Off and on engine miss

ArkLightning

Established Member
I have a 2003 Lightning with 17,500 miles on it with mild modifications (4lb pulley, CAI, tune) and for the last couple of years I've had an off and on again miss at light to med throttle. Probably misses at heavy throttle too but once it cuts out at medium throttle there's not much incentive to go heavy throttle.

This seems to have started a couple of years ago after I didn't drive it much and it sat with a full load of fuel in it - probably took most of a year to use it. I figured at the time the fuel went bad and phase-shifted. I never saw a check engine light come on and my ODB code reader is on the blink so I haven't checked for any codes. But, will it set a code without flashing the check engine light?

I dosed it up with Sea Foam and Star-Tron (supposed to reverse phase shift and disperse water in the tank back to the fuel) and it has typically cleared up for awhile. I also don't fill the tank up anymore - usually just buy enough for 2 or 3 months use. Went to a neighborhood gas station yesterday and put some premium ($15 worth) in and instantly as I left it went to missing. Now I'm suspecting some water in the fuel and I've dosed it up again with Sea Foam and Star Tron. I also went to another station and put $15 dollars more of 93 octane in. The first (neighborhood) station is a pretty busy station but they probably don't sell a ton of premium. Bad fuel is kind of a long shot but from memory the last two rounds of this missing seemed to be immediately after adding gas. Waiting to see if this dosing of Sea Foam and Star-Tron clears it up again.

The truck isn't a daily driver and isn't out in the rain - always garaged. I changed the fuel filter on it probably around 14,000 miles. Thinking I may try changing it again in case it has water or crud trapped in it.

Anyone experience similar problems. The miss is like a cylinder doesn't fire. Usually feel it driving under light to moderate throttle. Before dosing the tank up giving it some throttle in 3 or lock up will just cause it to stutter. Sometimes I feel a miss at idle when it's acting up. Stiil have the original coil packs but changed the plugs out when I put the 4 lb pulley on it around 12,000 miles.

Thoughts?

ArkLightning

Established Member
Forgot my SCT tuner will read codes. Checked with it and it said no codes.
Drove it again and still missing, stumbling. The Star Tron stuff is some sort of emzymes based product to breakdown water so it may take a day of so to work.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Forgot my SCT tuner will read codes. Checked with it and it said no codes.
Drove it again and still missing, stumbling. The Star Tron stuff is some sort of emzymes based product to breakdown water so it may take a day of so to work.

I had issue just like this on my cobra.

same story,miss started at random,than got to the point any time trying to accelerate,

no codes..

I had found a member to meet up with that had a set of 8 coils, just to use for testing..

instantly I felt miss was gone..

we just assumed they get weak after age not use

ArkLightning

Established Member
Thanks for responding. Interesting a weak coil pack miss didn't set a code. I'm going to let this gas stabilizer work on it a few day and get a fuel filter and change that again. If that doesn't do something I will probably look for a set of coil packs. I'm sure there are a lot of better ones around than the stock Ford ones.

Hate the thought of changing those things out. When I changed plugs I had to tie the coil pack screws to my pinky with thread on the back cylinders. I knew if I dropped one I would never find it back there.

Dusten

Established Member
Thanks for responding. Interesting a weak coil pack miss didn't set a code. I'm going to let this gas stabilizer work on it a few day and get a fuel filter and change that again. If that doesn't do something I will probably look for a set of coil packs. I'm sure there are a lot of better ones around than the stock Ford ones.

Hate the thought of changing those things out. When I changed plugs I had to tie the coil pack screws to my pinky with thread on the back cylinders. I knew if I dropped one I would never find it back there.

The thresh hold for a misfire cel on these trucks is insane. It takes a lot to pitch a cel. Like a misfire all the time. Truck has no knock sensor, so it cant detect intermittent misfires.

I woukd start with basics. Clean fuel. Fresh plugs. I wouldn't suspect a coil, but if the other two don't fix it, I'd look there next.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Not the same vehicle, but my 04 Escape would do the same. Went 3 weeks, no code until I scanned it. #4 misfire, new coil then ran like new. Stock coils are far superior to aftermarket.

hotcobra03

Established Member

oem coils are best.
ford does sell sets...
I have been working on an 03 150.this last week,he had 3 relays just blow.
pcm,ac clutch,and hvac blower .

these are tight to work on,
but not as tight as suv.that's like all day just for plugs..
lucky the cobra is wide open

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
also as evidenced by some guys in the lightning garage facebook group the Denso coil packs are just re-labeled motorcraft so if you can find them for a better a price it should be fine.

probably needs coils and plugs

ArkLightning

Established Member
Thanks - I did a Google search for Ford Lightning, engine miss, no code - and got probably hundreds of hits, most of them seeming to be related to coil packs going bad. Didn't realize the truck has such a primitive diagnostic system to where it can't even identify what cylinder a bad coil pack is on. My plugs probably only have about 5 - 6,000 miles on them and the thought of changing them again is not something I look forward to. But I guess I this narrows down the issue to a few things that are manageable.

Thanks for the responses.

ArkLightning

Established Member
$400 for Motorcraft COPs - ackk. Haven't checkeed out Denso yet but I will. I can't believe I'm asking this as I hate MSD, but anyone have any good reports on MSD or Accell COPs. For $200 if I get 5-10 years out of them I'll buy another set and break even.

Dusten

Established Member
$400 for Motorcraft COPs - ackk. Haven't checkeed out Denso yet but I will. I can't believe I'm asking this as I hate MSD, but anyone have any good reports on MSD or Accell COPs. For $200 if I get 5-10 years out of them I'll buy another set and break even.

Theyre prone to issues.

$34 on rockauto

7289c8f4d500c405ef3a899934bbae95.jpg

ArkLightning

Established Member
Found some on Amazon for a set of Motorcraft for $214. Verifying they are correct for a Lightning. I'm gathering the Lightning didn't use anything special over a standard 5.4 L.

Dusten

Established Member
Found some on Amazon for a set of Motorcraft for $214. Verifying they are correct for a Lightning. I'm gathering the Lightning didn't use anything special over a standard 5.4 L.
Becareful. A lot of counterfeits on amazon. And no they arent special.

ArkLightning

Established Member
What do you think of these? Hard to find good information on part # for the Lightning but it appears DG-508 is correct. Seem to be Motorcraft from all of the reviews.

ArkLightning

Established Member
Interesting. I had issues with a McLeod clutch I purchased off Amazon last year. McLeod at first refused to deal with it as they said they didn't authorize anyone to sell their products on Amazon. Finally they did verify it was their clutch but went out their door several years prior - to where they didn't say - and they did replace it.

Guess I'll go with the MSD or ACCELL from Summit - Even if they only last 3 or 4 years, I can go through 2 or 3 sets and i'll still be ahead of paying Ford dealership pricing.

Dusten

Established Member
Interesting. I had issues with a McLeod clutch I purchased off Amazon last year. McLeod at first refused to deal with it as they said they didn't authorize anyone to sell their products on Amazon. Finally they did verify it was their clutch but went out their door several years prior - to where they didn't say - and they did replace it.

Guess I'll go with the MSD or ACCELL from Summit - Even if they only last 3 or 4 years, I can go through 2 or 3 sets and i'll still be ahead of paying Ford dealership pricing.

The rock auto link I sent is valid. Theirs is good. Msd and accel are going to causes more issues than you want. Just get oem.

ArkLightning

Established Member
Frustrating - truck ran fine today without a miss. Almost afraid to ask how I can be sure the RockAuto plugs are not fake? Is this strictly an Amazon thing?

00L

Search and Rescue
Established Member
Are there any reasonably priced OBD readers that will tell you which cylinder is the issue to quickly narrow down which COP and/or plug may be failing?

Users who are viewing this thread