Nut and Bolt

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
In a nutshell:

On an exhaust flange I have a nut and bolt (obviously) in which the bolt was stationary and essentially pressed into the medal but I pulled too hard while loosening and now the nut can't be removed because the bolt keeps spinning. The nut was sprayed with PB and it was still locked on. Once the nut is off I can just put in another nut/bolt but I can't remove the pisser. How to fix?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Is this where the exhaust manifold bolts to the tailpipe? If so can you not take off the tailpipe? I mean if the bolt that is pressed into the manifold is spinning I would thing that you should be able to remove the tailpipe bolt and all. How you would repress the bolt back into the manifold I do not know.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Had that happen on my 2014 GT and tried a couple methods. First tried tack welding the bolt head in place, that didn't work. Second attempt was an air chisel on the head of the bolt and it came right off.

lastcall190

Established Member
Or if you can get a set of vice grips on the shank or thread of the bolt, grip it down and align in a position that will have it so that as you loosen the bolt, the vice grips will hit the body/sheetmetal/etc. and keep the bolt from rotating as well. Just a thought.

-J

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies.

This is the flange at the end of the midpipe (testpipe or whatever you like) that bolts to the four ft or so pipe that connects with the left and right mufflers. The bolt can't be grabbed with enough grip. Basically what I figured to do is use a nut cracker allowing the bolt to come out and slide in a fresh nut/bolt/washer.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Bump

IMG_0829.JPG

This is the back side facing the engine and unless I am retarded, it looks round, yes? On the opposite side the nut has some dept roughly half an inch so when I use the nut splitter I'm only getting a 1/4 split with the remaining 1/4 untouched. I don't know if that bolt was pressed into the metal or welded into the metal.

I can not even get a bolt out onto that round head let alone a pair of vices or socket.

lastcall190

Established Member
If you can get between the flange, sawzall or cutoff wheel on the bolt itself. Then once the pieces are separated, take the offender out from under the car, throw in a vice, and work on it with more space. I think I can get what's going on there...

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Good idea. A gap between the two flanges is easily achievable considering it would only need to be a vagina hair thicker than the blade. Once it is cut and the pieces are popped out, it'll just be replaced with a new stainless nut/bolt/washer.

Users who are viewing this thread