OBX Racing Sports?

svt-lightning99

Established Member
I see some headers from OBX stainless steel how good is this company and it's a complete set for 500 what do you guys think about OBX?

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
yea I want to get em too. someone else on here a bought a set but he never told us the out come.

ecoastkid

Established Member
I've heard maybe 1 or 2 people get them on with minimal issues (I'd say very lucky). Most I have read say its totaly garbage. I would stay away...let the ebay masses with their lightning clones get that crap...nothing but the best for our real L's

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
I have a set sitting in the box.

For $500 I am taking the risk that I'll need another $100 in work to make them perfect. New clamps, bolts, gaskets, and all will be well. :beer:

You can't touch that price for long tubes WITH mid pipes!

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
same here, i have them, just havent got to install them yet. my plan was to just make my own exhaust system. starting with these headers. and just fab the rest. maby try the SPL LMII " mufflers" or a knock off magna flow set up. but as far as the fitment, not sure yet.

knkfiend

Professional Exploder
Established Member
on the subject of headers, why the hell are they so expensive, even for shorties? pushrod ceramic headers made by the same company are like 300 bucks. what gives?

svt-lightning99

Established Member
ok what kind of problems can they cause? engine or smog b/c I live in cali LA and there a pain in the ass about smog test. and 500 bucks isn't bad but it's true you get what you paid for. damn I wounder if I should take the chance? but I want the best for my L too to make her happy

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I learned a long time ago that cheap headers never end up being cheap because they end up getting replaced by something that fits right, doesn't blow out gaskets, and doesn't rust.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
well its stainless :shrug:

not all stainless is truely rust proof brother.
Low grade stainless while strong and will stand up to some corrosion will eventually rust. A high quality stainless is strong and doesnt rust but costs more.
I've never seen 316LVM rust but it would never last for headers, and would cost a pretty penny

mcafferty

Established Member
I am looking into a set of obx headers any update from the people that have them? where did you end up getting them from? thanks...

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Ive talked to a couple people who bought them and ended up pretty much retooling them. the flanges were no where near flush,lots of blown out gaskets and sealing problems.But thats been over a year ago,i dont know if they got better.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I bought the set of OBX longtubesz off of ebay. I really don't see where a set of headers should cost $1300 or $1500 dollars. Yeah you get what you pay for but i think your paying for a name more than a product. The OBX headers are to me made and designed very good. I had to put a lil ding on the pasenger side to keep it off the frame rail but not a major dent. I put the factory exhaust gaskets back on and never had a leak so far, they been on the truck for about 4,000 miles. They come with resonators instead of cats, which makes them a lil loud but i love the sound. As far as the welds they are top notch and i seen no bad welds on my set. Now the exhaust band clamps that come with them are JUNK, throw them away and get a set of good stainless ones from summit. And they went on easy, the mids was a lil tricky to get lined up but in all the install was simple. I'm not saying every set will be perfect, maybe there are some bad ones. But i do know for the price, the fit, the ease of installation, you can't go wrong with a set for the price. Just my .02

Last edited:

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I have a set sitting in the box.

For $500 I am taking the risk that I'll need another $100 in work to make them perfect. New clamps, bolts, gaskets, and all will be well. :beer:

You can't touch that price for long tubes WITH mid pipes!

Thats the reason I will not get a set of them. I understand they are cheaper than the other brands that have been around for a while. But still should come with all the hardware to install the kit for them to be installed correctly.

SADF

Established Member
If I get LongTubes, Im getting these. Im obviously not afraid to modify things and fabricate. Id rather save $700 and fabricate any other stuff. Don't be scared!

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
As far as installing them,they went on very easy. No heat sheilds issues nothing to bend or modify at all. Like i said before i had to put a lil ding in one tube but that was it. Now to get the resonators and pipes lined up with the muffler will take a lil time. But i removed my complete exhaust, dropped my trans changed the converter, and was back on the road in 6 1/2 hours.

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
a buddy of mine just ordered some, so i will wait and see how he likes them. I want headers but i dont want to get robbed paying for them just cause of the name on them. Especially if the hp gain isnt that much for the $$ and work put into installing them.

BuckeyeLightnin

Established Member
wut about pacesetters?...i had them on my 2000 lariat the only issue i had was that one tube bent over one of the screw holes i hade to cut the screw in half just to get in the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread