Occupational DL

yellowbra

Established Member
Hey guys I have a question for the LEO's or the people that might know alot on the subject. I got a OWI not to long ago and now I have a occupational DL. I am allowed to drive up to 60 hours per week. Now my question is, am I allowed to drive anywhere and everywhere during my allotted hours?? Or am I supposed to be only driving to work and back?? Meaning if I have my hours set for 7:30AM through 6:30pm on a tuesday because I work that day. Now if I get sick and don't go in am I able to drive over to a buddies house to just chill and hang out like I normally would when I did have my DL??? I just want to know because I have like 5 more months left.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not a LEO but my understanding is that you are not allowed to drive for "recreational" purposes, so I think that would include driving over to a buddies place. I would like to hear more from a LEO as I am looking at needing an occupational in the near future as well.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
An occupational license is actually a limited license. It allows you to drive to and from work. It does not allow you to drive to your friend's house or someplace to chill. You dont have a driver's license, you have a temporary exemption with strict limitations. I suggest you dont abuse that privilege.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Not an LEO but, here in Texas the permit is for taking care of business only within the county line. (grocery store, work, hospital) They also require you to keep a log of your time/destination of where your are going. Your DOT should have given you paper work of all the stipulations while driving with this permit. You might want to reread and carry that paper work with you during transit.

yellowbra

Established Member
thanks for the replies guys. All I filled out at the DMV was the hours i needed. It didn't say anything about this so thats why I asked.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
stupid question regarding the conditional license. i dont drink and drive, but i was wondering if you had the one where it was only for to and from work, are you allowed to make stops along the way like for food etc?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
stupid question regarding the conditional license. i dont drink and drive, but i was wondering if you had the one where it was only for to and from work, are you allowed to make stops along the way like for food etc?

Although each one is different, generally you can stop on your way home from work to pick up necessities as long as you dont deviate from your course.

yellowbra

Established Member
Although each one is different, generally you can stop on your way home from work to pick up necessities as long as you dont deviate from your course.

yeah but I work for an apartment company. We have many and many complexes throughout the Milwaukee county area. I work generally in one area but what if I were to go to another property to help out?

NoUseForANym

Established Member
You are allowed to drive within your specified hours for any work related matter, along with this you are allowed to take care of necessary tasks such as grocery shopping, running to the pharmacy, etc.... If your work area is spread out over a large area you may drive to those destinations, so long as it is within your hours for the day. If you are stopped for any reason during your hours you could more than likely convince the officer that it's work related, but it isn't worth the risk as it may result in more tickets, fines, possible jail time etc. Your best bet is stick to work related driving only. Be grateful that you live in Wisconsin and a first offense is basically a slap on the hand, don't make it any worse than it has to be by racking up more traffic offenses.

Users who are viewing this thread