o2 sensor help please

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
so, car threw couple of codes a couple weeks back but I've been to busy with EOD school to really do anything about them so I parked my car.

These are the codes that I got:

P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich
P2198 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich

First off, how many o2 sensors does an 03 cobra have and what are their locations?:shrug:

Second, how can I tell which o2 sensor(s) went bad?:shrug:

Thirdly, does it matter what brand of o2 sensor I use to replace the bad sensor(s) with?:shrug:

My exhaust setup is as follows:

BASSANI o/r X PIPE (no catt's)
FLOWMASTER SUPER 44 CAT-BACK EXHAUST

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

jimc04

Established Member
you have 4 two upstream which are the main ones . then you have two downstreams they are mainly for cats. do you have a handheld? or you could go to autozone they will check for free. i would buy dealer o2s you could buy bosch they are cheaper.

Last edited:

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
you have 4 two upstream which are the main ones . then you have two downstreams they are mainly for cats. do you have a handheld? or you could go to autozone they will check for free. i would buy dealer o2s you could buy bosch they are cheaper.

When you say "hand-held" what do you mean? A hand-held tuner? if so, then yes I do, thats how I read the codes. if not, please explain.

TVSCobra

Established Member
The oxygen sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. This code is indicating that the PCM is adding fuel. There are parameters set in the PCM for adaptation, it is constantly making small adjustments to fuel trim. If it keeps adding or taking away fuel and begins to get out of range it will through the check engine light. There are many things that can cause these codes. In your case I would check for a vacuum leak, bad/dirty mass air sensor, or a fuel related issue. How does the car perform otherwise? Has there been any work done lately on the car? You could also have an exhaust leak before the pre-cat o2 sensors. Since you also have P0148, you could also have a clogged fuel filter. Give me more information on the car.

hotcobra03

Established Member
codes

The oxygen sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. This code is indicating that the PCM is adding fuel. There are parameters set in the PCM for adaptation, it is constantly making small adjustments to fuel trim. If it keeps adding or taking away fuel and begins to get out of range it will through the check engine light. There are many things that can cause these codes. In your case I would check for a vacuum leak, bad/dirty mass air sensor, or a fuel related issue. How does the car perform otherwise? Has there been any work done lately on the car? You could also have an exhaust leak before the pre-cat o2 sensors. Since you also have P0148, you could also have a clogged fuel filter. Give me more information on the car.

he is right,many things can cause the codes

your codes tell what o2 is sending the code

im just learning and have found that with o2 codes with both banks coming up the o2 are most likely good and some thing else is the cause...

more info would help,,,do you have a cold air intake?

po2196 is 02#11 right front or bank 1
po2198 is o2 #21 left front or bank 2

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Along with checking the fuel filter,also check for leaks around the intake.You could be getting un-metered air.Have you done a pprv delete? I`ve seen a hose pop off and send this code also.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member

I have checked and rechecked for a vacuum leak and found nothing but it can hurt to look again. I can try cleaning to MAF. The fuel filter was changed less than 1000 miles ago, could it be possible that I got a "bad" one? I'm gonna put the car on the lift this weekend and check the resistance of my o2 sensors (buddy told me I can check them that way, correct me if he's wrong please)

As far as performance of the car goes, it runs fairly well. It bucks/hesitates/ "sounds-like-its-missing" (best I can describe it) in the low RPM range (anything under 3000) but as soon as car gets above 3000, it runs like a beast, pulls like a freight train. I've been trying to figure that out for ever now it feels like... Plugs look brand new still, less than 2000 miles on them (NGK-TR6 gaped at .32). Let me know if you need anymore information about the car. Thanks for your help in the matter

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
he is right,many things can cause the codes

your codes tell what o2 is sending the code

im just learning and have found that with o2 codes with both banks coming up the o2 are most likely good and some thing else is the cause...

more info would help,,,do you have a cold air intake?

po2196 is 02#11 right front or bank 1
po2198 is o2 #21 left front or bank 2

Look at my post direcly above this one, that should help you with more info. If you need anymore, let me know. As far as the CAI, it has a Steeda RAI

Along with checking the fuel filter,also check for leaks around the intake.You could be getting un-metered air.Have you done a pprv delete? I`ve seen a hose pop off and send this code also.

Ok, I can check for any type of leak around the intake area. As farr as the the PPRV delet, I have no idea. I bought the car pretty much as is, only done a few minor things, not performance mods. How would I go about checking for the PPRV delete?

RED99VASVT

Established Member
Everyone else has stated the most likely things, but I had a similar problem on my 99 Cobra and it turned out to be a blown fuse that powered the o2 sensors. Mine run at highway speed OK, but idled rougher and the fuel consumption went way up (poor mileage). Replaced the fuse and all was well.
A long shot, but you may want to check it.
Good luck.

hotcobra03

Established Member
codes

Everyone else has stated the most likely things, but I had a similar problem on my 99 Cobra and it turned out to be a blown fuse that powered the o2 sensors. Mine run at highway speed OK, but idled rougher and the fuel consumption went way up (poor mileage). Replaced the fuse and all was well.
Good luck.

i think the fuse is for the heater in the o2`s... your codes will tell what to do...what you need is a manual...here is from the ford manual on what to do.....
H40 DTCs P1131, P1132, P1151, P1152, P2195, P2196, P2197 AND P2198: UPSTREAM HO2S NOT SWITCHING.

• Note: It is necessary to address all Continuous Memory Ignition and Misfire DTCs, if received during Continuous Memory testing, before addressing any KOER HO2S DTCs.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:
    • HO2S-11 = DTCs P1131, P1132, P2195 and P2196
    • HO2S-21 = DTCs P1151, P1152, P2197 and P2198
  • Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions and damage.
  • Check air cleaner element, air cleaner housing for blockage.
  • Verify integrity of the PCV system.
  • Check for vacuum leaks.
if ok go to dc25 which is for maf
DC25 DTC P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P1131, P1132, P1151, P1152, P1130, P1150, P2195, P2196, P2197, P2198 OR LEAN DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS: CHECK CONDITIONS RELATED TO MAF SENSOR

• Note: Most weather service reports are a local barometric pressure that has been corrected to sea level. However, the BARO PID reports the actual barometric pressure for the altitude the vehicle is being diagnosed in. Local weather conditions (high or low pressure areas) will change the local barometric pressure by several inches of mercury [+/- 3 Hz. (+/- 1 in.Hg.)].
  • Verify the MAF sensor is connected. If not, repair as necessary.
  • Key on, engine running.
  • Access the BARO, LONGFT1, LONGFT2 and MAF V PIDs on fully warmed-up engine.
  • Check that the BARO PID is approximately the same as the barometric pressure reading for the location, day and altitude the vehicle is being diagnosed at.
    • BARO PID values in Keep Alive Memory require updating at high throttle openings. If vehicle is driven down from higher altitudes for diagnosing, complete three or four heavy accelerations at greater than half-throttle to allow BARO PID to update.
    • BARO PID must be within +/- 6 Hz. (+/- 2 in.Hg.) of the altitude value in Barometric Pressure Reference Chart (at the beginning of this pinpoint test).
    • Make BARO PID comparisons to Barometric Pressure Reference Chart or daily airport barometric pressure reports, if available.
  • Check that the LONGFT1 and LONGFT2 PIDS for all injector banks at idle is not more negative than -12%.
  • Check that the MAF V PID at idle and neutral is not greater than 30% of the normal MAF V listed in Section 6 , Reference Values (or not greater than 1.1 volts).
Are two of the above three checks OK?
Yes No For DTC P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P1131, P1132, P1151, P1152, P1130, P1150, P2195, P2196, P2197 or P2198 : GO to H42 (or GO to HA42 for natural gas vehicles only). For driveability symptoms without DTCs : RETURN to Section 3 , Symptom Charts for further diagnosis. KEY OFF. GO to DC26 .
DC26 CHECK TO ISOLATE MAF SENSOR FROM LEAN DRIVEABILITY OCCURENCE

• Note: Due to increasingly stringent emission/OBD II requirements, a fuel system DTC on some vehicles will be generated without a noticeable driveability concern with or without the MAF sensor disconnected. Under these conditions, if the BARO, LONGFT1, LONGFT2 and MAF V PID indicates a MAF sensor concern, replace the MAF sensor.
  • Disconnect the MAF sensor.
  • Key on, engine running.
  • Drive the vehicle.
Is the lean driveability symptom (lack of power, spark knock/detonation, buck/jerk or hesitation/surge on acceleration) gone?
Yes No REPLACE MAF sensor.

RESET Keep Alive random Access Memory (RAM) (REFER to Section 2, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset ).

VERIFY a symptom no longer exists. For DTC P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P1131, P1132, P1151, P1152, P1130, P1150, P2195, P2196, P2197 or P2198 : GO to H42 (or GO to HA42 for natural gas vehicles only).

For lean driveability symptoms listed without DTCs : RETURN to Section 3 , Symptom Charts for further diagnosis.

hotcobra03

Established Member
codes

When you say "hand-held" what do you mean? A hand-held tuner? if so, then yes I do, thats how I read the codes. if not, please explain.

what type of hand held do you have...i use my predator .

you can use them to read the o2s/fuel trim ..

my cobra has 266k and ive had some problems with leaks,,what i did was pull the whole vacuum harness out to check and found 3 areas with leaks and restrictions...i replaced it with a new harness from ford it was around 65 bucks

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
Good luck.

umm... What fuse number was it? and where was it located? in car or engine bay

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
what type of hand held do you have...i use my predator .

you can use them to read the o2s/fuel trim ..

my cobra has 266k and ive had some problems with leaks,,what i did was pull the whole vacuum harness out to check and found 3 areas with leaks and restrictions...i replaced it with a new harness from ford it was around 65 bucks

I have a SCT LiveWire. What should I monitor to check them?

TVSCobra

Established Member
You need to check the short term and long term fuel trim. Also look at both the precat 02 sensors and see if they are switching should be between .1volts and .9 volts at idle and cruise. Want are your MAF counts at idle? You may want to get a can of brake clean and spray around the intake tubes and pcv area and see if the engine changes pitch. This is a easy way to find vacuum leaks but it doesn't always work.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Check ur fuel press. 1st. 148 is for a lean cond. @wot for at least one bank. since it set both o2 codes, ur probably looking at something that affects both banks ie maf fuel press. i bet low press. is the cause, the 02's are just picking up on it. or it's possible to get bad info from a dirty mass air flow sensor. remeber, 02 are "oxygen sensors", they dont measure unburned fuel, rather the oxygen thats left over after ignition, so low fuel, unburned mixture, extra oxygen past the sensor..."rich"
hope this helps:)

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
codes

as you can see from his post to fords book,,,start with a good cleaning of the air intake and really look at vacuum and pcv system,,,

my car is still stock so with the hp your claiming you have changes ,,,

i asked about cai because i was helping a guy out with this code and his was the air filter was too far on the tube changing the air flow:shrug:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
i asked about cai because i was helping a guy out with this code and his was the air filter was too far on the tube changing the air flow
could be because of where the maf is in relation to stock location. Changes the transfer function. That is also a possibility if it didnt get masked in the tune.\

Vacuum leak would cause lean codes, BTW, unmetered air into the eng.

Last edited:

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
hey guys, thanks for all the help and input. I'm gonna be taking a good hard looking through her in the afternoon and will let you guys know how it goes. thanks again for all the input.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
So, I'm back again. Just a quick piece of information for you guys, dont get a verizon wireless mobile air car, they suck a$$.

Thanks for everyone's input as far as what to do about my car. I've only been able to do a few things but now I'm home for good so for the next few days my car is going to be my center of attention.

So, heres a quick update:

Checked all my fuses and all are good.

Looked and listened for a vacuum leak and cant find anything. Going to try spraying water around the engine while running to see if I can find anything that way.

Cleaned MAF.

To do list:

Pull plugs and re check gap (just want to do it)

Clean air filter.

fuel filter (maybe, just changed it less than 1000 miles ago, wouldnt mind doing it, just need to get to a lift)

Let me know if there is anything ales to do please. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread