Ford F-250 Tremor | Coastal Carolina Sand-Pit | Full Review

2020_Tremor_Press_050.jpg

Few trucks have garnered more attention than the 2020+ Tremor Super Duty. Its combination of styling and capability is the thing of which truck-lovers dream. Then you have to take into account the two exceptional powertrain options available on the Tremor. The 3rd Gen 6.7L Powerstroke diesel is a turbocharged steel-piston’ed beast, while the 7.3L Godzilla V8 has curb-stomped all other gasoline fired competition. We’ve covered different aspects of the Tremor several times over the past year, but recently we had the opportunity to test one in its natural environment – Off-Road.

By now, I’m sure you guys are familiar with the features that make the Tremor package a bit step above the common FX4 Off Road package. The Super Duty Tremor features:

· Wrangler Duratrac 35-inch off-road tires
· Upgraded springs and twin-tube dampers with internal hydraulic rebound to better control body motion
· A two-inch lift front and rear
· Front Dana limited-slip differential
· Locking rear differential with shift-on-the-fly engagement
· Skid plates to protect the transfer case and gas tank
· Shorter overhangs to improve the approach angle
· Extended-axle vent tubes
· A unique “rock crawl” driving mode with a 53:1 (gas) or 44:1 (diesel) crawl ratio

The Tremor package is a testament to the adage of the sum of the components being greater than any single feature. While each individual part taken alone is not ground breaking, their combination creates a truck that uncompromisingly handles both big truck on-road and off-road duties like nothing else on the market (what’s the payload rating of a Power Wagon again)?

2020_Tremor_Press_022.jpg

This one isn't my favorite color, Ford "Work Truck" (Oxford) White, but even with the pearl it's pretty close.

Our particular test truck was equipped with the 430HP & 475TQ 7.3L pushrod Godzilla V8. We’ve been a fan of that engine since we first broke the news of its existence a couple years back. It’s a great engine, and if you are tiered of the endless money-pit that is ‘recreational’ diesel ownership the 7.3L is the engine for you. Besides the ‘Zilla, our test Tremor was not a super heavily equipped truck. The one option it featured that really stood out to me was the stowable loading ramps. While they aren’t something I would use in my everyday activities, I could see them being quit handy for anyone with a quad or dirt bike. The manner in which they attach to a groove in the bed makes them far safer (re: less likely to fall off) than anything I used back in my riding days.

2020_Tremor_Press_028.jpg

A split bench seat is not a common sight in Ford press trucks, but I find it very functional.

Our testing environment was a simple one, a tight trail extremely loose sugar sand off of a quarry road. It’s the kind of place where speed helps and weight hurts. Exactly the kind of place where you’d want to run a 7,000 pound heavy duty truck (sarcasm emphasized). In the extremely fine and deep sugar sand we were dealing two things really come into play: light weight (and the ability to spread weight over a large contact patch), and preserving momentum. Going too slow in a heavy vehicle can easily result in it digging in and burying itself up to the axles. Though the aggressive tires along with a rear locker and front LSD will set us up for the best performance we could hope for.

2020_Tremor_Press_012.jpg

The Dana Super 60 front axle is a highly coveted and respected piece of off-road hardware.

With those factors in mind we set off down the trail. However, only a few hundred yards in we stumbled upon a waterhole of unknown depth and bottom condition. The area had received several inches of rain over the past few days so there was a chance this particular hole could be a bit treacherous. I had been down this particular trail a few times in the past and doubted the water would be much more than 2 feet deep, which is well within the Tremor’s fording capabilities. But the bottom conditions did concern me. If it was just wet sand, that’s not an issue. That produces a fairly hard driving surface. However, if some Caroling gumbo clay was hiding beneath the surface it would be a different case entirely. Being that I didn’t want to back all the way out the trail and probably scrap my only chance to test this particular Tremor off-road, I decided to just go for it.

2020_Tremor_Press_013.jpg

Have a quad or motorcycle you haul on the regular? Ford's optional bed-stowed ramps may be just what you're looking for. They are very grippy and quite heavy duty.

In this situation, carrying some momentum through the hole seemed to be the best option. So that’s what I tried, and everything went wonderfully…… until it didn’t. While the water depth and bottom were no problem for the Tremor, my right foot did uncover a weakness in its design. I went at the hole a bit too aggressively, pushing water over the hood. Normally, that wouldn’t be an issue. However, for the past few years Ford has designing their air intake with ever larger open scoops. While this is great for delivering a cool dense air charge into the engine, it does like it when you shove a couple gallons of muddy water down its throat. And that’s exactly what we did. Though our momentum nearly carried us completely out of the water, I managed to kill the engine just shy of making it to dry land. To put it mildly, this situation could be bad.

2020_Tremor_Press_040.jpg

The 7.3L Godzilla V8, this dirty girl can put in some work.

We found ourselves sitting in water, in a bricked truck that weighs 7,000 pound, several miles off road, and there was no help to be found anywhere nearby. There were essentially two options; start walking or start working. A decision was made, it was time to assess the situation. I tried cranking the engine. It would turn over and try to start, but it would not run. That’s actually a good sign. The engine isn’t hydro-locked. We figured the air filter had to be soaked, so Rich (my unfortunate passenger on this test drive) got volunteered to climb out and pull the filter. Not surprisingly, the factor paper filter was completely saturated but the water in the box had already drained out through a hole in the bottom. More good news though, there was no sign of water beyond the filter further down the intake tract.

2020_Tremor_Press_049.jpg

The South Carolina sugar sand makes it pretty easy to bury a 7,000 pound truck up to its Dana 275 rear axle.

While this little misadventure did expose a vulnerability, it also shows that the factory air filter may have been designed with just such a scenario in mind. With the thoroughly soaked filter removed and resting comfortably in the bed, the 7.3L Godzilla roared back to life and returned us safely to dry land. Though there were a multitude of check engine lights present, the truck ran fine. We finished up the off-road portion of our test, which the truck handled magnificently, and returned back to home base. Once we cleared the codes and installed a new dry air filter everything was back to normal. Had an aftermarket air filter been installed that few well may have not been the case. That’s something to keep in mind if you’re going to venture into some water with any newer Ford truck. It’s also an opportunity for an ambitious aftermarket company to design a snorkel kit for the Tremor Super Duty, which would probably look pretty bitchin’. All of this is covered in our full review video:

Back on the pavement, the Tremor is everything you could ask for from a full size truck that is highly capable of full size work. The ride is firm, without being harsh. The handling is better than expected, the brakes have serious stopping power, acceleration is brisk, and mileage isn’t eye wateringly terrible (~13MPG). The only complaint I have is with the factory equipped Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. I’m simply not a fan of them. To be sure, they do a decent job off-road. However, the level of on-road noise and roughness is far greater than acceptable given their off-road capability. I feel a Nitto Ridge Grappler is better off-road and an order of magnitude better on-road. But that’s a personal preference issue, and one that is easily solved. I’d just call up Discount Tire Direct and order some Nittos, and probably go up a size or two while I’m at it.

2020_Tremor_Press_007.jpg

A full-size matching spare is a thing of beauty on a truck equipped like the Tremor. Getting stuck in the woods with a basic spare could mean the difference between making it home and calling for help.

I think Ford has finally set out on the right path with the Tremor line of trucks (Super Duty, F-150, and Ranger). Over the years the Tremor nameplate has found its way onto a Ranger equipped big stereo and a parts-bin built F-150 (which I happen to like). The current lineup offers a nice upgrade in performance over the standard FX4 package without stepping on the toes of a Ford Performance model (such as the Raptor) or giving up utility; all at a reasonable price. For me, it’s a no-brainer. If I were in the market for any new Ford truck, I’d check the Tremor option box on the order form. It’s just that simple.

2020_Tremor_Press_033.jpg

This hidden storage compartment under the front center seat is a nice surprise. It could easily fit a full-size 1911 and enough brass to max out a credit card (at today's prices).

2020_Tremor_Press_046.jpg

The front Torsen differential in the Dana Super 60 is easily one of my favorite features in the Tremor. I'd add one to any Super Duty that didn't come equipped with it.

-SID297

Last edited:
VERY nice truck.

Amazing though, that an off road focused package cannot make it through 18" of water.

Ford needs to take another look at the intake design on trucks with the Tremor package.

It’s a nice truck but definitely not a TRUE off road rig. None of the full size ones are. Not designed for water to be going over the hood like that.

Going into a water hole hard like that was a mistake. Should have went in smooth and steady and then got moving once inside....

Glad you all figured out the problem, although I would not like to be the sucker buying that particular truck, after the fact....

VERY nice truck.

Amazing though, that an off road focused package cannot make it through 18" of water.

Ford needs to take another look at the intake design on trucks with the Tremor package.

If we would have gone through slower it wouldn't have had any issue. I'd say in the deepest part that hole was probably a little more than 2 feet deep.

It’s a nice truck but definitely not a TRUE off road rig. None of the full size ones are. Not designed for water to be going over the hood like that.

Going into a water hole hard like that was a mistake. Should have went in smooth and steady and then got moving once inside....

Glad you all figured out the problem, although I would not like to be the sucker buying that particular truck, after the fact....

Given the unknown bottom conditions, being alone, and as far out as we were; I stand by my decision to go in with a little speed. It wasn't the right decision in this particular case, but very easily could have been. That being the case, I'd look for a way to better seal that airbox if I was going to encounter water like that on the regular.

I'm just glad there was cold beer available & fire to discuss when we were finished.

I liked that truck/engine combo so much, I bought one. (Well ok a F250 Lariat FX4) but close enough.

I'm about to go enjoy some dollar beers at Hamburger Joe's.

How much of a compromise to towing does the Tremor package carry? A 7.3L Tremor is at the top of my list but we are looking to get a 5th wheel (or travel trailer) within the next year and I’m concerned the softer, off-road suspension might cost some confidence with a trailer attached.

How much of a compromise to towing does the Tremor package carry? A 7.3L Tremor is at the top of my list but we are looking to get a 5th wheel (or travel trailer) within the next year and I’m concerned the softer, off-road suspension might cost some confidence with a trailer attached.

Not really that much.

Great review on an awesome truck, Sid. I'm not a truck guy, but if I was, I'd definitely be looking seriously at the F-250 Tremor.

Great review on an awesome truck, Sid. I'm not a truck guy, but if I was, I'd definitely be looking seriously at the F-250 Tremor.

It's a lot of truck for the money Bob. I'd certainly skip the half tons and go for the Duty if I were in the market for a new truck.

I like the Super Duty. I own one with the 6.7, but they are terrible off road trucks. Ours has been off road twice and both times ended up stuck and had to be pulled out - One time on a mostly flat grassy surface: and the tires are in good shape! These trucks just weigh too much to be taken anywhere that is not dry and hard packed. At least that’s my experience. I’m less likely to get my Edge Sport stuck than I am this rig.

Interesting video comparison, Sid. Definitely to the eye, the new truck (especially the front clip) looks bigger.

The changes Ford made to the rear doors coupled with shortened the hood slightly was a smart move. Ford's really on target with these new trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread