OEM coils MUCH better, MSD is garbage!

BigmotoXer

Established Member
After 162,000k miles I decide to replace my OEM coils with some MSD Blaster coils. The first day I get a misfire I threw a code po353c telling me that number 3 coil is bad. Put the OEM coils back and it works like a charm. I call MSD and say dude your crap is not working and they say oh we'll you will need to take that up with who you purchased it from, I said I purchased it from Beefcake racing andand they said that I would have to take it up with you (MSD), AND MSD SAYS OH SO THEY'RE NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY, and I said "not taking responsibility for your defective coil? Why should they?"
So they say "we will send you a replacement coil once you send us that one back", so I'll have to wait in the meantime, ...
Something else I found out this dudes email is @Holley, and they manufacture and sell Excel coils and manufacture and sell MSD coils... So don't be fooled into thinking you're getting something better by choosing one over the other because they're both made by the same crap company.
So now all I want to do is purchase OEM coils no matter the cost but I'm stuck with this $366 purchase that I can't get a refund for.
Buy OEM coils guys don't buy this dog crap.

Last edited:

ToddW702

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Hope your situation works out. I would have thought their customer service would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BigmotoXer

Established Member
This.

@OP Who's idea was it to go to the aftermarket coils?

Said person needs a head examination.

'If it aint broke don't fix it'

So I need my head examined? .. take it easy bro. .. I've got 160,000 miles on the OEM coils I figured it was time to replace them. And for your information it was Tim Eichhorn at MPR racing(my machinist) that told me to go with MSD coils.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I had 252,000 miles on my OEM coils in my 2004 Marauder.......never missed a beat!!:)

Put your OEM ones back on and send the MSD junk back for a full refund!!;)

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Guess WHAT?!!! on the way home today I throw another code po351 which is the #1 coil. I brought an oem coil with me and an 8mm socket/ratchet , changed it out and it was good to go. Beefcake racing told me to talk to MSD, MSD tells me to talk to Beefcake racing. I just want my money back. Terry I left a message for you today buddy, after spending $8k cash on a TT Hellion kit you gotta help me out brother... who knows I might just buy another one lol because they're soooo fast.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
I had 252,000 miles on my OEM coils in my 2004 Marauder.......never missed a beat!!:)

Put your OEM ones back on and send the MSD junk back for a full refund!!;)

... No one is giving me a full refund bro that's the problem beefcakes telling me to talk to MSD, MSD is telling me to talk to Beefcake and MSD told me flat out that if i would have bought them directly from MSD they would have refunded the money in full but because I bought them from Beefcake I will have to take it up with them and that MSD would only replace the defective coils once they receive the defective product coil/coils in the mail.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
fyi there are some posts going around on the lightning garage facebook group that it looks like I believe Denso are just reboxed Motorcraft coils and way cheaper.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
After 162,000k miles I decide to replace my OEM coils with some MSD Blaster coils. The first day I get a misfire I threw a code po353c telling me that number 3 coil is bad. Put the OEM coils back and it works like a charm. I call MSD and say dude your crap is not working and they say oh we'll you will need to take that up with who you purchased it from, I said I purchased it from Beefcake racing andand they said that I would have to take it up with you (MSD), AND MSD SAYS OH SO THEY'RE NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY, and I said "not taking responsibility for your defective coil? Why should they?"
So they say "we will send you a replacement coil once you send us that one back", so I'll have to wait in the meantime, ...
Something else I found out this dudes email is @Holly, and they manufacture and sell Excel coils and manufacture and sell MSD coils... So don't be fooled into thinking you're getting something better by choosing one over the other because they're both made by the same crap company.
So now all I want to do is purchase OEM coils no matter the cost but I'm stuck with this $366 purchase that I can't get a refund for.
Buy OEM coils guys don't buy this dog crap.
This is pretty funny considering how much those idiots charge for their engine management systems (Racepack). Pricing certain sensors in this setup will have your head spinning. I'd continue to fight it...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
... No one is giving me a full refund bro that's the problem beefcakes telling me to talk to MSD, MSD is telling me to talk to Beefcake and MSD told me flat out that if i would have bought them directly from MSD they would have refunded the money in full but because I bought them from Beefcake I will have to take it up with them and that MSD would only replace the defective coils once they receive the defective product coil/coils in the mail.
Is Beefcake an authorized dealer for MSD? If so MSD's statement is utter bullshit!

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Is Beefcake an authorized dealer for MSD? If so MSD's statement is utter bullshit!

That's what MSD told me, if I would have bought the coils directly from them I could have had a refund.

I called them back yesterday after work and I said "hi it's me again, today on the way home from work I threw another code po351(coil A) but fortunately I brought an oem coil with me because I don't think I have faith in MSD anymore, so I changed the MSD coil with the OEM coil and continued home"
So there was a long pause and then the guy says "can you hold" but then he never came back, I put the phone on speaker and let it sit there for an hour (@least 45 min)until it was closing time so I never got to talk to anyone.
Actually my battery eventually ran dead

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That's what MSD told me, if I would have bought the coils directly from them I could have had a refund.

I called them back yesterday after work and I said "hi it's me again, today on the way home from work I threw another code po351(coil A) but fortunately I brought an oem coil with me because I don't think I have faith in MSD anymore, so I changed the MSD coil with the OEM coil and continued home"
So there was a long pause and then the guy says "can you hold" but then he never came back, I put the phone on speaker and let it sit there for an hour (@least 45 min)until it was closing time so I never got to talk to anyone.
Actually my battery eventually ran dead

That's BS man, call back again today.
I've never bought MSD products, but I sure as hell wont now.

Users who are viewing this thread