O/R xpipe and no tune=

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
What's up guys been tossing this around for weeks i know our cars have a cool down cat feature and I'm not worried about a cel or anything like that. Has anyone out there have or had a o/r xpipe with no tune on there 5.0? :shrug:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Yep. It will smell of fuel pretty bad when you come to a stop and a CEL after 3 key cycles.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Most people will get a check engine light and not much else.

I can attest to some cars freaking the hell out with a stock tune and no cats though- extremely rough running on startup until the o2's light. It's very rare, but get a tune.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Yep. It will smell of fuel pretty bad when you come to a stop and a CEL after 3 key cycles.
But you can use the anti foulers to stop the cel from coming on.

I can attest to some cars freaking the hell out with a stock tune and no cats though- extremely rough running on startup until the o2's light. It's very rare, but get a tune.

Not gonna get a tune it's out of the question...that's why I'm looking for a defenative answer from somebody.. Or i will just get the xpipe and anti's and if runs ruff just take them back off.:shrug:

Bud

Established Member

^^^That

On cold startups my motor would pop and fart, sounding like all hell was breaking loose with the OEM tune and offroad-H. Seemed to miss badly and backfire through the intake. Ran fine everywhere else, just a CEL. Only happened on the first key cycle from a dead cold start.

Don't think many people have that problem, but I was one of the lucky ones.

vortecd

Established Member
Any thought about doing an x-pipe mid-pipe and leaving the cats on?

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Any thought about doing an x-pipe mid-pipe and leaving the cats on?
Sound expensive lol nah I want the car to be loud to be kinda like my cobra was. :beer:
Just curious as to why you don't want a tune?

Looking to keep the warranty for as long as possible you never know what can happen and its a brand new car:beer:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
But you can use the anti foulers to stop the cel from coming on.

Not gonna get a tune it's out of the question...that's why I'm looking for a defenative answer from somebody.. Or i will just get the xpipe and anti's and if runs ruff just take them back off.:shrug:

Yes you can use the anti-foulers to combat the CEL but the car will continue to dump fuel in an attempt to cool the cats and it will STINK when you roll to a stop. I ran my car without cats and no tune while waiting for a tune update after removing my JLT intake. The car ran just fine but it stank at traffic lights to the point of being noxious.

As others have asked, why is a tune completely out of the question?

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
o/r mid pipe with no tune is a bad idea. If you're looking for a louder car, get some aggressive axle backs and cut out the resonators. Your warranty will still be intact.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Just putting a tune on your car will not void the warranty. If you have a failure they would have to prove the tune caused the failure. Its a law.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Just putting a tune on your car will not void the warranty. If you have a failure they would have to prove the tune caused the failure. Its a law.

^This, but its a very touchy subject. A lot of it comes down to the dealership/mechanic you get. Now if you blow your motor then yes your screwed, but if its something small then it can be hit or miss. People have been denied warranty work for having excess runner stuck to the bottom of the car from doing burnouts. The dealerships claim they are subjecting the car to excessive stress and misuse. So a tune isn't the only way to get your warranty canceled. OP, look into the diablo intune as it is claimed to not reset key cycles which is how the dealerships tell if the tune has been changed.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Yea any type of tune is out of the question... I guess I'm looking in the jc over axles.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
from what I understand, when you get tuned, they turn off the COT (cat over temp) feature in the tune.

if you run the anti-fouler with no cat (o/r x) is the sensor gonna think it's running hotter??? is the temp actually hotter???? why would the ecu dump more gas??? (what is really hotter???)

I could see not using the anti-fouler and having a CEL then the ecu is looking for something but if you're using the anti-fouler why would the ecu dump more fuel??? just wondering???

anyone follow what i'm saying????

Roadhouse

Established Member
I would be more concerned about screwing something up with running no cats/no tune than running a tune, regardless of the warranty issue. In my opinion, if you want to keep the warranty intact then just run an aggressive axle back setup, cut out the resonators and call it a day. Slap a tune on that ride and you'll be a happy man :)

Users who are viewing this thread