OBD II issue in NYS

SN95COBRALOVER

Established Member
good evening gents
I have an issue that requires some subject matter expertise / guidance
I purchased my supercharged 1996 SVT Cobra from PA where there is no OBD II emissions requirement.
my home state of new york aka the NANNY State requires all 1996 and newer cars to go through a OBD II scan for emissions purposes.
no scanner at any NYS inspection facility can read the OBD II in the car but I can read the ECU with my hand held scanner. as a result, I cannot renew my registration for the car.
I suspect the boys in PA modified the ECU emissions software but I can read it with my SCT scanner.
I purchased another stock OBD II ECU from ebay, but I do not want to remove the currently installed ECU and risk the car not running well.

What are my options?
a. turn in the plates, and re register the car (costly but the more preferable course of action)
b. find a shop that can do me a solid (risky because I have no friends / connections and not the most preferred course of action)
c. remove the modified ECU/ install the Stock ECU and hope the car passes inspection (least preferred course of action due to the risk of screwing up the car
d. create some sort of dummy OBD II system with the stock ECU for inspection purposes (how would that work?)

any guidance will be greatly appreciated

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
How much of the Emissions stuff has been removed from the car?
You can get the car retuned to have certain things working again or readable.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Try to read it with a generic scanner that'll check codes and readiness monitors. If that can read it, then bring that with you to the state inspection place.

decipha

Established Member
no if you can read it they should be able to as well

replacing the ecu is going to solve nothing since theres nothing wrong with your ecu

what issue are they having specifically?

SN95COBRALOVER

Established Member
the car mechanically has no issue, but the NYS inspectors cannot read the ECU. I can read it with my cheap Auto zone scanner and the SCT tuner scanner that came with the car, but I have been to 4 different locations that do NYS inspections and no one can plug in and read the car.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
the car mechanically has no issue, but the NYS inspectors cannot read the ECU. I can read it with my cheap Auto zone scanner and the SCT tuner scanner that came with the car, but I have been to 4 different locations that do NYS inspections and no one can plug in and read the car.
That makes no sense. This is a new issue for me.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SN95COBRALOVER

Established Member
it has to be NYS
but what annoys me is the fact that I can read the codes with my walmart scanner, SCT tuner and my scanner from harbor freight
i had a spark plug issue is cylinder #3 and the scanner read it.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Or you could wait two more years till it’s emissions exempt and doesn’t need to be plugged in. Mines sitting in the garage till such time

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Edit: Sent as PM probably not smart to post public.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread