o2 Sensor Failure without E85?

04YellowGT

Established Member
Background: 2011 M6 GT, 21k miles, Lund Tune 93oct, Airaid, Full MBRP Exhaust with LTs.

Car has been running a little rough all year and I finally had time to look into it. No CEL but when I hooked up the tuner is was throwing p2195. I bought a new o2 sensor and also new plugs. I ended up throwing in ngk 6510s gaped at .032 because I'm going to be installing a procharger later this month. Checked the sensor and it was shot and passenger side plugs were pig rich black. I took the car for a quick spin after changing everything out and the car runs much better. Checked for codes and came back clean.

I've know e85 can kill o2s without changing the position of the o2s but what about straight 93oct? Is this common or is something else going on?

basspro302

Established Member
I work in a shop, ive noticed most lamda sensors are more prone to failure probably due to the higher temps they run at. I wouldn’t stress about it tho. I have a p1 procharger and replace the lamdas every 2 years or so just for piece of mind

scotmach

Established Member
I had American Racing longtubes and never ran E85 but still killed o2 sensors. This is what makes the Kooks mid lengths so good.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to move the o2s next year and see how things pan out. It just seems crazy that o2s are failing with LTs and all these exhaust manufacturers aren't chainging their designs to prevent the failures.

Users who are viewing this thread