NYS SLEEP Act

Jrs7686

Established Member

"3 (b) No person shall, in the state, sell, offer for sale or install any 4 of the following for the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle:
5 a cut-out, bypass, or a similar device which will amplify or increase 6 the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above 7 that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on 8 the vehicle.".....

Who here is concerned what they are to do about this ACT that goes into effect April 1 2022 here in NYS?

I thinking about waiting it out to see if it gets changed to something reasonable.

Seeing if anyone else has any input as to how they will comply with this.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I have the NPP exhaust on my car which I keep tied to the driving modes. I can just throw it in Touring mode whenever I want or keep it in any mode I want manually. It makes a HUGE difference when you “allegedly“ have headers and a big cam.

The comments on the bill were hilarious too. As if loud exhausts give you PTSD. ****ing Nutjobs.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting, guess it just depends on how they enforce it… FL has a law about any replacement exhaust must be the same DB level as stock but it’s super rare to get cited for it… usually it’s when jackasses have these pop up meets in private property without permission, doing donuts and shit

Ramairgt1

ST 'D
Established Member
Buddy of mine owns a shop in NY. He received this letter from the DMV

Attachments

• 277527333_4861218680600316_3589262780931846658_n.jpg
    277527333_4861218680600316_3589262780931846658_n.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 165

Jrs7686

Established Member
Interesting, guess it just depends on how they enforce it… FL has a law about any replacement exhaust must be the same DB level as stock but it’s super rare to get cited for it… usually it’s when jackasses have these pop up meets in private property without permission, doing donuts and shit

Buddy of mine owns a shop in NY. He received this letter from the DMV
This is crazy, so how are you suppose to know what factory exhaust noise level is ?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wisconsin has a statute on the books about no exhaust can emit more sound than the exhaust the vehicle was originally equipped with.

In practice, the only time it gets used is if a cop is looking to write a guy every ticket possible.

I know several cops who have significantly louder than factory exhausts so it just shows how the law is disregarded.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does CA already have this law in effect? They're first in everything anti-automotive mods.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Wisconsin has a statute on the books about no exhaust can emit more sound than the exhaust the vehicle was originally equipped with.

In practice, the only time it gets used is if a cop is looking to write a guy every ticket possible.

I know several cops who have significantly louder than factory exhausts so it just shows how the law is disregarded.
Exactly. Just an excuse to bust balls like window tint.

Users who are viewing this thread