Odd noise, can’t pinpoint it at all.

wckdvnm

Established Member
So here’s going to be a fun one; I have a tapping that comes and goes on the car that started before the accident I was in. The car would make a random non-consistent tap that would come and go. After getting the car back after the accident there was no noise for 2-3 months and now it came back.
It will not happen till the car is at 182-198 any higher or lower it won’t tap; and to further add to it the sound only happens from 850ish rpm till about 1,100. Best way to describe it is a tap that happens on the right side of the engine and it isn’t constant.
It’s in a period of “tap-pause for 5/6 seconds- tap- pause for 2 seconds-tap/tap”. There was nothing in the oil and the car runs perfectly fine it just sounds awful.
I can try to get a video of it later in the day before work I’m just so confused here.

hotcobra03

Established Member
sounds like an idler bearing going..

the stock lower will do that also..you can try to move belt by hand..

I also had a strange rattle..abs bracket was loose.it was also a come and go noise

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Factory idlers or billet idlers? If it's inconsistent, I'd lean towards a bearing issue. Do you have a stethoscope that you can use to better pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

MG0h3

Established Member
Agree with Bob. Buy a stethoscope or order one from summit. Use the open tube to narrow it down then the metal tip if needed to pinpoint. Saves so much time and possibly money.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wckdvnm

Established Member
Factory idlers or billet idlers? If it's inconsistent, I'd lean towards a bearing issue. Do you have a stethoscope that you can use to better pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

Car still all stock bob. For S’s and G’s I sprayed WD-40 on the idlers I could see and the sound seemed to diminish. The billet idlers will be going on with the rest of the mods later in the year. I’m guessing it’s one of the inner idlers starting to fail as it’s not a constant noise.

MG0h3

Established Member
Lube shouldn't change any noise relating to the bearings as they are sealed. I'd never describe belt noise as a tap but they can make odd noises. Water will change belt noise temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Car still all stock bob. For S’s and G’s I sprayed WD-40 on the idlers I could see and the sound seemed to diminish. The billet idlers will be going on with the rest of the mods later in the year. I’m guessing it’s one of the inner idlers starting to fail as it’s not a constant noise.
If the sound definitely diminished, it could very well be an idler starting to fail. If your installation of the billet idlers eliminates the noise, post a follow-up/resolution here for those who might read this thread. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread